Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Does petrol go bad?

Views : 1832

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 28th, 2013, 02:35   #11
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backhill1 View Post

Think time to sell if not using, I had this with my defender kept it for the winter and never used other than that and the damage I was doing leaving it lying was unreal!
Brake cylinders annually, pads and disks , prop and all sorts of bearings not getting lubed (all splash). Eventually gave up as I was ruining it. And I was never going to jump in an old rough 4x4 when u have a nice comfy Volvo with heated seats are u?
Not an option to sell really.It was the other half's when she passed her test some years ago.She then got a new car, and the s40 is parked at my fathers, as he has an in out drive, just big enough for lorries and large vehicles to park, which are left there for days on end,making entrance and exit hard, and dangerous, not to mention blocking light and view,plus no one can see behind a large high vehicle so break ins etc may go on unnoticed, as they provide cover etc.

Its used from time to time to keep it oiled,and so nothing seriously sticks, and left idling to charge the battery, lubricate the engine etc etc.Passes mot fine each year (or at least for the last 4) so hopefully for at least the next 4?..!!

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 10:28   #12
Daim
Brit in Germany

It depends on which fuel mixture you have. If 100% petrol, then it will take a while for it to go 'off' as it doesn't rot, oxidise etc. If you have 95% petrol, 5% ethanol (E5) then it will draw water. That doesn't take long. The petrol will then be resting on water at the bottom of the tank. If you have 90% petrol, 10% ethanol, then it draws even more water and that contaminates the fuel.

Also, modern fuels are more combustable than older ones, but don't like to sit too long.100% petrol is the best to let sit for a while...

So depending on what has been filled into the tank, it will be fine or contain a little water or a little bit more water.

PS: if a car has a metal tank, it should be filled to the brim, to stop the tank rusting inside... Just as a side note

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daim For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 10:46   #13
volvorocks
Rodney

Hi Daim

I have no idea what the fuel tank is made of, its an old s40. Also no idea what the petrol consists of, as I just go to the petrol station and fill up!

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 10:58   #14
Blandy15

I always used to fill my bikes to the brim before packing away for the winter so no air gap and exposed tank to rust never had a problem starting again when the weather got better.
Blandy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 11:31   #15
Gazdok
Master Member

I can only comment from the biking point of view. As said by TT82 before when you wrapped up the bike for winter in the days of carbs you did 2 things to the tank and carbs.
Either completely empty the tank or completely fill it to the brim. This reduced the risk of water collection at the bottom and rusting through. The other thing we used to do was to empty the carbs because petrol will evaporate slowly and any impuritis / dirt will then concentrate and clog up small ducts in the carb. I always filled the tank to the brim. Petrol never went off over the winter months.
Gazdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 12:20   #16
Anadinolin
VOC Member

After a year and a half it turns to jelly in my experience, good for lighting fires with, but not running dirtbikes
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 13:56   #17
Marty Dolomite
Premier Member

Modern fuel will start to 'go off' in a few months and although most cars will still run on older fuel it will not run 100%.
Marty Dolomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 14:53   #18
Bernard333
Premier Member

I bought a V70 for spares from a forum member in 2009 and he very kindly left well over half a tank of petrol in it , still not put any petrol in and it starts first time and runs smoothly , I think the V70 tank is well sealed which helps avoid loss through evaporation . A different V70 with the sender/in tank seal removed but covered , the three gallons of petrol evaporated completely within 6 weeks leaving a tar like brown deposit in the bottom of the tank , I think I probably need to clean it out properly before starting it again .
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 16:09   #19
Bill_56
Premier Member

Evidence that petrol 'goes off' can be seen by anybody who has left a lawn mower full of petrol over winter. The maker's instructions usually tell to run it dry at end of the season. Disobey that and whilst you may be lucky, chances are the carb will need stripping and cleaning come the new season.
Bill_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 16:16   #20
volvo145
Premier Member

Petrol will go sour.
In the spring a lot of people take there garden machinery to get repaired at the start of the season because of starting issues.
The first thing the mechanic will do is change the fuel and it will normally start.
Something for the gardeners on here to bear in mind for the future .
volvo145 is offline   Reply With Quote