Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Disabling passenger seat belt message

Views : 1221

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 21st, 2013, 21:55   #1
mattjeh

Default Disabling passenger seat belt message

My s40 2006 has developed a fault on the front passenger side. Even with no passenger and the seat empty, the seat belt warning is constantly on, meaning I always have to have the seat belt strap attached.

I think it was somehow caused by water damage (friends and I got caught in a storm, returning to the car dripping wet, the fault started the next day).

So my questions are:
a) What part could be faulty that is sending the 'always on' signal?
b) Is there a way of disabling only the passenger side seat belt alert?

Thank you for your time.
mattjeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 22:07   #2
Daim
Brit in Germany

The faulty part is the weight sensor.

I've got a next to new cushion incl. sensor if you need it... The sensor is only part of the cushion. To change it the seat has to be removed.

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 22:16   #3
mattjeh

That sounds like a good option thank you. How much would you be looking for it if we went ahead?
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 22:56   #4
Daim
Brit in Germany

Well, I am located in Germany, so P&P could be a tad dearer... Give me a night to get a quote and I'll get back to you

Old Apr 21st, 2013, 23:26   #5
mattjeh

It might not be practical for now, it's also an annoying problem, but nothing major. Thanks for the offer and I'll keep it in mind for the future, but don't worry about pricing it up for now.
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 12:56   #6
ianmary321

For less than £2 you can buy a plastic "buckle" from e-bay, which fits into the seat belt fastener and therefore disarms the alarm.
I bought one for when I am driving on remote Scottish islands and seat belts are not usually worn due to slow speeds / short journeys / single track roads.
Unfortunately I can't remember what exactly it was called, but I'm sure a search will find them.
It won't cure the cause, but will stop the annoying alarm.
ianmary321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 14:52   #7
Daim
Brit in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmary321 View Post
For less than £2 you can buy a plastic "buckle" from e-bay, which fits into the seat belt fastener and therefore disarms the alarm.
I bought one for when I am driving on remote Scottish islands and seat belts are not usually worn due to slow speeds / short journeys / single track roads.
Unfortunately I can't remember what exactly it was called, but I'm sure a search will find them.
It won't cure the cause, but will stop the annoying alarm.
Erm, the sensor is broken. You are basically trying to treat the symptomes but not the illness. If the sensor doesn't work right, the airbag won't work properly. Being a twin step airbag opening to two different sizes (depending on weight of person on seat), it will probably open big all the time. If the seat sensor says someone is already in the seat without anyone sitting in it, how would it be if someone really did sit in it?

Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 19:40   #8
mattjeh

Wow I had no idea that one issue would have such knock on consequences for other functions of the car!

Tags
alert, belt, seat