Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2027969

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 26th, 2022, 21:16   #3251
360beast
Go redblock or go home

https://www.zoro.co.uk/shop/adhesive...BoCI8kQAvD_BwE

That's the stuff Alan
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 26th, 2022, 21:18   #3252
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
Sorry Alan, IPA I meant wasn't Greene Kings finest, but Isopropanol Alcohol 99.99% so,etching like below

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Isopropanol...26446797&psc=1

I only came across this when using a hotglue dent puller on my old Audi, (don't ask....). Basically it dissolves and releases the hotglue without damaging the paint, and it worked.

Anyway, since first using it I've used it for so many things, it dissolves grease/oils etc. basically, even used it to clean our kitchen cooker extractor hood, and it evaporates in seconds leaving no residue.

Cheers
Steve
Super duper. I've ordered 5litres and will give it a try.
Old Aug 26th, 2022, 21:21   #3253
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
I was thinking that the clear version (whether EBT or 521) might be better so it doesn't show if I make a mistake. What do you think?
Old Aug 26th, 2022, 21:22   #3254
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
So, the story continues, completed or changed stuff in red::

4. Change the plugs, check the points gap and ignition timing - done, I'm starting to like the originality of the Barge, so I may just stick with CB points and so have ordered a new set (for a couple of pounds).

16. Fit an add-on BT receiver so I can still use the original radio/cassette player. Now this one is tricky - see below.
17. Fix the O/D.

The radio issue: I really like the idea of retaining the original radio/cassette - but I have had one pace forward and one pace back with that today. First this arrived from that nice Mr Bezos:

I had almost forgotten about cassette head cleaners, and was quite surprised to find they are still readily available (and cheaply). I'm pleased to say it worked very well and I may now play my one Patsy Cline tape continuously (if I was so inclined).

This little gizmo also arrived:

... it should be absolutely perfect: BT to my cell phone and then a FM radio connection to the Volvo head unit. The connection to my cell phone was fine and the unit was well made and easy to set up. After some time fiddling with the radio, trying to get it to tune in to the same FM frequency as the gizmo I concluded the radio is faulty and will only operate on the MW band. What a pity - I can get Radio 5 Live, but not much else. So, I have a few options:
a. Leave it as it is, get used to MW stations and musicassettes - but no BT to my cell phone for hands free calls and so on.

b. Get the radio/cassette player fixed: I suspect that might be difficult, and probably expensive.

c. Replace the head unit with a modern Sony, new for only £66.50 (a current eBay offer for a brand new unit, which is quite remarkable) - and look for a facia that would fit.
Ideas?

A set of nice new mats arrived - they look the dogs bollocks.

:-)
It's always good practice to renew the condenser with the points Alan, keep the old ones in the boot as "known good but used" spares until the next time you renew them then put the newer used-but-good set in their place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
I’m having one of those phone gizmos! Your FM problem could be aerial connection , mine was poor until I had the head out and cleaned it.

One job at a time eh!
It should still pick up the BT-FM transmission as that doesn't go through the aerial anyway, just transmits to the FM front end within the radio.

Quote:

I think the band selector button on the radio isn't working. The three 'FM' tabs don't work either. I could have a go at taking it apart to see if it is a mechanical problem, maybe something has just stuck? The 'REV' button here doesn't seem to engage with anything (and is supposed to change the band):

I think the little gizmo should be a very good solution.

The "REV" button reverse the direction of the cassette tape, no more, no less. The associated electronics within the unit then switch to the other channels from the tape head so you hear the opposite side of the tape in the correct direction.

Pressing the FM buttons firmly all the way in is how they operate and if any stations have been stored in them, you should see the tuning needle move along the dial. To set a station, tune manually to that frequency, pull the desired preset button out and then push back in firmly. Station is now set on that particular band.
It probably needs a bit of mechanical exercise to get things switching as they should.

PS - just noticed the LW button is in the "out" position where it would be if tuning to a station to set a preset. It won't change from LW with this button out, it needs to be pushed all the way in so another band can be selected by pressing any of the FM bands.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........

Last edited by Laird Scooby; Aug 26th, 2022 at 21:24. Reason: PS........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 26th, 2022, 21:24   #3255
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
I was thinking that the clear version (whether EBT or 521) might be better so it doesn't show if I make a mistake. What do you think?
That’ll liven up the punch-bowl.🍹
Old Aug 26th, 2022, 21:28   #3256
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
I was a bit surprised by the cassette reverse (REV) button also doubling as the band selector, but that seems to be what the user manual (translated directly from the Svenska is telling me:

... and the legend:

... unless I've misunderstood something? I think it is worth having a go at fixing it - but I think a professional repair on a piece of 40 year old electronics would be too costly.

I don't want to appear rude, but I think you have misread the radio manual.

Button 5 (REV) is purely for reversing the direction of the tape travel - it has nothing to do with the radio function.

To select a FM station you need to press one of the FM buttons - this will tune in the preset station that the PO has assigned to that button. To manually tune in a FM station you then need to find the station by turning 11 - the manual tuning knob. Not sure how you then set the pre-set station once you have found it, but no doubt it will be explained in the manual.

That is how the radios in my 145 and 164 were back in the day.

Alan: Just noticed you said the FM buttons are not working. When you press one of the buttons the red indicator bar on the tuning scale should 'jump' to the pre-set station that that button is tuned to. This should happen on all buttons, if not, then the buttons are not working, hth.

Last edited by ITSv40; Aug 26th, 2022 at 21:44.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 26th, 2022, 22:06   #3257
BicycleBoy
Master Member

Quote:
Super duper. I've ordered 5litres and will give it a try.
IPA (isopropanol/isopropyl alcohol) aka;
Brake cleaner/degreaser
Panel wipe
Electical contact cleaner
Screenwash
Hand steriliser
Surgical spirit

at varying dilutions and with different dyes, it crops up all over the place.
Once you know what this stuff is really used in, you'll save a fortune. Also replaces anything that uses meths.
BicycleBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BicycleBoy For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 26th, 2022, 22:10   #3258
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicycleBoy View Post
IPA (isopropanol/isopropyl alcohol) aka;
Brake cleaner/degreaser
Panel wipe
Electical contact cleaner
Screenwash
Hand steriliser
Surgical spirit

at varying dilutions and with different dyes, it crops up all over the place.
Once you know what this stuff is really used in, you'll save a fortune. Also replaces anything that uses meths.
As Steve explained. I've ordered 5 litres, it sounds quite useful stuff to keep in the garage.

Alan
Old Aug 26th, 2022, 22:13   #3259
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
Alan: Just noticed you said the FM buttons are not working. When you press one of the buttons the red indicator bar on the tuning scale should 'jump' to the pre-set station that that button is tuned to. This should happen on all buttons, if not, then the buttons are not working, hth.
That is exactly the issue: the buttons don't work, I've tried all the pulling out/pushing in combinations directed by the instruction book. Perhaps a bit of cleaning is required after all.
Old Aug 27th, 2022, 06:19   #3260
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
It should still pick up the BT-FM transmission as that doesn't go through the aerial anyway, just transmits to the FM front end within the radio.
... I don't think this bit is correct.