Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Lubegard and Lucas

Views : 985

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 7th, 2021, 17:16   #1
Willow place

Default Lubegard and Lucas

The box is starting to snatch again, it has Lubegard in it ,if I drained 3 litres of fluid out and replaced with Lucas plus the 3 litres or there abouts ,would anyone know if this would Gum up the works ? D5--2003 V70
Willow place is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2021, 20:47   #2
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow place View Post
The box is starting to snatch again, it has Lubegard in it ,if I drained 3 litres of fluid out and replaced with Lucas plus the 3 litres or there abouts ,would anyone know if this would Gum up the works ? D5--2003 V70
Depends how long since it was done last. I’d personally do a few repeated drain & fills whilst driving in between to allow the new fluid to mix with the old. Get as much of the old fluid out as you can, until eventually it’ll be a cherry red colour. Simply doing one drain & fill is practically useless… yes, you’ll have fresher fluid, but it needs a few drain & fills to be much cleaner.

The transmission can hold more fluid - 3L approx is the desired level. The transmission can take at least 1L more, so 3L of transmission fluid & some Lubegard shouldn’t be any harm (so long as you don’t put more than 1L in).

Last edited by Kev0607; Sep 7th, 2021 at 20:51.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 8th, 2021, 09:25   #3
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

What Kev ^^^^^ said but be careful about overfilling as that can cause frothing. Frothing can cause cavitation which would be bad - very bad!

As suggested, a few drain/refills spaced a few hundred miles apart, keep doing them with new fluid until the fluid remains clean for the few hundred miles. Easy way to see if it's clean is to withdraw the dipstick and wipe it on clean white kitchen towel. The correct colour of the fluid will show up as well as any dirt. Should be cherry red (which might look pink on the white kitchen paper) same as the new stuff.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 8th, 2021, 16:55   #4
Willow place

Should have made my post clearer, I have over a period of time changed the old fluid, 20 litres overall was used ,the fluid is perfect now , but having tried the Lubgard which appeared to help the 'box it is snatching and in reverse I have wait about 15 seconds or there is a massive thump, after reading on the Horton cars blog about Lucas additive thought I would try it, I will drain out about 3 litres and replace with same plus the Lucas stuff .
Willow place is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2021, 17:36   #5
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Should have made my post clearer, I have over a period of time changed the old fluid, 20 litres overall was used ,the fluid is perfect now , but having tried the Lubgard which appeared to help the 'box it is snatching and in reverse I have wait about 15 seconds or there is a massive thump, after reading on the Horton cars blog about Lucas additive thought I would try it, I will drain out about 3 litres and replace with same plus the Lucas stuff .
Worth a try. Just don’t overfill it too much.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 8th, 2021, 17:55   #6
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

Quote:
...replace with same plus the Lucas stuff...
presumably you mean, replace with the same volume, which includes the lucas stuff

i think this is why you're getting warnings about overfilling

that being said with the lubeguard if you read the instructions (unless I got it wrong somehow) per 3litres, you only put in about 80ml which is not a great deal . I just put that in the measuring jug first, topped up to 1ltr, poured it in, then measured the rest

it wasn't actually 3litres it was more like 2.7 / 2.8 in my case

Interested to hear the after-report if it made significant difference, always useful to know for when I do mine again in a couple of years

-------------------------
mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Sep 8th, 2021 at 18:00.
stuart bowes is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stuart bowes For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 8th, 2021, 19:42   #7
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
I have over a period of time changed the old fluid, 20 litres overall
Is the transmission control software up to date and were the adaptions and fluid counter reset with Vida or a suitable scan tool?
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 8th, 2021, 19:48   #8
Willber

Is it possible to update the TCM software with a copy of VIDA and DICE? I see that you sell them ready to go on a laptop but unsure if you need to pay for the updated software etc. Cheers!
Willber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2021, 21:36   #9
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willber View Post
Is it possible to update the TCM software with a copy of VIDA and DICE?
You technically could but the cost of even a temporary subscription plus the software means that for new software, you may as well pay a dealer.
Some even do updates as a free/included part of a service.
Old Sep 8th, 2021, 21:39   #10
Kev0607
Premier Member

Independent Volvo garages can also do software updates. That’s another option.

As cheshired5 says… adaptions, any software updates & resetting the transmission fluid counter are very important.