Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Spark plug gapping

Views : 1111

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 5th, 2009, 09:32   #1
JezF

Default Spark plug gapping

I'd be interested to know what gapping you have your spark plugs set at? I was told by my LPG installers to reduce gaping, maybe by .4mm, can't quite remember though.

Also I'd be interested to hear how regularly you change your plugs and what type you use.

I've had some problems with my BRC system and on my side of the net, the only thing I can think of that might be causing a problem is the plugs.

Thanks,

Jez
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 09:59   #2
GavinC
GavinC

On my '95 960 I use NGK BCPR6E **single electrode** plugs gapped to .7 mm - which means closing them by .1mm. I think it's simply the standard petrol .8mm gap plug for a 960 closed by .1mm. I'm lucky to get 15,000 miles from the plugs - often 10,000 miles or less; no standard time 'cos I change 'em as soon as I notice the idle as less than silky smooth. A very intermittent, very slight 'miss' is my signal to change the plugs - albeit switch to petrol and it'd idle smoothly.

Others may recommend Bosch or insist on Volvo plugs. NGK also sell plugs specifically for LPG but they are a lot more expensive and I've never tried them. Some say that the plugs don't need closing which could be correct as .1mm is tiny. Some say use a plug specified one grade cooler. It is important however, I believe, to use single electrode for LPG.

If you've got running problems, ignition is almost always the best place to start - plugs first as you are doing. You might know that LPG is trickier than petrol to ignite and so your car may run fine on petrol and it's only when you switch to LPG that the ignition weakness becomes apparent. P'raps with deterioration over miles that very same fault - eg. a failing coil - would eventually reveal itself on petrol, too.

Last edited by GavinC; Mar 6th, 2009 at 10:05. Reason: Oversight - addition needed.
GavinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 13:17   #3
capt jack
VOC Member

Default Sparks

100% agree with GavinC. I use Bosch single point super plus plugs, set at 0.7mm. They will last no more than 10k miles. The car is a 97 V70 2.5 10v.

Single point is vital - the multi ones will give you problems.

I tried plugs a grade cooler, but they didn't last so long, and gave rough running on petrol.

I've tried others, including NGK, Volvo, and Champion, but Bosch super plus last the longest. The others needed to be re-gapped at 5k.

Motor factors are way cheaper than Halfords - and they will sell you 5 at a time. Halfords do them in packs of 4 only!

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 15:05   #4
GavinC
GavinC

Thanks capt jack - I'll bear your reco re Bosch Super plus in mind for future. Your experience trying cooler plugs is useful, too.
GavinC is offline   Reply With Quote