Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Axle stand and ramp loading.

Views : 497

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 24th, 2023, 12:25   #1
Pidgeonpost
Master Member

Default Axle stand and ramp loading.

I don't have any ramps, just a pair of axle stands. I was idly thinking of the loadings placed on ramps or axle stands, and wondering about how the vehicle weight is distributed when only the front of the vehicle is supported. Obviously that's the 'heavy end'. The Volvo website list my vehicle weight as "Serving Weight 1704 kg - 1940 kg, Total Weight 2190 kg - 2410 kg".
Given that many typical ramps are listed as 2 tonnes capacity I'm wondering how that weight would actually be distributed on 2 ramps or stands.
Old Nov 24th, 2023, 13:18   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pidgeonpost View Post
I don't have any ramps, just a pair of axle stands. I was idly thinking of the loadings placed on ramps or axle stands, and wondering about how the vehicle weight is distributed when only the front of the vehicle is supported. Obviously that's the 'heavy end'. The Volvo website list my vehicle weight as "Serving Weight 1704 kg - 1940 kg, Total Weight 2190 kg - 2410 kg".
Given that many typical ramps are listed as 2 tonnes capacity I'm wondering how that weight would actually be distributed on 2 ramps or stands.
well say your car is 2 tons , each stand is 2 tons so you could just about stand the whole car on one stand safely.. no problem using those at any end of the car they will be about 50% stressed if used at the heavy front end of the car you will have about 1/2 ton on each one.
Old Nov 24th, 2023, 16:17   #3
Pidgeonpost
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
well say your car is 2 tons , each stand is 2 tons so you could just about stand the whole car on one stand safely.. no problem using those at any end of the car they will be about 50% stressed if used at the heavy front end of the car you will have about 1/2 ton on each one.
Thanks for that. I had a 'Black Friday' offer from Halfords earlier this afternoon and they list their 2 tonne ramps as being 1 tonne per ramp which is kinda confusing.

https://www.halfords.com/tools/garag...BoCXZMQAvD_BwE

I think that for now I'll be sticking with axle stands with my usual backup of oak blocks, but ramps would be more convenient. I only want to drain a couple litres from the radiator.
Old Nov 24th, 2023, 17:21   #4
Whyman
Premier Member

The weights you have quoted are service weights before you put anything in it and the total weight is the maximum weight when fully loaded. The range of weights covers the base vehicle to one with all of the possible options added.

There may be a plate on the vehicle, on my XC60 it’s on the rear if the drivers side B post which gives the maximum front -Axle1 and rear axle Axle2 loads together with the grosstrain weight GTW. Front and rear axles are almost equal at 1280 and 1275kg.

If the ramps are rated at 2 tones then they should be more than capable of supporting the front axle.