Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

In Car Audio/Video/Nav/TV - BT/USB options - V70

Views : 1004

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 28th, 2015, 16:45   #1
Leedslee

Arrow In Car Audio/Video/Nav/TV - BT/USB options - V70

Hello, first post here and I'd like to firstly thank everyone for the help you've given so far, without even realising it.

This post is about a V70 D5 SE '54' Facelift model, with HU850, DVD Sat Nav and Phone installed. The HU works fine, apart from lighting on the buttons. The screen for the Nav lifts, although the DVD doesn't spin so it shows DVD error on screen. TV shows as a fuzzy screen due to analogue, but it at least switches to the TV on the display. I can't get the screen back down though, without turning off the ignition and removing fuse 12.
There is a Parrot CK system installed and a Connects 2 Iphone system that has no usb or 3.5mm port,

Now, I've been looking/reading endlessly lately about the above system and I'm now at a loss as to what I should be looking for to get what I want. If I list what I'm hoping to end up with, I'm hoping someone here has the answer!

Ok, I'd like bluetooth so that I can A: Use the phone whilst driving and B: Stream audio from my phone. (Android Phone),
USB port for memory stick,
3.5mm Aux port,
Maintain volume controls on steering wheel,
Reverse camera (Not essential)
Ability to play video on Nav screen, either by bluetooth of USB and the ability to add a digital TV input.

I can do the first four options with my Sony Double Din headunit I took out of my previous car but would ideally like to keep the Volvo looking standard and I'm not sure of any problems it may cause when it comes to the reversing cameras and navigation system.

Is there a system available which would allow me to do the above? I have seen GROM Units and the IMIV units along with some simple modules but I'm finding mixed information regarding any of the above units.

Would I also have to get the navigation DVD unit repaired for all of the above to work, or can I install a different player in place?

I don't mind having to lose the standard nav on the screen and the in built phone. The phone would never get used and I imagine google maps on my phone would be a better nav system.

Sorry for the wall of text and thank you in advance for any time spent reading.
Leedslee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2015, 16:55   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

I'm not sure what the mixed Grom reviews would be because I've been very happy with mine.
I use a high spec phone which takes care of all the media and Nav requirements and the Grom does its job seamlessly and best of all, you keep the awesome stock stereo system.
What's not to like?
Old Feb 28th, 2015, 17:20   #3
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=224211
Old Feb 28th, 2015, 19:02   #4
Leedslee

Thank you but I already have a double din unit I could use, if needed. I'd ideally like to utilise the standard head unit though and the navigation screen. Wouldn't I lose other functions by installing an aftermarket headunit though?

The Grom seems to do most of what I want, audio wise. But the features of the iMIV seem to offer more. I am concerned that they're mostly setup for iphone/pod though and I wouldn't get all the benefits without. I'm also not sure if it would work if my nav isn't currently working, as it does say that it's for cars with the nav system installed. Hence all my confusion.

I've read a lot of threads on here and seen different results. I have seen how to install a DTV tuner and what not also, but I'm unsure if all these would work together.

It seems silly bothering but then I travel all over the country in it, so want it to be as good for me as it can.
Old Feb 28th, 2015, 19:48   #5
marcb
Master Member

Is your DVD unit bust? On the rare occasion I use our satnav it sometimes doesn't want to lift or stow, and also won't always read the disk - a good clean of the DVD has sorted it. But it's a ten year old system and if I were you I'd put in a new system or use a portable unit if satnav is important.

The Grom is excellent for playing audio - ours is wired in the rear. No need to stream anything as you can put a massive USB stick in although navigating between tracks can be tedious. If your CD is working (ours isn't) then you have flexibility.

I can't see any merit in trying to convert the TV - unless you spend a long time sitting in car parks.

M.

Last edited by marcb; Feb 28th, 2015 at 19:51.
marcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2015, 20:19   #6
Leedslee

The DVD unit has power and will eject the disc, but as you insert the disc or a cleaning disc, it does nothing. I'm going to take it apart and see if the spindle or motor is just stuck. I'm hoping that will also allow the screen to pop back down.
CD player is fine, apart from the backlights on the buttons.

I think with the TV it's more a case of it has it, so I want it to be useable (You could class the M25 as a car park, if I'm down that way). Likewise with the satnav but if there's a way I could hook up another input to the screen from a standalone gps unit or something, that would be even better. I'm yet to find that done with the standard fitted screen. The iMIV seems to have something like that but then I've only just noticed that it doesn't seem to have bluetooth... which is poo.

The Grom unit is looking like my best option at the moment.
Old Feb 28th, 2015, 22:31   #7
marcb
Master Member

Does the screen go up when you select the TV and then go down when you turn to radio or CD?

I doubt you can hook up any other satnav device to the system so repairing the DVD drive is your best bet.

There is a long thread on this forum about converting the TV to digital - it really isn't worth it. You can of course only have it on when stationary and the screen is far too small to be of much good. Use a notebook or tablet and an unlimited 4G data package for occasional TV. In my estimation, a DAB radio upgrade if possible would be far better.

A Grom I think will give you Bluetooth phone functions. I just use the basic model with USB for music.

M.
marcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2015, 23:22   #8
Leedslee

No, sadly the screen stays up at all times, unless I turn off the ignition and remove the fuse. Seems a shame for it to be there and doing nothing, so I'll firstly take the unit apart and see if that solves anything.

Thanks
Old Feb 28th, 2015, 23:26   #9
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcb View Post
A Grom I think will give you Bluetooth phone functions. I just use the basic model with USB for music.
The Grom I have does.
I can also use my steering wheel controls to change track, adjust volume and answer/end calls.
Old Feb 28th, 2015, 23:42   #10
Leedslee

I've just been looking at some on Ebay and there's two to choose from. From what I can gather, one has bluetooth built into the unit so you can either use that for calls/music and there's a USB and 3.5mm jack. That's just over £100.

The other is more expensive but seems to have a few more features, such as linking the phone/mp3 to the device and having track info showing on the headunit and a USB port for a memory stick. You also then require the bluetooth cable, plus the USB/3.5mm cable which takes it to around £170.

Seeing as I can just stream any stored music or streamed music with the first one, it seems like a no brainer. £70 to tell me what track is playing, when I can already see it on the screen isn't worth it. Unless I'm missing something else?