Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

T5R boost question / help please

Views : 6481

Replies : 118

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 12th, 2022, 15:21   #101
sdg1970
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupbelly View Post
UPDATE
Finish work early on a Friday so thought I’d attack the down pipe. Three easy nuts and tried to release the down pipe from the turbo housing. I left the nuts on the studs so as not to lose them and to prevent the down pipe dropping off!

Couldn’t release it, despite the nuts being most of the way down the thread. Balls to it I’ll start it and let it run for a bit. After a minute there was a POP! and the down pipe came away from the turbo. Sounding like something from Mad Max I thought I’d give it a drive briefly. Off to the end of the street and turn left. Well for the first time in 6 months (I got the tax reminder today!) I had full boost! The boost gauge whizzed over to 3/4!! ABOUT BLOODY TIME!!

So a quick zip down the road and back with an open turbo wastegate and zero exhaust it’s showing boost and had some oomph! Only did 30mph or so but it was boosting.

Parked up sounding like a stock car crossed with Mad Max and shut it down.

So it would seem it’s a blocked cat after all this bloody time! I’m off to an exhaust fabrication place tomorrow to see about a full hand made stainless system and then I can finally drive and get some miles and enjoyment out of the thing!!!

Stay tuned!!

Anyone got a sports cat going spare?
Great news, looking like it's solved!! I do have a 3" sports downpipe and 200 cel cat I got from JT Tuning in Sweden about 4 years back. I took it off in the end because the internal drone was truly HORRENDOUS and it needed to get VERY hot to barely scrape through emissions on the MOT. I think it cost me circa £550. I might sell it. Pm me if interested.
sdg1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2022, 17:36   #102
Pupbelly

PM sent I think, it doesn’t show as sent so if you could check please and let me know. 👍🏼
Pupbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2022, 18:17   #103
s1monc

I have a JT Superflow exhaust and Flux fabrications 3 inch downpipe on one of mine and it’s quite loud! My other T-5R has a Jetex and S70 T5 cat which sounds very very quiet. JT Superflow sounds much better but a bit much for everyday.
s1monc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2022, 21:45   #104
sdg1970
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1monc View Post
I have a JT Superflow exhaust and Flux fabrications 3 inch downpipe on one of mine and it’s quite loud! My other T-5R has a Jetex and S70 T5 cat which sounds very very quiet. JT Superflow sounds much better but a bit much for everyday.
Indeed - mine had a full, straight pipe, JT Superflow system with 200 cel. The noise was cranium smashing tbh - in the end it got too much, the dog's wouldn't travel in the boot (who could blame them) and it was a nightmare getting it through a ticket. On low revs/tickover, you could hear the turbine spinning up out of the rear of the exhaust. It put the chavs to shame!! 😜 😜

Last edited by sdg1970; Feb 12th, 2022 at 21:48.
sdg1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sdg1970 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 1st, 2022, 16:33   #105
Pupbelly

Update time again Took the beast in for the exhaust doing today. The original thoughts by the exhaust folk when I took it in last weekend was the rear silencer was possibly collapsed internally causing reduced flow.

Anyway when they got into the nitty gritty today, and separated the system from the cat it turns out the cat was indeed toast and heavily clogged and melted(?) - so a full stainless system has today been fabricated along with a sports cat.

Will we finally see the end to the lack of boost? I sure as hell hope so!

Collecting it tomorrow morning before I go to work, so fingers crossed huh?!
The Following User Says Thank You to Pupbelly For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 1st, 2022, 17:13   #106
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Melted/collapsed cat is fairly rare, but could well be an indication that it's been run hard with a misfire in the past, 'cos that's what happens if you do - the unburnt fuel ignites in the cat and takes it way over its max temperature capability, and you end up with one like yours.

Personally if it were me I'd just replace the cat, but if you want to go the full system then good for you. If it's possible, I'd ask them to give you the old system back and keep it or sell it? If I ever needed a section I'd be more than happy to buy a second-hand part, so might have some resale value?

All the best mate, can't wait to hear you raving about all that boost!
Old Mar 1st, 2022, 18:54   #107
ITSv40
VOC Member

Brilliant news, after all the heartache! Lets hope the new cat unleashes the tiger within and you end up grinning like a Cheshire cat tomorrow. All the best.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 2nd, 2022, 09:47   #108
Pupbelly

Thumbs up

Well praise the flippin' Lord! We have boost ladies & gentlemen!

Collected the car this morning at 7:45 and I am very pleased to say the least. The exhaust note is beautiful, nice deep muted burble, but a lovely warble as the revs build and a nice bark if you step on the throttle. Almost silent when crusing too. Just the job. BUT...we have boost, it actually swings the needle on the boost gauge and will break traction in a breath too!

In summary, very pleased with the fitment, the look and the sound so a big mention to Maidstone Exhaust Centre on Bower Road Maidstone. Established since 1972 and family owned. A proper old school place with proper folk who know what they are doing and a good reputation.

Time to enjoy the T-5R...finally!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C33DD9AA-CFA6-48AA-96C7-B857C8093FBE.jpg (138.1 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Pupbelly; Mar 2nd, 2022 at 11:27.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pupbelly For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 2nd, 2022, 10:43   #109
s1monc

Bring it down to one of the Hazzard Retro meets, pre 2000 cars. It’s at Evegate business park, Smeeth near Ashford, TN25 6SX. The micro pub on site opens up for coffee etc. It’s not your usual industrial estate, it’s actually quite a nice setting with converted barns.
Next meet is Sunday 6th March 9am-12
Every first Sunday of the month.

If weather is dry I’ll be there in my T-5R.

Simon.
s1monc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to s1monc For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 2nd, 2022, 11:27   #110
Pupbelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1monc View Post
Bring it down to one of the Hazzard Retro meets, pre 2000 cars. It’s at Evegate business park, Smeeth near Ashford, TN25 6SX. The micro pub on site opens up for coffee etc. It’s not your usual industrial estate, it’s actually quite a nice setting with converted barns.
Next meet is Sunday 6th March 9am-12
Every first Sunday of the month.

If weather is dry I’ll be there in my T-5R.

Simon.
Thank you Simon we are away that weekend unfortunately, would I be correct in assuming the April one will be on the 3rd? If so I'd be happy to pop down and say hello for sure.