Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

main dealer service Qs

Views : 344

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 16th, 2021, 10:57   #1
JonnyA

Default main dealer service Qs

Hi all
Just wondering if my expectations are misaligned with Volvos with regards to servicing:
as part of an annual service should i expect the dealer to ....
- plug the car in and check that all systems are good and report any faults / code found.
- top the fluids up if they are below max but above minimum.

(disclosure) I had my XC70 serviced yesterday & when i dropped it i off mentioned that i have an intermittant parking sensor failure (they usually ask if there are any issues, but not this time). They advised that plugging it in to do a diagnostic would be £85 as they only plugged it in for the software upgrade during the service!
Needless to say i didn't pay an extra £85 and they reported a sensor down and quoted for repair.
Pretty shocking to me that the service team think that the car is not checked for fault codes etc during the service and they can sting customers for an extra for doing this.
and in my post service checks this morning (i know it's sad that i feel i have to do this) i notice that the brake fluid is where i left it - slightly above minimum.
I know it is above the min mark so its OK but as an annual big check I would have glugged a bit in just to top it up as the lid was off anyway. Its been on a service plan which offered free fluid top ups any time, so its not something they wouldn't have done if i'd asked.

They also left a smear of grease on the footwell carpet - it cleaned off fairly easily & can't be bothered to report it back to them. yes stuff happens but it's just a bit disappointingly slap dash.
ex - 1999 V40 2.0SE
ex - 1988 740 GL estate, before that a 340 GL
JonnyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2021, 11:24   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyA View Post
Hi all
Just wondering if my expectations are misaligned with Volvos with regards to servicing:
as part of an annual service should i expect the dealer to ....
- plug the car in and check that all systems are good and report any faults / code found.
- top the fluids up if they are below max but above minimum.

(disclosure) I had my XC70 serviced yesterday & when i dropped it i off mentioned that i have an intermittant parking sensor failure (they usually ask if there are any issues, but not this time). They advised that plugging it in to do a diagnostic would be £85 as they only plugged it in for the software upgrade during the service!
Needless to say i didn't pay an extra £85 and they reported a sensor down and quoted for repair.
Pretty shocking to me that the service team think that the car is not checked for fault codes etc during the service and they can sting customers for an extra for doing this.
and in my post service checks this morning (i know it's sad that i feel i have to do this) i notice that the brake fluid is where i left it - slightly above minimum.
I know it is above the min mark so its OK but as an annual big check I would have glugged a bit in just to top it up as the lid was off anyway. Its been on a service plan which offered free fluid top ups any time, so its not something they wouldn't have done if i'd asked.

They also left a smear of grease on the footwell carpet - it cleaned off fairly easily & can't be bothered to report it back to them. yes stuff happens but it's just a bit disappointingly slap dash.
No , Your expectations are not misaligned with respect to Volvos care for you . Its all laid out in their very strict franchise standards which they have to comply with to be a volvo dealer .
What did your health check sheet recommend for you?
Of course they plug the machine in to do the software and fault codes are flagged up . It is their "duty of care " to report them to you and give you a cost of repair ...which they did apparently .

I would have pointed out the dirt mark to them they would have happily cleaned it for you .

The brake fluid reservoir starts out full of course and the level reduces as pads wear , it is designed to be on minimum ( with some reserve left) when all 4 sets of pads are worn out .. when new pads are fitted the level returns to MAX .. if it was near minimum they should have topped it up to near max . any reports of low brake pads? It should be marked on the health check sheet they gave you , That is a mandatory part of the service !
Brake fluid should be CHANGED every 2 years did they advise on this ..?

As with all complaints like this you MUST report it back to their dealer principle (Not the guy on the front desk) in great detail , it will get them to re-train their staff who are failing in their duties , if they did the correct thing then they would make the company MORE money and also have a happier customer . Its the only way to stamp out these errors of judgment by their front desk staff and maintain Volvos very high standards ..

you should receive a follow up call on your recent service , You should report all this back when that happens .
Old Jun 16th, 2021, 12:00   #3
JonnyA

Hi Clan
thankyou for your quick and detailed response.

I'm glad that i'm not too wrong on this.
You may have explained the brake fluid level- they have reported that pads are 80% worn on all corners - so not topping up makes sense as it allows for replacement - which i guess they are hoping i will get them to do soon.
Brake fluid was changed last service, so all good there.

I only spotted the grease mark this morning when i went to release the bonnet - i am 45min - 1hr from the dealer so unless it was a real issue to clean off its not something that i would take back to them...

take your point about reporting concerns to the dealer principle rather than the front desk & you are completely spot on about the 'happy customer'. I am happy to pay a fair price for the level of service but having it suggested that i should pay £85 for diagnostics within the service left a sour taste .. and has severely dented my inclination to spend with them & atm means they'll miss out on the £1000 plus for reported required/recommended work.

many thanks
ex - 1999 V40 2.0SE
Old Jun 16th, 2021, 12:04   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyA View Post
Hi Clan
thankyou for your quick and detailed response.

I'm glad that i'm not too wrong on this.
You may have explained the brake fluid level- they have reported that pads are 80% worn on all corners - so not topping up makes sense as it allows for replacement - which i guess they are hoping i will get them to do soon.
Brake fluid was changed last service, so all good there.

I only spotted the grease mark this morning when i went to release the bonnet - i am 45min - 1hr from the dealer so unless it was a real issue to clean off its not something that i would take back to them...

take your point about reporting concerns to the dealer principle rather than the front desk & you are completely spot on about the 'happy customer'. I am happy to pay a fair price for the level of service but having it suggested that i should pay £85 for diagnostics within the service left a sour taste .. and has severely dented my inclination to spend with them & atm means they'll miss out on the £1000 plus for reported required/recommended work.

many thanks
You are welcome ,
I'm surprised the brake fluid has gone from MAX to Min in just a year though with presumably lower than usual mileage due to the Virus ...
Old Jun 16th, 2021, 12:50   #5
JonnyA

I think that i was surprised at the level too given the fluid was replaced last year and one assumes they would have filled to full.
I have only done about 5700 miles in the last year, about half my usual, and so probably not alot of wear.
i know the brakes are coming up for replacement as they flagged as becoming worn last year with a view to the next service.

thanks again
ex - 1999 V40 2.0SE