Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Front knock driver side

Views : 3034

Replies : 53

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 9th, 2022, 20:13   #1
Mattttt

Default Front knock driver side

Evening all,

Volvo v70 D5 2004

Have a strange knock from the front right, pre MOT said it was the top mount, changed that still there, i realise its nigh on impossible to diagnose over the internet but do they have any common faults in that area? I can hear it when i stop, pull off and some times whilst driving, Has had new springs, tie rods, ball joints and wishbones in the last year, not sure on the shock health though.

As ever any help gratefully received
Mattttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2022, 20:31   #2
Lancee
Premier Member

Droplink or axle ping ?
Lancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2022, 20:50   #3
camturbo

As above or lower torque mount as they can fail on the smaller bush. Should have one on a auto but unsure if there is one on a manual.
Old Sep 9th, 2022, 23:11   #4
Mattttt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancee View Post
Droplink or axle ping ?
Its had droplinks new, axle pin?? Its had a new drivers axle also
Old Sep 9th, 2022, 23:58   #5
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

This will sound strange but check the pads aren't shifting about and that the disc is also secure.

Or specifically remove pads and re anti squeal them.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2022, 00:15   #6
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

engine mounts should be fairly obvious by opening the bonnet, grabbing the engine by the head and giving it a good rock side to side and forwards backwards (if the former it would be the mount under the pulley end, if the latter it could be the top mount or gearbox mount) this test is even more effective when the front end is up on stands and you take the springs out of the equation

the torque mount / gearbox bracket can seem fine because it's got weight resting on it when fitted. until you take it right off and shake it by hand - that's when you notice the worn bush(es)

drop links, even if they're new they can be not done up to full 'FT' which is sometimes tricky because of the counter hold, that would be obvious when you rock the car hard side to side

brake issue could be the retaining spring being not fitted correctly, that pops up in posts from time to time

seemingly obvious stuff can go awry as well like are all the wheel nuts done up tight (sounds daft but easily done)

could be a roll bar bush on it's way out (I would cross your fingers it isn't though because that would be a royal pain in the arse)

other than that, wishbones etc all done up tight since fitting? (check every bolt you can get a spanner on to) I assume you've already jacked up one corner at a time and tried to rock the wheel top/bottom and left/right..

-------------------------
mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Sep 10th, 2022 at 00:22.
stuart bowes is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stuart bowes For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 10th, 2022, 07:38   #7
myfirstv70

Bottom ball joint? I have developed a very slight knock at 155k.....MOT picked it up.....
myfirstv70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to myfirstv70 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 10th, 2022, 13:23   #8
Mattttt

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstv70 View Post
Bottom ball joint? I have developed a very slight knock at 155k.....MOT picked it up.....
Hope not they new 😬
Old Sep 10th, 2022, 13:25   #9
Mattttt

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart bowes View Post
engine mounts should be fairly obvious by opening the bonnet, grabbing the engine by the head and giving it a good rock side to side and forwards backwards (if the former it would be the mount under the pulley end, if the latter it could be the top mount or gearbox mount) this test is even more effective when the front end is up on stands and you take the springs out of the equation

the torque mount / gearbox bracket can seem fine because it's got weight resting on it when fitted. until you take it right off and shake it by hand - that's when you notice the worn bush(es)

drop links, even if they're new they can be not done up to full 'FT' which is sometimes tricky because of the counter hold, that would be obvious when you rock the car hard side to side

brake issue could be the retaining spring being not fitted correctly, that pops up in posts from time to time

seemingly obvious stuff can go awry as well like are all the wheel nuts done up tight (sounds daft but easily done)

could be a roll bar bush on it's way out (I would cross your fingers it isn't though because that would be a royal pain in the arse)

other than that, wishbones etc all done up tight since fitting? (check every bolt you can get a spanner on to) I assume you've already jacked up one corner at a time and tried to rock the wheel top/bottom and left/right..
I did yea, this is why i changed the tie rod ends as had them and never got around to it, old ones were not in good condition, i jacked it up before the premot and the front shock when moving left to right was jumpy but they picked that up as the top mount, so since then no, im off next week so will have a good look, maybe the end for this car as i still have the anti skid and MOT is December
Old Sep 10th, 2022, 13:34   #10
Lancee
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattttt View Post
Its had droplinks new, axle pin?? Its had a new drivers axle also
Try an internet search for Volvo axle ping as a start.

I think it was XC90 driveshaft bolts that cured the issue but NLA from Volvo. I believe there is an aftermarket alternative.

Both my V70 D5's had/have axle ping. The MY05 has them fitted, no ping.

The MY02 does not, has ping. I may try the aftermarket or some NOS if I can find them, but a little expensive for two bolts when not much mileage clocked up with this one.
Lancee is online now   Reply With Quote