Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cannot select control modules in VIDA diagnostics

Views : 664

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 16th, 2022, 14:59   #1
ritchie71

Default Cannot select control modules in VIDA diagnostics

Hi there,

I am struggling to be able to get the diagnostics info in VIDA. I have a 2004 V70 D5 and am using the JLW mongoose device and the VIDA software detects that fine. It can read all the car info, it lets me scan and the diagnostic tab becomes available. All the control modules that my car has available show up as green boxes as you would expect.

The problem then comes when I click on any of them. The mouse shows the little finger pointer as I role over, I click any of them and then no information appears below. Nothing at all. It does not look like it tries, almost as if it is just not registering the fact I am clicking it. TCM is what I am after specifically, but as I mention it does not matter which I click, the result is the same.

What I cannot get my head around is that VIDA is able to connect with my car, it pulls all the data in the diagnostic "details" tab, so there is no real suggestion to say this is a communication problem. It is like I have a problem with the software specifically.

I just wondered if anybody else has come across this? It a tricky thing to search the forum for with keywords.

It is probably worth mentioning that I am running this in a windows 7 VM from volvodiag.com.

Cheers in advance
ritchie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2022, 16:08   #2
Simmy
Premier Member

try reading from the initial state tab
Simmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2022, 17:46   #3
ritchie71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
try reading from the initial state tab
Thanks for the response. I assume this is the part in the fault codes section of the diagnostics? Weirdly I can actually read the fault code data from there if I try.

It is the vehicle communication section in diagnostics that I cannot get to. All the control modules light up green still. Just nothing happens when I click them
Old Dec 16th, 2022, 17:57   #4
ritchie71

Well I just tried again and it works... I assume the reboot of the machine has somehow fixed it
The Following User Says Thank You to ritchie71 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 16th, 2022, 18:29   #5
Simmy
Premier Member

there are some good vids on youtube on how to use vida the one by fairport farms is a good one and a beginners guide by mathew leavesley is also very informative.there is also a face book group for vida dice users.
Old Dec 16th, 2022, 19:13   #6
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

To be fair it sounds like he's doing it right, it just wasn't loading

do bear in mind though this is a hacked copy of a piece of software that by rights should be paid for, so the odd glitchy error here and there is to be expected really

obviously I've never been using pirated software all my life or anything and I would say never do it it's totally wrong, wagging finger and so on

no but on my VIDA for some reason I have had the odd glitch like the car's full details list sometimes shows up and sometimes doesn't, it's just one of those things

mostly I just use it on this PC indoors though as a parts catalouge and to screenshot diagrams for people

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2022, 19:32   #7
Simmy
Premier Member

you can never have too much info with vida i too use laptop with mains supply if it looses power mid term it can cause all kind of problems.
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 16th, 2022, 19:46   #8
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

that's true, a long twin extension lead is handy, one for the laptop and one for the battery charger if you're working on it a while

although to be fair I usually just do it with the engine running and I've never had a problem, especially when just looking at stuff and tinkering

the other day I was quite pleased with myself for changing the dash clock to 12hr instead of 24hr. that had been bugging me for ages

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2022, 21:31   #9
ritchie71

Yep, seems like it was a glitch as you say. I probably should have just been more patient, rebooted and tried again before asking for help

First time I have used the software today. I am amazed how much info is in there... extremely useful.