Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help please - no petrol

Views : 2121

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 25th, 2011, 17:26   #21
woolfie1948

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions but it appears that sometimes the simplest ideas are best.
It occured to me in the small hours of last night that if it was so easy for me to suck petrol up the tube leading to the pump it should also be easy to suck petrol out the pump from the outlet pipe, and if johnh was correct the pump did not like sucking air this was a simple way to prime it.
There was a delay in trying as I had clear up the back of my v70 as the top came off a 5ltr tub of magnolia emulsion and did not improve the look of the grey leather upholstery and carpet!
I pushed a clear tube on the pump outlet and watched as I easily sucked air and petrol into the pipe, waited for the air to bubble out and the petrol level to drop, and sucked again until no more bubbles only petrol coming up my tube.
I then assumed the pipe to the pump, and the pump, were full and petrol could not run back to the tank so could take my time connecting the pump to the carbs.
To my relief he engine started first time and has been running all afternoon.
The only thing to try to work out now is if I originally ran out of petrol (faulty fuel gauge showing 1/4) or I had petrol in the tank and I really needed to by that new pump. Any ideas to test it without running it dry?
Jonathan
woolfie1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woolfie1948 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 25th, 2011, 21:19   #22
Audrey Old
VOC Member

Only a quick one Jonathan: some years ago one of the short flex pipes from the two-way T-piece just before the carbs became blocked/perished internally on one of my cars. Only one carb received fuel, and then not much, as both pipes were probably original (they were cloth-covered).
I changed them both and no more problems......
Just a thought.

Paul
Audrey Old is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Audrey Old For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 27th, 2011, 20:56   #23
john h
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolfie1948 View Post
The only thing to try to work out now is if I originally ran out of petrol (faulty fuel gauge showing 1/4) or I had petrol in the tank and I really needed to by that new pump. Any ideas to test it without running it dry?
Jonathan
Don't tempt fate! I'd just leave the new pump on and keep the old one as a spare.

Glad you got it sorted.

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to john h For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 27th, 2011, 21:34   #24
woolfie1948

Thanks John.
Good to see your latest update on your project.
I hope that new pump will stay on now - it was on and off so many times I broke the gasket so hope it does not leak oil now and have to come off again.
However what I meant to say was I now need to test the fuel gauge so I don't run out again if it's reading wrongly.
It is almost down to 3/4 now so should take about 15ltrs when I fill up. If it takes around 30 I will have to assume that it did run out when it was showing 1/4.
Jonathan
woolfie1948 is offline   Reply With Quote