Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Thermostat must have always been knackered

Views : 1355

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 30th, 2008, 20:09   #1
Laney760
VOC Member

Talking Thermostat must have always been knackered

Finally found time to get my new thermostat in today. Well, what a revelation! From when I bought the car in July until the she started playing up last month she had always taken at least 4 miles to warm up, sometimes more. Once she started playing up it became 7 miles plus and finally never this last couple of weeks. With the new thermostat in she's warmed up by the time I get to Tescos, lol!

So when I kept reading on the net that these engines take forever to warm up I had no reason to question my four plus miles when I first bought her!! In other words my thermostat must have been knackered from day one I bought her

So, anyone whose D24TIC takes more than a mile or so to fully warm up on the guage (needle exactly midway, pointing to 12 o clock) and you think it's because these engines are renowned for taking a long time, check out your thermostat! (PS Some sources recommend waiting 10 mins after warming up before doing any full throttle work due to oil pressure taking a long time to get up in these cars)

PS Thanks Peter Milnes for pointing me in the direction of my thermostat ref my long warming up time!

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laney760 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 20:32   #2
craig8661
Master Member

mine used to warm up fairly quick but couldnt tell you what the temp gauge was as it stopped working in the first week i had it it used to work then once in a blue moon.
it is handy as some one may find this post usefull who dont kno the engines.
to add the thermostat on these are so easy to change as long as the bolts dont snap i would say 10 mins at a slow pace then just refill then bleed up

NOTICE OF DISCLAIMER any information i give is soley on my own findings and mess ups
craig8661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2008, 20:04   #3
oman5

ah, thats interesting- my D24t has always taken ages to warm up, and only ever blows lukewarm from the heater, unusual for a volvo. My temp gauge has never worked either. can you tell me where to find the thermostat?
oman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2008, 20:11   #4
Laney760
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman5 View Post
ah, thats interesting- my D24t has always taken ages to warm up, and only ever blows lukewarm from the heater, unusual for a volvo. My temp gauge has never worked either. can you tell me where to find the thermostat?
I got mine from Euro Car Parts online, only a few quid, very fast delivery but they are out of the little gasket that you might need with it. Great site, brilliant prices, just enter your car model details in the top right hand corner and you will see all that they have for your car. Hurry up and do yours cos hard driving on a cold engine is a major cause of short engine life in these cars due to one very long run of oil pipe, lots of info about this all over the net...

http://www.eurocarparts.com/

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laney760 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 23:25   #5
craig8661
Master Member

when i got mine it had a rubber gasket on the outside of the thermostate that samwidged between the block and the hose connector of the unit your heater should be roasting other thing it could be is your heater matrix could need flushing out

NOTICE OF DISCLAIMER any information i give is soley on my own findings and mess ups
Old Nov 13th, 2008, 18:55   #6
oman5

I've changed the thermostat, still no heater! is there a way to bleed the system? I have tried bleeding it with the plug on the side of the pipe down by the 'stat, but there doesnt seem to be any water reaching the heater itself. any ideas?
Old Nov 13th, 2008, 21:05   #7
craig8661
Master Member

look under the dash follow the hot cold cable down you will see like a tap that stops water going into the matrix look there to start also look in the engine bay to make sure no pipes cut to bypass the matrix

Old Nov 14th, 2008, 00:22   #8
jor
VOC 20573

If you follow the thin hose from the thermostat bacwards you will see it going to the bulkhead. A second hose emerges from the bulkhead immediately below the first and goes into the back of the engine. Drain the coolant by disconnecting the big lower radiator hose from the thermostat after removing the expansion tank cap. Save the coolant if you have recently changed it.
To flush the heater disconnect the first (upper) hose from the thermostat and connect it to a garden hose. Also disconnect the lower hose at the bulkhead and then flush until clear water emerges.
When refilling disconnect the upper hose from the cold start device to avoid air locks (same to bleed the system)
There may be a diagram of the above on k-jet.org. I would have posted the picture from the manual, however guinea pig damage has done for the camera cable.
If no water emerges presumably as Craig says it is time for a change of heater matrix for which procedure a full photo guide has been kindly provided courtesy of Chesh740 - and I hope for your sake it does not prove to be required!

jor

Last edited by jor; Nov 14th, 2008 at 00:32.
jor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 12:38   #9
jor
VOC 20573

Default Flushing heater.

FWIW here is the relevant manual page.

jor
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01448.jpg (161.4 KB, 17 views)
jor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 23:13   #10
oman5

Yes!!! we have heatage!! flushed the system through with rad flush, refilled and bled it. now it sets fire to your legs 10 mins after starting.

cheers guys!!!