Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What’s it worth

Views : 706

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 16th, 2021, 12:46   #1
Kev0607
Premier Member

Default What’s it worth

I was browsing through AutoTrader & come across this car (linked below). It looks clean & tidy from the pictures, the MOT history looks very good too.

So, is this car reasonably priced? What’s the maximum it would be worth? What are the common issues to look for/to go wrong on this particular model?

Thank you.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-det...02105152668888
Old May 16th, 2021, 13:06   #2
Kev0607
Premier Member

Oh, air con is a must. Does this model have it? I can’t tell from the pictures.
Old May 16th, 2021, 14:21   #3
turboboy
Master Member

Two things immediately jump out at me.

Service light is showing.

Reading the write up it has had four, not two owners (although seller is up front about its history and perhaps means it has has been owned by two families?).

Also, as Kev0607 suggests you check for A/C, check it actually works.

Current: 1998 Volvo V70 2.3 T5 Auto.

Previous: 2000 Volvo V40 T4; 1981/2 265 (x2); 1988 740 Turbo Estate.
turboboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2021, 14:32   #4
Kev0607
Premier Member

I think the seller has been fairly upfront about that. Even if it has had four owners, that’s not bad in 24 years!

So what’s it worth? Does this model have air con?

“Service” on dash. What does that mean? Is that an engine management light, or does it just mean it needs an oil change?

Last edited by Kev0607; May 16th, 2021 at 15:03.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2021, 15:21   #5
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

How long is a piece of string, 'Kev0607'? It might be worth that to someone specifically wanting an S70 of that age, condition and provenance.

Almost five years ago, I bought an early 2000 (V) V70 with 118k up from a dealer for £550. My air conditioning is marginal. The service light comes on at start up but goes out after the required interval even though the car has been duly serviced. Of more concern is that the EM light randomly comes on from time to time, but does not appear to adversely affect either performance or economy in any way. My garage tells me that it is most probably a borderline sensor and to not be overly concerned about it.

On that basis, I would say that, in my opinion, the example that you reference is overpriced by several hundreds of pounds.

Regards, John.
Old May 16th, 2021, 15:25   #6
turboboy
Master Member

Something is worth what someone is willing to pay.

I would suggest that £800 is a reasonable asking price, subject to viewing and everything being O.K.

You have to factor in that a) a saloon is not as popular as an estate and b) it has the 10 valve engine which is again not so desirable as the 20v.

With the above in mind it will probably only attract local interest as, personally, I wouldn't travel far to view a car unless it was something I really wanted, but then again if you are looking for reliable transport on a budget and it is within easy reach then it is always worth viewing.

Personally, the asking price appears about right, but if I was in the market for one I would be looking at paying around £600.

Old May 16th, 2021, 15:33   #7
turboboy
Master Member

Missed your question about the service light.

It is just that - the car requires a service and the light resetting. Which service depends on what has been done on previous services.

It could be just oil & filter but it could also be timing belt, serpentine belt, plugs, points etc. and can only be answered by checking the service history against the mileage and dates.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to turboboy For This Useful Post:
Old May 16th, 2021, 17:22   #8
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Is it just me that thinks this or does that car really look "down at heel"?

A little bit uncared for, nothing i could definitely say that it's been neglected as such but likely to need a fair bit of TLC on lots of silly things that should have been done as a matter of course.

If i had £800 to spend on another car, i'd look for something that seemed more appealing at first glance.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2021, 18:21   #9
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Is it just me that thinks this or does that car really look "down at heel"?

A little bit uncared for, nothing i could definitely say that it's been neglected as such but likely to need a fair bit of TLC on lots of silly things that should have been done as a matter of course.

If i had £800 to spend on another car, i'd look for something that seemed more appealing at first glance.
Exactly my thoughts^^^^^^^ It is basically an old gas guzzling saloon and an auto to boot. Apart from a Volvo enthusiast looking for that specific spec it will have little appeal in the general second hand market.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old May 16th, 2021, 18:30   #10
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

I think the consensus is that you could do a bit better than this, 'Kev0607'. An asking price of £800 does seem a little on the high side for this particular car, but, in fairness, what can you get for such a sum these days? Go shopping for a new bicycle and one could easily spend that and more.

Coming back to the car in point. If I were the seller, I would put a year's ticket on it (to make it more saleable), and then advertise it at £695 in the expectation of 'shaking' at somewhere between 500 and 600 pounds.

As a potential buyer, if I particularly wanted a saloon, and subject, of course, to the aforementioned MOT, I would be prepared to offer £500, but expect to 'shake' at somewhere between that figure and £600. Result. Both parties satisfied that they have secured a good deal - isn't that all that really matters?

The early S/V70s are now at the bottom of their depreciation curve. This is good news for buyers but not so good for those looking to sell. I fully expect to have to almost give away my V70 when the time comes; but, by then, it will not owe me a penny!

Regards, John.