Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rustoleum matt black tractor paint

Views : 2176

Replies : 60

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 16th, 2024, 16:44   #21
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offgrid View Post
Sounds as if my idea of forgetting about liner, and just varnishing the backboard is going to be the easiest solution.
You are underestimating the amount of sanding you would have to do to remove the glue in order to varnish it. One thing is to remove 90% of the old glue to put new glue. Another is to remove the last 10% in order to varnish.
Even if you had to break it or cut it in half to take it out, re-upwolstering would be much better. It doesn't cost you much in materials and, besides the apparent issues with taking it out of the salloon in one piece, it is a very easy job. 2 Rattle cans of glue and a bit of fabric of your choice, is all it takes. Cost me like 50€ to do the Polo, but I overpaid on the glue.

If you have to vut it out, cut it in the area of the pillars so the area of the cut will be nicely supported. A single layer you fiberglass mesh with a bit of epoxy is all you need. It's a 48h job, just because it needs to dry. 15mins of actual work time and 1/10 in difficuty. a 10€ epoxy and fiberglass kit with be more than enough for this.

EDIT: Not even considering you would be sanding this glue upside down inside the car. What a nightmare.

Last edited by SalvadorP; Feb 16th, 2024 at 16:46.
SalvadorP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2024, 16:45   #22
Chris1Roll

That's unlikely to rust appreciably - they are heavily galvanised, and im sure some were even aluminum?
I'd still leave it be if you are keeping the survivor look.

Take a look at Dean of Machines; Redblock Jesus; or Volvo Enthusiasts Group on Youtube
A lot of their cars, all the horizontal surfaces are bleached totally white by the sun.
Chris1Roll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2024, 16:45   #23
bob12
bob12

I replaced the headliner on my '90 745 a few years back with a very clean one from a '94 Celebration. The cost then was £25. It's still looking good.

It was relatively easy to do myself. I took the old one out and then picked up the new one and drove it home to fix it. I found a Workmate and my old beer crate useful. All this is relatively easy with an estate as it comes out and in via the tailgate.

The only difference was the two front roof clips were in a slightly different inset position to the original four square clips. This required making up a couple of brackets and fixing them to the inside of the steel roof. Some of the plastic side/roof trim was very brittle and required care removing them. The most awkward bit to remove and replace without braking the holding lugs was the mirror trim.

I understand that for a saloon it's best to remove the front passenger seat and this then makes it much more easly to remove and replace.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OldHeadlinerR.JPG (67.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg NewHeadlinerR.JPG (69.0 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by bob12; Feb 16th, 2024 at 16:48.
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2024, 17:06   #24
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offgrid View Post
Here is a pic of the bonnet -

It was taken earlier today, and there wasn't any sun, so it isn't all that clear. It does show that the bonnet is structuraly sound. I marbling effect is worse than it appears in the photo.
Could you try a decent machine polish? Even if it didn't come out perfectly it would look a lot better than a hand brushed matt black bonnet, very early naughties fast and furious is what a black bonnet reminds me of.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2024, 17:07   #25
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1Roll View Post
That's unlikely to rust appreciably - they are heavily galvanised, and im sure some were even aluminum?
I'd still leave it be if you are keeping the survivor look.

Take a look at Dean of Machines; Redblock Jesus; or Volvo Enthusiasts Group on Youtube
A lot of their cars, all the horizontal surfaces are bleached totally white by the sun.
The MK2 760 had an aluminium bonnet as did the 740 diesel.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 16th, 2024, 20:13   #26
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
The MK2 760 had an aluminium bonnet as did the 740 diesel.
I didn't get that OffGrid would hand paint it, but you are the second person to mention that. I wouldn't do that.
But, this paint can be bought in rattle spray cans. Couldn't find full matt, but low gloss is available. Maybe other brands have full matt spray cans.

So, no need to use brushes or rollers. That would look pretty bad. Also OffGrid might have access to an air compressor, if so, a cheap spray gun would also be an option.
The guy I posted a video of earlier, has painted a whole car with a 100$ (or 50, can't remember) kit from amazon and the results were very acceptable.

Last edited by SalvadorP; Feb 16th, 2024 at 20:17.
SalvadorP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2024, 20:18   #27
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
Could you try a decent machine polish? Even if it didn't come out perfectly it would look a lot better than a hand brushed matt black bonnet, very early naughties fast and furious is what a black bonnet reminds me of.
Aren't there spray cans of clearcoat? After polish it applying a few layers of clearcoat could be a decent option. Embrace the patina.
Old Feb 16th, 2024, 22:05   #28
J liddy

Please Don't paint it Black !
J liddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2024, 00:10   #29
Forrest
VOC Member

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Sorry, but it had to be done!
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 17th, 2024, 02:19   #30
J liddy

Yes I rambert it 1st time round too forrest
J liddy is offline   Reply With Quote