Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

4 C active suspension. Yes or No

Views : 11666

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 26th, 2012, 19:35   #1
mrc1501
Master Member

Default 4 C active suspension. Yes or No

Okay. I may be finally in a position to replace my V70 XC and buy a newer model (late phase 2 upto 2007) in the next 4 months, so I'm now looking to see what is available and to narrow down the spec that I want for my next car.

Yeah, I know, buying second hand means you have to compromise with spec, etc...

I will probably be looking for an XC70 D5, rather than a V70 due to the extra height.

What I want to know is, this active 4c suspension, what are the pros and cons of having a car with this fitted, and is it a standard fit from a particular model year, or an option.

Is this active suspension system worth the extra expense and possible increased maintenace costs. Should I pay extra for a car with this fitted.

My previous car. Happy days......
V70R 1997 Gone
V70 XC 2.4 T AWD 2002 Gone
2013 XC60 R design Lux Nav 2.4 D4 AWD Polestar optimised in Rebel Blue Gone
mrc1501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2012, 19:42   #2
j40aja

I have it fitted to my 55 plate XC70 D5 SE LUX and I like it. I think it suits the relaxed driving style in comfort mode with the geartronic box, soaks up the bumps and you can just cruise along.
For more spirited driving the sport mode firms things up nicely, good for twisty country roads but I tend to leave it in comfort most of the time.

I haven't driven an XC70 without the 4C chassis so can compare but it is a nice thing to have as an option.
j40aja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2012, 19:52   #3
A lex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrc1501 View Post
Okay. I may be finally in a position to replace my V70 XC and buy a newer model (late phase 2 upto 2007) in the next 4 months, so I'm now looking to see what is available and to narrow down the spec that I want for my next car.

Yeah, I know, buying second hand means you have to compromise with spec, etc...

I will probably be looking for an XC70 D5, rather than a V70 due to the extra height.

What I want to know is, this active 4c suspension, what are the pros and cons of having a car with this fitted, and is it a standard fit from a particular model year, or an option.

Is this active suspension system worth the extra expense and possible increased maintenace costs. Should I pay extra for a car with this fitted.
Renowned for breaking and being difficult and eye-wateringly expensive to fix.

Id avoid like the plague unless I had documented proof of very recent replacement of the system.
A lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2012, 15:07   #4
Chaddie
Ex Serial Volvo Buyer

I've had several XC70’s (phase 2 & 3)....

The SE Lux came standard with 4C (for the age you're looking at), it also has Winter Pack, Electric Seats, Heated Folding Mirrors & Bi-Xenon, Wood Trim etc. so IMHO I won't be looking at anything other than a SE Lux, it has all the toys as standard you'd want (except things like Sat Nav, Built in Phone etc).

As for 4C, to be honest its expensive to fix if it goes wrong and if you've never had it you won't miss it...however once you've had it you won't want a XC70 without it. I had a SE Lux and swapped it for just a SE and just driving home I knew I'd made a mistake, it wasn't the comfort of the ride since I always just left in comfort setting but it was how it went around corners / round-abouts the 4C stiffens the suspension so far less body roll, it also help under hard braking for the same reason again keeping the car level. Without the 4C it felt like the car was under steering when going around tight bends.

I couldn't wait to get rid of that car and I've never had a XC70 without 4C since.

XC70 SE Lux D5 (215bhp) Geartronic (2012MY)
Drivers Pack, Security Pack, Winter Pack, Family Pack, Dark Tint Glass,
Active 4C, Front & Rear Cameras, DAB Radio, Spoiler & Side Scuff Plates.

Last edited by Chaddie; Oct 27th, 2012 at 15:44.
Chaddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2012, 15:25   #5
Chaddie
Ex Serial Volvo Buyer

I guess this is just to new and out of your price range....

http://www.volvo-servicedeeside.co.u...01234482516981

Or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2006-VOLVO...item416c525862

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2007-Volvo...item564dd82ccc

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-XC70...item1c2bfa1ba9

Last edited by Chaddie; Oct 27th, 2012 at 15:43.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chaddie For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 28th, 2012, 07:53   #6
TiredGeek
Master Member

It's on mine, and I wouldn't be without it
I too have had an XC70 without it, kept that a whole week before "upgrading".

If it goes wrong it's not cheap to fix, I just had to replace an accelerometer on mine. Smaller than a matchbox but cost £209 fitted.
Volvo want a lot of money for shocks but you can get them from Monroe direct, a pair costs less than for one from the stealers, but you're still looking at £400 for two.
Two shocks were replaced on warranty by Volvo at 39k, the other two are still fine at 71k so I don't think they're weak by design. Other than that I've never had any issues.

TBH there's not a whole lot of difference between comfort and sport. Comfort tightens itself up on bends where sport is just tighter anywhere. I tend to stay on comfort, wifey always puts it in sport, but maybe that just says more about my age than the car LOL

As Caddie says, go for the LUX if at all possible. All the toys you'd have ordered from the options list are on there.....
Light metallic silver is nice if you can find it, doesn't show the dirt and car park dents the same as my gunmetal colour

Defected to BMW. 335d xdrive.
TiredGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiredGeek For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 28th, 2012, 07:56   #7
TiredGeek
Master Member

BTW, the XC70 went DPF & 185 from the 55 plate.
More performance, no smoke, but higher fuel consumption. As always, silver engine cover tells you it's a 185

Defected to BMW. 335d xdrive.
TiredGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2012, 10:50   #8
mrc1501
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A lex View Post
Renowned for breaking and being difficult and eye-wateringly expensive to fix.
What are the componenets in the 4c system that are different than a normal shock absorber and spring.

Are there any black boxes that control this set-up. What are the common fail parts, and how much to replace.

V70R 1997 Gone
Old Oct 28th, 2012, 10:52   #9
mrc1501
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaddie View Post
The SE Lux came standard with 4C.
So, standard on the LUX but is it an option on any other spec, eg SE, Ocean Race, etc

V70R 1997 Gone
Old Oct 28th, 2012, 12:25   #10
Chaddie
Ex Serial Volvo Buyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrc1501 View Post
So, standard on the LUX but is it an option on any other spec, eg SE, Ocean Race, etc
Not sure about the Ocean Race, never owned one or even looked at them; so I don't know if they are Spec'd the same as the SE, Lux or somewhere between the two.

My first XC70 was a 2005 (05 Reg) SE, which was fine, then had a 2005 (55 Reg) Lux, which was a very nice car, with 4C as standard but pressed the button a couple of times, couldn't really tell the difference so left it in Comfort.

So my 3rd XC70 was a 2006 (06 Reg) SE and its only then did I notice the difference of having 4C, it wasn't the ride, it was the body roll around bends that it reduced and it did that in either Comfort or Sport mode, it made the car feel so much more plated, safer and more relaxed / fun to drive, it's what you don't know the 4C is doing that makes the difference....

So my 4th to my current 9th XC70 have all had 4C....I also won't have one without Bi-Xenon's (and now Active Bi-Xenon's). To me the 4C & Active Bi-Xenon's are the same as Winter Pack used to be a few years ago, I wouldn't consider a car without Winter park.

IMHO - Don't even consider anything other than a Lux and than maybe look for a Lux with added extras (Nav, Phone, Sunroof etc) depending on the toys you need / like, but make sure its been well looked after and have full dealer service history, there is to many expensive thing that can go wrong on a XC70 (4C, AWD etc) so no service history just walk away and I say dealer service due to the likes of the AWD & 4C, if a general service centre has done the services they may of been missed and software upgrades / recalls not done etc....Also if not buying it from a main deal or somewhere who gives a good warranty, then check everything, from the AWD to the Heated Seats check everything, I've had problems with the memory seats forgetting its memory and check the spare wheel, I know 2 people who have bought secondhand cars of late and the spare is missing, it's due to new cars not having them they are taking them out of the old car leaving nothing...

If you haven't guessed I love XC70’s and this time of the year they come into there own (living in the country & up a hill) never come close to getting stuck, but I always felt the phase 2 car was better in the snow than the phase 3, but that I feel is down to the tyres, get a good one and you'll love the car, but the 185bhp isn't great on fuel (a lot better than the phase 3 185bhp or 205bhp cars), the older 163bhp was best for fuel but sluggish on take off, I don't know what your current car is like, I never had a phase 1 V70 XC so can't compare. Guess it depends how important fuel cost is to you, but as I say if fuel cost is the most important factor than you won't be considering a XC.

The Following User Says Thank You to Chaddie For This Useful Post: