Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Anti skid service required c30

Views : 24825

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 15th, 2013, 13:03   #11
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprout View Post
I turned off the dstc it when I went up a hill it seemed to lose power, quite interesting!
I'm going away the weekend for a night so I will try it again the m/way.
Sounds like you have 2 problems:

1. Anti-Skid
2. Loss of power under load (going up hill)

1. As you've already paid a garage recently to look at the Anti-Skid and they done a diagnostic etc... Resulting in your ABS unit going away to be fixed and now it is no different frombefore except no codes (as far as we are aware).

I think at this stage you should actually take the car back to the garage that fixed it and have them do further diagnostics, it may turn out that you never needed the ABS unit afterall and may be the result of a faulty ABS sensor. Although the ABS unit is a fairly common problem on these cars.

2. You need to check all boost hoses/pipes, vacuum hoses as well as the intercooler and hoses. I suspect you have a slight rip/tear/split or hole in one of the somewhere. These can be really small and even concealed in the folds of the pipe or under jubilee clips etc...

Some will only show themself when some load is placed upon the vehicle as the boost in the pipes make them flex.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2013, 13:29   #12
Sprout

I took the car back and he checked the car over and didn't find nothing wrong he said and that I should not spend no more money on it.

Would there be a code that comes up when the sensor is faulty?
I'm going to have a look at the hub Sunday it was suggested on another forum.
Would you think it's better taking it to volvo and see what they say but in my case iv had the dpf removed?
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 12:33   #13
Sprout

Iv just gone away for a night and turned off spin control and the car went into limp mode but no light came on, I turned it off and now it's on all the time. Which may be the split pipe got worse?
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 16:17   #14
SonyVaio
VOC Member

That is certainly what is sounds like, I'd put good money on it being a split hose that has caused this. With the management light on you will have a code stored.

I take it you've had no change from the Anti-Skid message? You need to manually turn DSTC/DTC off each time you start the car or else it turns on by default. If it has made no difference then you could do with VIDA/DICE to read the car and ensure there is no codes.

Quote:
I took the car back and he checked the car over and didn't find nothing wrong he said and that I should not spend no more money on it.
WHAT A SUPRISE - NOT!

All this means is they can't be bothered and on top are not interested in finding out wether or not they have wasted your money on an ABS module refurb that may or may not have been needed.

I would re-visit the garage once again and ask them where exactly the ABS unit was refurbished? I wouldn't be totally suprised if they never actually had it done and just charged you for it? It may count why you've still got the problem. If they have had it refurbished then you could get in touch with the refurb company and tell them you still have the same problem.

The garage that has also done the work so far for you should have kept a note of the codes that were stored at the time, it would be really really helpful if you could obtain these codes.

Depending on the age of your vehicle you may not want to hear the next bit, if you took the car to a Volvo Dealer in the first place and the codes pointed to the ABS unit then Volvo UK would have picked up 50% of the cost of a replacement (Brand New, not just refurb) and again depending on age they may have even done the complete job FOC!

The whole ABS unit may be a red herring and the problem may just reside in a faulty ABS sensor as already said. This is why it is important that a decent code reader is used to get the precise codes as opposed to generic codes that some readers give out.

I've just done a complete re-read of this thread prior to now posting from this point and note the following which I must have skimmed over before:

Quote:
I did have the wheel bearings changed a while ago??
The question here is what wheel bearings did you purchase here? Genuine Volvo, well named 3rd party or complete unknown generic cheapest you could get?

It is a very common problem where people have opted for the cheapest bearings that they then get ABS messages. This due to the reluctor rings and/or ABS sensors not reporting exactly as your Volvo would like. I remember of a thread shortly before Christmas where someone ended up on their 3rd bearing before the car was happy and didn't report messages. Your bearings could be at fault but again this is a fair old expense so the diagnostic needs to point to the right item so you don't go wasting money and replace items on a trial and error basis.

My VIDA/DICE is out on loan to another member at the moment and I'm away for the next 2 weeks but as I'm working just outside Wolves at the moment I could visit and read your car but it would the start of March (4th onwards) if it would be any help.

The Following User Says Thank You to SonyVaio For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 17:13   #15
Sprout

The wheel bearings was done about 8 months ago and the price I paid was cheap, but not sure what make they was. I can find out?

The anti skid only started to come on past 2 weeks?
I turned off the dstc and the anti skid light didn't come on but the car still went into limp mode with no warning signs.

I will go back to the garage Monday and see where the abs has been done!

My car is 57 plate. I was thinking of taking it to volvo for a diagnostic and see what they say?
It would be fantastic if you could read the codes I will come to you, I don't wan you to go out of your way. If we could arrange it?
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 18:39   #16
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
The wheel bearings was done about 8 months ago and the price I paid was cheap, but not sure what make they was. I can find out?

The make is not so important but if they turn out to be the uissue then you may want to take them back to where you got them from.

The anti skid only started to come on past 2 weeks?
I turned off the dstc and the anti skid light didn't come on but the car still went into limp mode with no warning signs.

I'm pretty sure your limp mode is due to a split pipe or intercooler.

You say when you did have DSTC/DTC (just which one has your car got?) that the Ant-Skid message did not appear??

I will go back to the garage Monday and see where the abs has been done!

It may just be the cynic in me but I'm guessing you won't get that information. Always happy to be proven wrong as it shows there is still good people out there.

My car is 57 plate. I was thinking of taking it to volvo for a diagnostic and see what they say?

When was your car first registered? If I recall it has to be less than 5yrs old to get the discount or possible FOC replacement. So you may have just got in there, the only problem now is you don't have the codes that pointed to the ABS unit itself as being the problem - this is the crucial part Volvo require.

It would be fantastic if you could read the codes I will come to you, I don't wan you to go out of your way. If we could arrange it?

I'm sure it shouldn't be a problem, we can then find out what Volvo codes you have or have not got.
With a bit of luck then maybe one of the Volvo techs will throw their eyes over this thread, I'm not a mechanic but do pick things up as I'm going along but I do like to know and find out how things work etc... I believe that if you do not get the Anti-Skid message when the DSTC/DTC is turned off then this points to somewhere in the TC system there is the problem, if it was the ABS unit itself then the problem would still exist. This then points towards the wheels and sensors.

Someone else early on in the thread mentioned about another common problem with these cars and that is the drive shaft bolts coming loose. May well be worth a check too if you've not already?

Old Feb 17th, 2013, 11:58   #17
Sprout

Last night coming back i got on the motorway and drove the car to 110mph no problems I slowed down for a bit then went to speed up again to find the car was in limp mode no warnings signs at all the dstc was on also I turned it off and still the same. I turned the car off and on again and still in limp mode. I'm going to look around the turbo for the pipe after.
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 12:34   #18
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Yeah I'd get all your pipes checked out, it is amazing just how small any rip, tear or split has to be to cause problems.

Your limp mode and DSTC/DTC, ABS, ANTI-SKID will be completely unrelated.

Old Feb 17th, 2013, 15:42   #19
Sprout

Before tho the limp mode came on with the anti skid message but now no message no warnings but still in limp mode.

It's driving me mad!

Just took off lid of the engine and seen the clip broke coming from the oil part of the engine going to the turbo and the opposite way going somewhere else, it's like a t shape.

Last edited by Sprout; Feb 17th, 2013 at 16:33.
Old Feb 18th, 2013, 13:13   #20
Sprout

Quote:
Before tho the limp mode came on with the anti skid message but now no message no warnings but still in limp mode.

It's driving me mad!

Just took off lid of the engine and seen the clip broke coming from the oil part of the engine going to the turbo and the opposite way going somewhere else, it's like a t shape.
I phoned the garage and he said give it a couple of days and take the car back and he will run a data log to find out what's going on,