Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Good Battery Makes

Views : 2104

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 24th, 2023, 19:21   #21
StanC
'Mature' Member

Following my earlier post about shops like Halfords not boost-charging their battery stock, I meant to add - and this might be useful for anyone whose only option is to shop at a store - I always take my multimeter with me when shopping for batteries. Check the batteries in-store and if the voltage across the terminals is less than 12.5v, leave it. I usually find that checking all the batteries on the shelf reveals one with a good, healthy voltage - that's the one to go for.

Stan.
StanC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StanC For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 28th, 2023, 14:58   #22
anotheruser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
Enduroline are I think associated with Tayna so they always recommend them.

I've had a number of issues with Yuasa recently.

So I would say if you have deep pockets - Bosch S5. If you are more value conscious - Exide. Have fitted about 15 Exide batteries from Tayna since pre-Covid and no issues with any of them, have them in all our vehicles from Massey Ferguson tractor to XC90....
Tanya has the Bosch for about £20 more than the Exide but I'm happy to save myself £20 for a couple 'o beers and get the exide if they're fairly reliable
Old Sep 28th, 2023, 17:29   #23
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheruser View Post
Tanya has the Bosch for about £20 more than the Exide but I'm happy to save myself £20 for a couple 'o beers and get the exide if they're fairly reliable
I'm confident you wont be disappointed.... check the specs as well, often the Exide variant has superior CCA and Ah.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 4th, 2023, 13:57   #24
anotheruser

Just as a closure to this, replaced the battery this morning.
There's a video on YouTube that really helped as the guy showed what sizes I needed for the nuts.

A bit awkward but it's done.
Although a little scary as there were some small sparks when I reconnected the negative cable.

Haven't tested to see if it cured the stop/start yet but it started better (although almost a little more growly!).

Changed the battery on our Peugeot 5008 after. That cured the stop/start not working so hoping it'll have done so for the Volvo.

Went with the Exide AGM - no issues.
Old Oct 5th, 2023, 22:32   #25
volvosam

The only battery I have ever had a problem with was a Yuasa; would not hold a charge when it was about 4 months old. The first battery that I had bought on line from Tayna - who are very cheap and efficient in getting the battery delivered to you but not so quick when it comes to sorting a problem. First challenge was returning it....all delivery companies refuse to take batteries, then when it did finally arrive it took them 3 days to check it. By then I had had to buy another battery locally. Tayna did provide a refund but initially wanted to make a deduction for the x months that I had used the battery.
Back to Varta bought locally for me.
volvosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2023, 08:40   #26
MDS40

Well i hope the Yuasa battery gives problems to the low life who stole it from my garage yesterday.

Some previous cars include: Jaguar x type: Mazda 6 : Mazda 626: Ford Sierra 2.0: Toyota Celica ST 1600 : Hillman Avenger: Triumph Spitfire:
Oh and a Volvo 340 GL 1984 company car from new.
MDS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2023, 08:40   #27
concrete

I had a Yuasa on my XC70 which lasted 7 years and I’ve just replaced the one on my transit and that lasted 8 years.
concrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2023, 10:30   #28
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDS40 View Post
Tanatton, can i ask what issues you had with Yuasa batteries as my less than 2 year old 5000 series battery is not holding a charge.
I have Halfords yuasa batteries on my 2 cars , new in 2016 and 2018 they were great for 2 years then the standing voltage would never be above 12.3 volts it should be around 12.7 with a healthy battery. I would charge them for 12 hours and it would be 12.6v for a few days and revert to 12.3v it always still starts but I'm wary of how much reserve current they have if I leave the parking lights on for an hour or two.
I will get a volvo battery next time.
Old Oct 15th, 2023, 17:19   #29
MDS40

Thanks Clan.

That's exactly the way mine was behaving so believing it was the siren control module i pulled the fuse. This made no difference so purchased another Yuasa from Halfords but still having issues.

Some previous cars include: Jaguar x type: Mazda 6 : Mazda 626: Ford Sierra 2.0: Toyota Celica ST 1600 : Hillman Avenger: Triumph Spitfire:
Oh and a Volvo 340 GL 1984 company car from new.
MDS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2023, 15:47   #30
DHutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pidgeonpost View Post
I've always been happy with Yuasa, Bosch, Varta, just matching the requirements of the car.
Yeah, Yuasa 5000, Halfords trade card. Sorted!
DHutch is offline   Reply With Quote