Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2027688

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 11th, 2020, 12:19   #1021
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Sadly nobody can legislate for stupid and those bikers only wearing t-shirts would be stopped regardless of a pandemic in the interests of their safety i would hope.
That is what I meant in my reply to John above. If it is not actually spelled out (in law) that riding a bike in a tee shirt is not allowed, then some of us Brits will misconstrue the intent (to keep us safe, in spite of ourselves) and not bother with a bike jacket. It is just our way.

Stay safe,

Alan
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old May 11th, 2020, 12:38   #1022
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:

As for what the 48 refers to, i've come to the conclusion that it means the item will be delivered within a 48 hour window, they just don't tell us when that window starts and stops.
The 48-hours is 48 working hours, which for Parcelfarce employees equates to approximately 8 working days (6hours/day)...

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old May 11th, 2020, 13:31   #1023
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
The 48-hours is 48 working hours, which for Parcelfarce employees equates to approximately 8 working days (6hours/day)...
Ah... I'll expect it on Friday then :-(
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old May 11th, 2020, 13:57   #1024
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Ah... I'll expect it on Friday then :-(
The weather should be more settled and warmer (21-22C) with little or no chance of wind and rain by Friday - Friday 22nd May that is!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 11th, 2020, 14:10   #1025
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
The weather should be more settled and warmer (21-22C) with little or no chance of wind and rain by Friday - Friday 22nd May that is!
Do you think Friday 15th is too optimistic Dave?

:-)
Old May 11th, 2020, 14:39   #1026
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Do you think Friday 15th is too optimistic Dave?

Maybe!

Seriously though Alan, if it's at the national distribution office today, it should be at your local delivery office tomorrow so with a bit of luck, you should get it tomorrow.

If it was Tuesday you bought/paid for it, you would have got it quicker and using Lokis analysis of 6 hours a day so 8 working days (or was it 8 hours/day and 6 days?) then tomorrow is probably about right.

To me though, it should be 48 hours (or less) from dispatch so if they sent it last Tuesday, you should have had it on thursday last week.

It annoys the bejesus out of me when ebay sellers (and/or ebay) quote a delivery time/estimate based on the usual times and then they take a week or so longer to deliver, partly because they appear lazy on the dispatch or are actually sending from an offshore location.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old May 11th, 2020, 15:25   #1027
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Maybe!

Seriously though Alan, if it's at the national distribution office today, it should be at your local delivery office tomorrow so with a bit of luck, you should get it tomorrow.

If it was Tuesday you bought/paid for it, you would have got it quicker and using Lokis analysis of 6 hours a day so 8 working days (or was it 8 hours/day and 6 days?) then tomorrow is probably about right.

To me though, it should be 48 hours (or less) from dispatch so if they sent it last Tuesday, you should have had it on thursday last week.

It annoys the bejesus out of me when ebay sellers (and/or ebay) quote a delivery time/estimate based on the usual times and then they take a week or so longer to deliver, partly because they appear lazy on the dispatch or are actually sending from an offshore location.
It is irritating, especially as I've paid good money for the shipping. Some sellers are excellent, sometimes even free shipping items arrive the next day.

In this case I ordered and paid for the head on Monday (4th), but had to give the seller a nudge to send it, which he did on Thursday morn.

It has then sat in the Parcelforce depot until today, when it was sorted and has now been collected from Winterborne (which I'm guessing is the national hub). I think that is still in Gloucestershire. so in the first 4 days it traveled perhaps 25 miles.

I'm guessing it is on its way to another depot somewhere in the midlands tonight, so there is a chance I might have it tomorrow - or maybe Wednesday, or perhaps Thursday :-)

I suppose in his defence: the seller is an engine builder, not an eBay mass market seller - but saying that it did take him 3 days to find some bubble-wrap and give Parcelforce a call to collect it.

Not to worry. Fortunately I'm not doing anything else at the mo.

Last edited by Othen; May 11th, 2020 at 15:26. Reason: Spelling error.
Old May 11th, 2020, 16:13   #1028
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Makes me wonder if he was "selling to order" - not preparing the item until he had the order.
Taking 3 days to despatch it is bad though.

I'm still sitting here waiting for what is increasingly becoming likely to be a no-show on the part of the Hermes courier. My hound is ready for her walk which she didn't get yesterday partly because of the weather, partly because i was feeling out of shape. Can't do anything or go anywhere (like walkies) in case the lazy sod turns up.

Old May 11th, 2020, 16:26   #1029
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Manana, chaps, manana. Thou shalt not stress; relax. Take Bob for a walk, Alan, and whatever your pooch is called, 'L.S.'. I'm sure they would appreciate it. Throw them a ball, have an ice-cream, chill!!

Regards, John.
Old May 11th, 2020, 16:37   #1030
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
Manana, chaps, manana. Thou shalt not stress; relax. Take Bob for a walk, Alan, and whatever your pooch is called, 'L.S.'. I'm sure they would appreciate it. Throw them a ball, have an ice-cream, chill!!

Regards, John.
Hi John and Dave,

Yes, manana - I'm past the stage of being concerned - the part will arrive when it arrives.

Yes, Bob walking time (he needs to walk off the chicken, kidney, liver and macaroni cheese (his favourite) I made him for his dinner).

Take care guys,

Alan

Last edited by Othen; May 11th, 2020 at 17:05.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: