Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine 'carbon cleaning'

Views : 3498

Replies : 63

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 9th, 2021, 13:06   #61
Christerart
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart bowes View Post
MOT done, emissions 'perfect' handbrake 'perfect' and 'immaculate underneath'

Side note I did get the handbrake down to 3 clicks for normal 4 clicks on a hill, but 100% would not achieve that without the adjusters. With brand new everything

Best feedback I've ever had on a car . I said to him did he think it was worth 3.5k and he sort of ummed and ahhed and went well yeah I guess if you like it enough lol well at least he didn't say no. Then it was just half hour chatting about minis and imps
I thought I read you got something like 6K in it...

Certainly worth that if you're happy and plan on keeping it for a number of years.
Old Jun 9th, 2021, 13:08   #62
Christerart
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart bowes View Post
MOT done, emissions 'perfect' handbrake 'perfect' and 'immaculate underneath'

Side note I did get the handbrake down to 3 clicks for normal 4 clicks on a hill, but 100% would not achieve that without the adjusters. With brand new everything

Best feedback I've ever had on a car . I said to him did he think it was worth 3.5k and he sort of ummed and ahhed and went well yeah I guess if you like it enough lol well at least he didn't say no. Then it was just half hour chatting about minis and imps

Double post
Old Jun 9th, 2021, 14:16   #63
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christerart View Post
I thought I read you got something like 6K in it....
my original budget was 6k but I went a bit over that, I'm somewhere near 7.5 now

but.. that includes about a grands worth of stereo and about £700 for a proper authentic service and belt change / new water pump, coolant, oil, etc

I replaced the entire braking system and that probably wasnt really necessary, does that count as the 'value' of the car.. bit of a grey area

how often does anyone buy a car 2nd hand 20 years old and then not spend anything more on it lol . I usually look at my budget and spend like 70-80% of it on the car and then assume the rest will be needed for work on it. better than spending every last penny on the car then finding it needs a new clutch or exhaust or whatever

it's amazing how much the little bits add up, I've not really spent any large amounts but I've literally accounted for every single thing. includes things that are extras like the audio, but also, roof bars, wheel refurb, cosmetic bits and so on

it's not something I really ever did before, because I was a bit slapdash with finances, but I wanted to know this time literally to the nearest pound exactly how much I've thrown at it. I think if others did the same it would be quite common to find they too have doubled the original purchase price

I've no doubt there will be people thinking wtf you could have got an R or a turbo one, or whatever. but the simple fact is I didn't want an R or a turbo one. And yes I could have got a knackered old one for £700 but I was willing to pay a premium for low mileage and overall condition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christerart View Post
Certainly worth that if you're happy and plan on keeping it for a number of years.
exactly this ^^ its the car I got to last at least 3-4 years while I save up mortgage deposit

the idea is once it's sorted it doesnt cost me anything more in that time frame, I'm pretty confident that it wont. barring a minor item or two. plus I save money by doing most of the work myself, always have

anyway rant over I suppose I'd better do some more work (slow day today)

-------------------------
mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Jun 9th, 2021 at 14:35.
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2021, 14:32   #64
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

to get back on topic

after various work done I've now got up to low 20's mpg

other details on this post https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=315299
and this post https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=316712

urban 21.5mpg
mixed (80miles urban, 100miles A road at speed and fully loaded) 23mpg

-------------------------
mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Jun 9th, 2021 at 14:55.
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote