Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Undiagnosed Steering Pproblem

Views : 1775

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 8th, 2021, 15:31   #11
cheshired5
Premier Member

I can't believe a main dealer hasn't said that x, y or z is out or bent or damaged before making any adjustments.

It's like going in with a slow puncture and "fixing" it by putting some air in which will correct the problem temporarily until it happens again.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 12th, 2021, 13:16   #12
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
The car goes into the dealer for an inspection on Thursday. No parts have been replaced as yet. If I'm not getting the service I need from them, my next move is to an indy who has served me well over the last decade but who I didn't use for the Volvo as the incentives to service at Volvo when the car was covered by their warranty and software upgrades, breakdown service, etc made them worthwhile. I'm not so sure that is the case now.
Any update?
Old Jun 13th, 2021, 11:02   #13
Tatsfield
Premier Member

I posted in another thread a parallel disaster but I'll put it here. I took the car out for a trip to see if the steering would improve and during the trip into the country I backed around a corner and I didn't see a concrete block left by some farmer on the side of his gateway entrance. The reversing sensors didn't pick it up either and the consequence was that the car rode over it and it did damage to the rear underside. The very strange thing was that the warnings for DSTC and City Safety Servicing came on and the handling of the car improved radically!

The dealer put the car on VIDA and said that the rear transmission module had been damaged and failed, together with some impact damage on the underside. The car currently only has front wheel drive but it really handles well. I'm thinking that the original fault might have been in the failed module and the handling was being affected by random adjustments carried out by the module. This this might be braking or rear wheel drive application. This may not be at all true but the car is now in for repair and we will see what it is like when the work is done. It's all insurance covered now.
Old Jun 18th, 2021, 14:15   #14
yostumpy

any further developments?
Old Jun 18th, 2021, 20:40   #15
Tatsfield
Premier Member

There are delays in obtaining the necessary parts to do the whoile underside damage repair and until it is done and the Differential Electronic Module (DEM) is replaced, I won't know if the original handling was down to a problem with the DEM. Half of the job can be done soon but there is a back order problem until September with the fuel tank from Sweden. It has a dent in the bottom and while it isn't considered hazardous, any stressing of the plastic structure might cause more rapid deterioration over the years, so it has to be replaced. I'll get it back next week and will see how it handles. It has been a mad couple of weeks. Just backing into a concrete block that I couldn't see and that the reversing sensors didn't pick up is going to cost me a £300 excess and the insurers £2500!
Old Jun 18th, 2021, 22:42   #16
Ian21401
Premier Member

I feel your frustration. I hope it all gets sorted eventually.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2021, 22:52   #17
Peter2400

Can I ask that abouthow tallbwas the concrete block?
Thanks
Peter2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2021, 12:24   #18
Tatsfield
Premier Member

I didn't measure it! It was just short enough to miss the bodywork under the tailgate but tall enough to crease the petrol tank through the heat shield before striking the centre section of the rear suspension. Of course it then performed the same action when the car moved forwards off it. I felt foolish that I hadn't seen it and angry that the reversing sensor didn't see it either. Most of my car accidents take place at 2 mph!
Old Jun 19th, 2021, 12:39   #19
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
There are delays in obtaining the necessary parts to do the whoile underside damage repair and until it is done and the Differential Electronic Module (DEM) is replaced, I won't know if the original handling was down to a problem with the DEM. Half of the job can be done soon but there is a back order problem until September with the fuel tank from Sweden. It has a dent in the bottom and while it isn't considered hazardous, any stressing of the plastic structure might cause more rapid deterioration over the years, so it has to be replaced. I'll get it back next week and will see how it handles. It has been a mad couple of weeks. Just backing into a concrete block that I couldn't see and that the reversing sensors didn't pick up is going to cost me a £300 excess and the insurers £2500!
The fuel tank is pretty rugged more than 3mm thick , a hot air gun would probably allow the original shape to restore .
Old Jun 19th, 2021, 20:46   #20
Tatsfield
Premier Member

My problem is that this is an insurance job and when I thought that the tank damage was purely cosmetic I suggested that the £1K that it was going to cost was a waste of the insurers money, my broker said that the benefit to me of not having the work done was minimal and the problem if there was some subsequent problem would be difficult to recover if I'd authorised that the work was not to be carried out. Quite crazy so I decided to have a pretty looking new fuel tank that no one will ever see! But I don't get it until September as there is a world wide shortage of XC70 fuel tanks. Nothing about this accident and repair is satisfying.