Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How Slow is Slow??

Views : 5048

Replies : 169

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 5th, 2024, 23:21   #11
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
Hi,

Had a 940 2.0 Turbo for a few years and suffered a self inflicted coolant catastrophe 🙄🙄

Need some wheels pretty sharpish, tried the dealer who I bought my Wentworth from as he usually has old Volvos, and he has a 1 owner early H 1991 2.0 non turbo on site, 153k but massive service history file.

Whilst it’s said to be more basic than my old one, and a manual, begets can’t be choosers…

Obviously going to look tomorrow if possible, and see what sort of ££ he’s looking for.

Aware that the non turbo will be slower, but appreciate any input from anyone who has driven both. Also, are clutches ok at 150k??

Cheers
Steve
What happened to your car steve? You probably posted but I must have missed it. Did it overheat? It's just headgasket or is the engine gone?

EDIT: never mind i just found your post.
Old Feb 6th, 2024, 18:55   #12
Steve 940
Premier Member

Well now I know, bit of kicking tyres this morning and a 20 min spin just to see how I felt about the driving experience of the non turbo 2.0.

Mmm, I think best to describe as tepid, but not glacial.... actually I would probably be quite happy tooling around local East Anglian roads for 99% of the time. Any holiday ventures to more hilly counties, or long motorway gradients may change my mind, especially if fully loaded.

Rather shocking MOT history, enjoy!!!

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk...ckRecalls=true

Bugger, at least its relatively cheap. Flip a coin time

Cheers
Steve
Steve 940 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2024, 19:04   #13
Moomoo
VOC Member

The history is poor Steve!

Will it be tested before potential purchase?

Good luck with whatever you decide!🧐👍
Old Feb 6th, 2024, 19:19   #14
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Question

Quote:
Well now I know, bit of kicking tyres this morning and a 20 min spin just to see how I felt about the driving experience of the non turbo 2.0.

Mmm, I think best to describe as tepid, but not glacial.... actually I would probably be quite happy tooling around local East Anglian roads for 99% of the time. Any holiday ventures to more hilly counties, or long motorway gradients may change my mind, especially if fully loaded.

Cheers
Steve
So it's crusty and has worn suspension, I suspect it will be sold with a lovely clean MOT with no advisories at all. It looks like it has not been maintained and just had the work done to get it though it's MOT's.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2024, 19:22   #15
bob12
bob12

I am compelled to comment that my 34 year old '90 745 which I have had since new with the B200F/M47/LH2.4 does not suffer the problems of slowness experienced by some in this thread (excepting the little idle problem which formed a thread here in September '23 which was sorted out).

The car is virtually rust free; drives prefectly adequately in local traffic and will put most to shame on the motorway. I have never noticed cars stacking up behind me although you always get the mad German car gang eager to commit suicide and pass anything in front of them!

Fine, is not my '98 2.4 V70 T5 CD Auto but, it's far more economical on the gas!

Bob

Last edited by bob12; Feb 6th, 2024 at 22:02.
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2024, 19:31   #16
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:

Cheers
Steve
By cheap I'm assuming you mean £500 ? I wouldnt pay any more than that for it going by the MOT history
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2024, 19:37   #17
Steve 940
Premier Member

Sorry Andrew, what a numpty, didn’t expand.

Car is clean.. ish, a few areas of rust underneath, and body wise ok apart from a patch of rust on the top edge of NSR door ? How on earth did that rust there?? Door cards virtually perfect, although rears are keep fit windows.

Downside is it doesn’t have roof rails, and it’s a manual (yes I know I’m lazy&#128512

Never driven a manual 940 previously so have no idea what the bite point should be, on this one it was fairly high up the pedal travel before engaging, I.e you lift the clutch 3-4 inches before it starting to roll. Is this normal??

Deal is full new ticket, full service with Brookhouse parts, genuine Volvo if available, cam belt and front seals. New rear lamp assemblies as cloudy so probably won’t pass test, both rear side window lower rubbers have 4” at front end on both side that has come adrift, he’s happy to replace these. £3500 asking and includes minimal dealer warranty.

Bit torn as I realise dealer need to make a crust, and looking on eBay and Car & Classic there is not a huge amount of choice, probably best is a what looks to be a clean Torslanda at £6k, several others around the £3k mark don’t have great history either, albeit not 2.0 non turbo.

Cheers
Steve
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2024, 19:47   #18
Moomoo
VOC Member

It’s not cheap is it?

I am aware of the need.🤔

There’s not much about for sale , alas!😟

Last edited by Moomoo; Feb 6th, 2024 at 19:50.
Moomoo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2024, 19:56   #19
griston64
Premier Member

Don't take this the wrong way Steve but that's a ridiclous price for a non turbo B200F 740 with that MOT history
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2024, 20:01   #20
Steve 940
Premier Member

😀😀 ‘cheap’ is always relative…..

I think I will wait a week or so and hopefully some nicer ones come out onto the online platforms.

Cheers
Steve
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post: