Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC40 '18> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC40 '18> General Forum for vehicles post 2018 on the Compact Modular Architecture or CMA Platform

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Intermittent sticky clutch = bottom end rebuild

Views : 1641

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 21st, 2022, 10:38   #1
andybjackson

Thumbs up Intermittent sticky clutch = bottom end rebuild

Dear All,

After 3 years of active use, I am still delighted with my '19 XC40 T4 Inscription.

Wanted to share an unusual issue in case this helps others. Since new, the clutch pedal would randomly not return completely, requiring a nudge with my foot to get it completely back up. I wondered if the cable or fluid mechanism needed attention, or if the clutch itself needed replacing.

What the dealer (Cambridge Garage Petersfield & Havant - who are excellent) diagnosed, thanks also to metal filings in the oil filter, was excessive plan due to worn crank/thrust bearing(s). They duly and efficiently did a bottom end rebuild under warranty.

Whilst I am now nervous about an engine that has had to have such surgery so early in its life, I still like the car enough to be happy to have bought it. I'm surprised that they no longer sell this model.

Having used the replacement B3 as my courtesy car for a week, I would not swap, even for free. The Google dashboard tech is inferior, especially in terms of the instrument cluster display, the available power is less and the fuel consumption not materially better.

Hope this might be useful information.
andybjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to andybjackson For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 24th, 2022, 10:15   #2
Haldex
Premier Member

Any word on what may have caused premature wear on the crank & bearings? Can't say that I've heard of this being an issue on these engines..

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2022, 08:42   #3
rhd443

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybjackson View Post
Dear All,

After 3 years of active use, I am still delighted with my '19 XC40 T4 Inscription.

Wanted to share an unusual issue in case this helps others. Since new, the clutch pedal would randomly not return completely, requiring a nudge with my foot to get it completely back up. I wondered if the cable or fluid mechanism needed attention, or if the clutch itself needed replacing.

What the dealer (Cambridge Garage Petersfield & Havant - who are excellent) diagnosed, thanks also to metal filings in the oil filter, was excessive plan due to worn crank/thrust bearing(s). They duly and efficiently did a bottom end rebuild under warranty.

Whilst I am now nervous about an engine that has had to have such surgery so early in its life, I still like the car enough to be happy to have bought it. I'm surprised that they no longer sell this model.

Having used the replacement B3 as my courtesy car for a week, I would not swap, even for free. The Google dashboard tech is inferior, especially in terms of the instrument cluster display, the available power is less and the fuel consumption not materially better.

Hope this might be useful information.
Did you get your oil sent away for analysis? Might be worth doing it in the next 6 months to see what the engine health is now like.

The labs will tell you if there is anything wrong or causes etc and will give you a good idea of whether to keep it or not.
rhd443 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rhd443 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 24th, 2022, 16:24   #4
andybjackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhd443 View Post
Did you get your oil sent away for analysis? Might be worth doing it in the next 6 months to see what the engine health is now like.

The labs will tell you if there is anything wrong or causes etc and will give you a good idea of whether to keep it or not.
Any suggestion on who might offer oil anlysis?
Old Nov 26th, 2022, 08:30   #5
rhd443

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybjackson View Post
Any suggestion on who might offer oil anlysis?
Apologies for missing this,

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-217044-...enger-car.aspx

There are other companies that do it directly but Opie won't let you down .

I dropped some oil from my T8 for test before I recently decided to purchase it off the finance deal (new cars are all missing things or have speed limiters which I do not want)

Main dealers on their service plans never fill oil, they cheat and save themselves half a litre here and there per job, so cars wear prematurely nowadays in my experience.

Last edited by rhd443; Nov 26th, 2022 at 08:33.
rhd443 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rhd443 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 19th, 2023, 18:39   #6
andybjackson

Default Bottom End Rebuild Update

Further to the bottom end rebuild documented above, I have had a subsequent engine warning light appear. This has been tracked down to the lambda sensor between the engine & the catalytic convertor producing readings that are out of tolerance.

Volvo (Cambridge Garage Petersfield) said they followed a Volvo service bulletin's guidance by "recalibrating" the engine management system to the results that the lambda sensor is producing. The car was MOTed since the rebuild and the emissions were well within tolerance.

Any thoughts or advice about this. Was a bit of a surprise to me.

I have also followed guidance by going to Opie Oils in Truro to get the oil tested. Turns out they use Millers and just sell a kit with a bottle and postage to get this done.

Sadly, they do not offer a service to extract the oil. Turns out this is harder than you might expect. The lack of a dipstick had me trying to suck oil from the filler cap. Not possible.

And the effort even just to get to the drain plug means you may just as well do an oil & filter change at the same time. 5 T30 bolts at the front & 7 T20s per this video link. But then the oil is £70 - 90 not to mention the filter and drain-plug crush-washer.

And then it got too cold to work outside. Watch this space.

Still love the car.
Old Mar 4th, 2023, 00:48   #7
andybjackson

Default Intermittent sticky clutch = BE rebuild & Warning Light

Check engine warning light back on. Lambda sensor replaced today. Fingers crossed.
Old Nov 20th, 2023, 11:13   #8
andybjackson

Default Post Rebuild Update

Had the old oil analysed when it came due for replacement. Results well within spec (Silicon a little high but that is normal due to sealant used in rebuild, density, viscosity & especially other mineral levels good).

Lambda sensor replacement seems to have fixed that problem, no check engine light since.

The crankshaft & thrust bearing issue is now more widely apparent. Googling produces numerous examples.

Still love the car. Hope it continues to go for quite some time.

Last edited by andybjackson; Nov 20th, 2023 at 11:25.

Tags
clutch pedal probs, engine 2.0, oil filter, rebuild