Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2028043

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 4th, 2022, 09:35   #3651
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I'm about 95% sure I've fixed the issue by modifying the constant air temperature device Dave. I've tuned it by ear and checked the plug colour after a 20 mile run. I agree though: the only way of testing and adjusting properly is with a CO meter, so I've treated myself to one. It is a Gunson G4125, new and should be here early next week.

As I think I mentioned, F1 would let me use their gas analyser during a quiet period next week, but I don't mind investing in tools that I will use again; this one will also be useful for the Amazon and my two motorcycles.

:-)
Ah, the good ol' Gastester - owned and used one for many moons now!

Don't be too surprised if you find it still shows as running excessively rich when you connect it up and test it, i've had many engines seem to be running spot on and then found they were running rich.
Also if by some chance you've made the mixture excessively lean, the Gastester is likely to show it's too rich - this is due to the HC content rising, causing a false reading and enriching the mixture will cause the reading to drop.
This is a compromise between a cheap tester and one costing a few thousand pounds, as long as you're aware of this anomaly and know the remedy, it's easily worked round.

I'm surprised you were able to find a new Gastester, i thought Gunsons had stopped making them due to lack of demand as most cars these days are closed-loop Lambda controlled and as such, not possible to adjust so the days of the home mechanic tuning their car for optimum efficiency are largely gone.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 4th, 2022, 11:57   #3652
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
... I'm surprised you were able to find a new Gastester, i thought Gunsons had stopped making them due to lack of demand as most cars these days are closed-loop Lambda controlled and as such, not possible to adjust so the days of the home mechanic tuning their car for optimum efficiency are largely gone.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174644972180
Old Nov 4th, 2022, 12:02   #3653
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
You did well on that but i suspect that it's NOS, sellers listing is "Out of stock" now, and Gunsons list nearly £200 :

https://www.gunson.co.uk/Product/G41...tester-Digital

Also their "approved seller" from the link on that page is also out of stock :

https://toolsmart.co.uk/gastester-digital

Nearly £30 cheaper than Gunsons RRP, suggests they were selling "last of line". Either way a very useful tool and one that will last with care.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 4th, 2022, 14:15   #3654
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
You did well on that but i suspect that it's NOS, sellers listing is "Out of stock" now, and Gunsons list nearly £200 :

https://www.gunson.co.uk/Product/G41...tester-Digital

Also their "approved seller" from the link on that page is also out of stock :

https://toolsmart.co.uk/gastester-digital

Nearly £30 cheaper than Gunsons RRP, suggests they were selling "last of line". Either way a very useful tool and one that will last with care.
It's out of stock because I bought the last one this morn Dave (the seller claimed to have already sold 25 - I'm guessing in the life of the ad, maybe 28 days?). I think that is a pretty good price for a useful tool; I can use it on the Barge, GAM, my Triumph and Royal Enfield (plus any project motors in the future).

That was £100 cheaper than the RRP Dave: £199.28 ex VAT £239.14 inc VAT.

Last edited by Othen; Nov 4th, 2022 at 14:31. Reason: Correction.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 5th, 2022, 10:06   #3655
Othen
Premier Member

Default Cool Barge

With this recent cooler weather the Barge seems to be warming up slower than I'd expect. I took it out for a run (probably 5 miles or so) this morn and when I got back the thermostat housing was still only at 78C, but the radiator was quite hot (68c at the top). I suspect the thermostat is opening a bit too soon; I probably didn't notice it during our very warm summer as everything would have got hot quickly. I could take the old one out and test it - but that is a messy job and a replacement is only £11, so I'll just fit a new one.

Red block engines are so simple - and common user parts are cheap - hence I like them :-).

Alan
Old Nov 5th, 2022, 10:24   #3656
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
With this recent cooler weather the Barge seems to be warming up slower than I'd expect. I took it out for a run (probably 5 miles or so) this morn and when I got back the thermostat housing was still only at 78C, but the radiator was quite hot (68c at the top). I suspect the thermostat is opening a bit too soon; I probably didn't notice it during our very warm summer as everything would have got hot quickly. I could take the old one out and test it - but that is a messy job and a replacement is only £11, so I'll just fit a new one.

Red block engines are so simple - and common user parts are cheap - hence I like them :-).

Alan
That could easily hve contributed to your high CO level at MoT time Alan, might be worth checking the CO before and after fitting the new 'stat.

Old Nov 5th, 2022, 11:45   #3657
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
That could easily hve contributed to your high CO level at MoT time Alan, might be worth checking the CO before and after fitting the new 'stat.
I was thinking exactly that Dave, if the motor wasn't getting right up to its working temperature that might have thrown the CO level off a bit.

It was exactly my thinking to do as you say: test the exhaust gas, then swap the thermostat and test again. The analyser and new thermostat should both be here in the next few days; it will be interesting to see if I've got to the bottom of this issue.

This is why we love our older motor cars!

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Nov 5th, 2022 at 11:46. Reason: Grammar.
Old Nov 5th, 2022, 12:06   #3658
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I was thinking exactly that Dave, if the motor wasn't getting right up to its working temperature that might have thrown the CO level off a bit.

It was exactly my thinking to do as you say: test the exhaust gas, then swap the thermostat and test again. The analyser and new thermostat should both be here in the next few days; it will be interesting to see if I've got to the bottom of this issue.

This is why we love our older motor cars!

Alan
If the CO still doesn't come down, give the PCV system a thorough clean out, particularly the vacuum stub on the inlet manifold. Also make sure the dashpot in the carb is topped up with ATF as well

Old Nov 5th, 2022, 15:44   #3659
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
It's out of stock because I bought the last one this morn Dave (the seller claimed to have already sold 25 - I'm guessing in the life of the ad, maybe 28 days?). I think that is a pretty good price for a useful tool; I can use it on the Barge, GAM, my Triumph and Royal Enfield (plus any project motors in the future).

That was £100 cheaper than the RRP Dave: £199.28 ex VAT £239.14 inc VAT.

I’d been watching a couple of eBay auctions for second hand Gastester machines. I’ve just watched the first of them (a Mk2 unit with the analogue output) sell for £87 with shipping. It would seem that second hand meters sell for good money, so I feel vindicated in buying a new one for only another £50.

Last edited by Othen; Nov 5th, 2022 at 17:32.
Old Nov 5th, 2022, 17:47   #3660
Othen
Premier Member

Default LED Headlamps

I bought a pair of these LED H4 bulbs, on the recommendation of Tom (the chap to whom I sold the B230e motor). They were just £31 (on Amazon) and arrived today:

The instruction booklet is useless of course, but fitting them is easy and obvious - and they come with a natty pair of white gloves in case I ever get a job as a wine waiter:

The right side one took just a couple of minutes to fit (very clever fittings and well executed), there is room to fit the standard rubber boots, which should keep everything clean. The quality of manufacture looks excellent.

I just fitted the right hand bulb this afternoon so I would be able to get a side-by-side comparison after dusk. So, how do the LEDs compare with H4 halogen bulbs, the answer is:

... Light Up The Sky With Standard Fireworks (very apt on Guy Fawkes night). As you may see, the comparison is stark. I'll fit the nearside bulb tomorrow (it will take a little longer of course because I'll have to move the battery out of the way) and take it for a run after dark. Driving report to follow.

Last edited by Othen; Nov 5th, 2022 at 18:15.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: