Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo oil spec for D5?

Views : 60987

Replies : 160

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 13:31   #111
s60ben
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
Not the smaller companies. I looked on the API web site and they want about £250 just for one weeks news letter so I'm not suprised that smaller companies don't want to do business with them with those kinds of ridiculous prices.

Roy
Strange, Royal Purple managed to do the API certifications...... And avoid the rhetoric... and the controversy over the 4 ball test...

and from Wiki

Quote:
Amsoil does not submit any of it's products for ACEA certification (It's major area of work is in performance quality classifications for 4-stroke engine oils.) nor does test the vast majority of it's products for approval by the American Petroleum Institute (API), the accepted US industry standard for automotive oils, nor does it allow any testing by the various automobile manufacturers that certify products as meeting the standards required for the safe operation of newer high tech engines produced by Mercedes Benz, Volkswagen, and Porsche. "We've found API licensing to be a non-issue with our customers, and not having an API registration on the balance of our product lines has had no effect on our business or our marketing.", Executive Vice President, Amsoil.

Amsoil is exceptionally polarizing with the company being widely derided as "Scamsoil" for its relentless and insidious marketing machine and the routine use of shills.
And the reason they always do exceptionally well on the "4 ball test" that they laud about....

Quote:
"API Certification, Phosphorus & ZDDP
Never use a non-API certified synthetic oil (there are many of these on the market). The problem with the non-API certified synthetics is that they contain too much phosphorus (in the form of the additive ZDDP (Zinc Dialkyl Dithiophosphates)). The API has limited the amount of phosphorus because phosphorus shortens the life of the catalytic converter. These oils are fine for snowmobiles, motorcycles, and older cars that don't have a catalytic converter, and the extra ZDDP does provide additional wear protection. Unfortunately, the marketers of some the non-certified oils do not explicitly and honestly state the reason for the lack of API certification.

You can check the status of API certification on the API web site.
Be certain to go not just by the manufacturer name but by the actual product as well. This is because a manufacturer will sometimes have both certified and
non-certified products. Suffice it to say that Mobil 1, Royal Purple, Castrol, & Havoline all make synthetic oils that are API certified and that can be purchased at auto parts stores and other retail outlets. Amsoil has one product line, XL-7500 that is API certified, but it's other lines contain too much ZDDP to be certified and should not be used in vehicles with catalytic converters. "
Lots of Zinc, which is well known to "fool" the 4 ball test apparently..

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...il_Claims.aspx

RT Mechanics Info:
RT Mechanics Legal Threats
RT Mechanics Poor Work

Last edited by s60ben; Mar 2nd, 2008 at 13:38.
s60ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 19:59   #112
devils-blood

Just done a 100 mile round trip since the change of oil to mutol x-lite 0-30 ester based and the car was queiter at all speeds and the engine was smoother.

Don't spend £80 on amsiol buy mutol which is £30 cheaper for 7 litres.

I am well pleased with the difference.
devils-blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 20:02   #113
S60-MBS
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devils-blood View Post
Just done a 100 mile round trip since the change of oil to mutol x-lite 0-30 ester based and the car was queiter at all speeds and the engine was smoother.

Don't spend £80 on amsiol buy mutol which is £30 cheaper for 7 litres.

I am well pleased with the difference.
Where did you source the motul from..be interesting to test out..i just used Castrol longtec (old stock) and have noticed a difference in engine sound and behaviour
Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 20:08   #114
amsoil

Unfortunate that a thread has been hijacked and in its later stages has become what it has. I do find it interesting none the less (if not a bit sad) as to how this has been achieved.
Getting back to the matter of Castrol Edge I (still) really doubt it is now what a chemist would call 'synthetic' which I thing is a shame. I honestly thought that Castrol had preserved this title for their true synthetic oils. Guess the commercial side wins again here.
It has become clear to me that the oils the Multi Nationals make and give the same name to are actually different products in different places at different times! ie I believe Mobil 1 is a 100% true synthetic in the USA but not so in the UK. (why we seem to get the poor relations here and the highest prices beats me).
Amsoil in the UK and Europe does not entertain MLM (and this is a UK Volvo site isn't it?) we do not have 'weasel' salesmen, we do not go anywhere unless invited.
Amsoil were first to develop an API-rated 100 percent synthetic motor oil. They were also 1st at many other things http://www.amsoil.com/company.aspx
If Amsoil made any claims that were untrue then the Multi Nationals would instigate litigation; particularly when it comes to comparing their products to Amsoil, which is always independent, verifiable and repeatable with an agreed methodology as required by US law.
Nice one with Wilki ! It does indeed show how dangerous such a useful tool can be. Here is what the Wilki site said about Amsoil until recently when certain individuals used the anonymity of the internet to change what was entered (yes anyone can 'contribute' sic) to what has been proffered. http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...ldid=128680887 is an earlier version but I do give thanks for bringing this perversion of Wilki's excellent system to my attention. It will be with the Amsoil CEO tomorrow and I'm sure will be acted upon.
Amsoils superb ATF no good? It has been around for over 25 years (another 1st) and we have never had anything but praise for it. Some multi Nationals can be very obstructive in allowing 'certification' to their standards, hence T4 and SPII / III. Amsoil have had to go to great lengths to try and get around such cartel attitudes in the past such as here. http://www.performanceoilsltd.co.uk/...que-drive.html Doesn’t it just sound too much like the 3306 controversy all over again!?
amsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 20:13   #115
devils-blood

Here is the link which has been posted a few times on this thread.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/default.aspx

If you sign up you get a discount but you can't buy if you don't sign up.

I bought 7 litres for £49.48 + postage. Motul 8100 X-lite B4 spec which is ester based. They have a 5w-30 for less which is a A5/B5 spec.
devils-blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 20:37   #116
s60ben
Master Member

Strange how all of your competitors managed to certify their products with not so many visible issues......

Plus, the real reason for non compliance with the oil standards.

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/d...5&postcount=13

So, categorically - Amsoil can harm your catalytic convertor due to the ZDDP content, unlike all of it's ACEA/API approved competitors products that dont.

Amsoil ATF suitable for both 3309 boxes AND Dexron boxes, despite the fluid requiring completely different specs and frictions...?

Tell you what, you agree to pay for a brand new autobox and fitting, hold it in escrow for 2 years, and then I'd consider using it because at least when the box destroys itself then I'll be covered. No "Weasel" warranty like the normal Amsoil one... As your product is so great, you'll have nothing to fear will you. However I should warn you, others who have used your wunderbar ATF in the states in 3309 boxes have suffered slipping and contaminated boxes...

As for not entertaining MLM in the UK....the entire Amsoil industry is built on MLM and aggressive sales tactics all over the internet.

One of the Joys of Wikipedia is that people can write stuff that companies dont particularly like...

BTW www.mapodo.de sell the correct ACEA & Volvo Approved oils for a decent price http://www.mapodo.de/product_info.php/products_id/444

RT Mechanics Info:
RT Mechanics Legal Threats
RT Mechanics Poor Work
s60ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 22:20   #117
amsoil

Me thinks you shout wolf too much and wonder what axe you have to grind?

I note that you have gone to the trouble of showing 1 post in a thread rather than the whole thread to allow people to form their own conclusions. Let be post another from the same thread http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/d...2&postcount=39
If you read this you will see that even the industry cannot agree about levels of Zddp and this added to the low volatility of Amsoil (assisting it to last longer, stay in grade and have reduced consumption) it is incorrect to say what you persist in stating as a fact!
We would all benefit from your vast knowledge of the properties of ATF explaining your statement that one fluid cannot serve both Dex 3 and 3309 requirements.
Amsoil is not based on MLM outside of North America please show that it is.
We have our own product liability; to put money on ice to satisfy someone who wouldn't touch the products we sell, even if superior, is hardly good business.
Should you ever come across an aggressive Amsoil salesman in the UK do let me know as we do not entertain such things nor is there such a thing to my knowledge.
yes I agree that you can add slanderous statements to Wilki under the anonymity given by the internet, as of course you have already shown.

All this I believe has come from a statement that I rate Amsoil, Motul and Castrol Edge, I still do rate Motul and the Opie price is stunning in the UK so do please exercise your right to choose and buy it from Opie, one of our good customers who will also happily sell you Amsoil too. The price of the oil from Germany is also stunning , then again didn't I say that in another thread?
Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 22:25   #118
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
Wow that is one long thread.

The oil test result are very interesting. Maybe we should be getting our oil analysed so we can all get a better picture on what oil suits our engines best.

I think that the oil companies should be more upfront about their products and alow more informed discussions. After all evey other product we bring into our homes has very detailed informtion about it's contents on the label. Whether it's skin cream, flloor cleaner, food etc. Why not lubricating oil? If one of the kids drinks it I would like to know what to tell the hospital it contains.

Roy
Would it not also be better if car makers were also a bit more open about the standards and specs of oils and fluids used in their cars?
Would help to make life easier for everyone, and save people from pay the overinflated dealer prices for oil coolant and such..

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 22:47   #119
amsoil

Totally agree, Informed decision making is what I completely agree with. Unfortunately Oil manufacturers want to sell as much oil as they can and car manufactures want to sell as many cars as poss. Neither has an interest in good oil that last a very long time and reduces wear. I am facinated at present by Synlube's products.....

Last edited by amsoil; Mar 2nd, 2008 at 22:54.
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 00:15   #120
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s60ben View Post
Strange, Royal Purple managed to do the API certifications...... And avoid the rhetoric... and the controversy over the 4 ball test...

and from Wiki

And the reason they always do exceptionally well on the "4 ball test" that they laud about....

Lots of Zinc, which is well known to "fool" the 4 ball test apparently..

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...il_Claims.aspx
The latest API specs places more importance on the catalyser than cylinder head protection by the demand of the American Government.

Many automotive enginners believe them to be wrong in the belief that Phosphorus and ZDDP damage the catalyst. Including BMW who told their dealers that use of the latest API certified oil in their engines would void their warranty.

On the provision of information about what's in these oils I noticed this on the Royal Purple web site.

Quote:
The precise composition of this oil is proprietary. A more complete disclosure will be provided to a physician or
nurse in the event of a medical emergency
So when your in A&E with a vomiting two year old, and it's 3 am in Texas they're going to have a technician to speak to a doctor are they? Assuming you can find a doctor or nurse who can find the time and the switchboard operator to make a call to the USA. I don't fink so.

Roy