Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2027660

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 4th, 2022, 20:49   #3111
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
Congratulations on the sale, but Oh Alan, what will we do without your wonderful detailed posts on the RB's progress, hopefully the buyer will appreciate the work you've completed on the vehicle.

At least the RB will probably get more miles under its wheels😀 and let's hope the Scot joins here to continue the updates, if they have not already checked out its past life on these posts.

On the plus side, you'll now have a pocketful of ££ to either further fettle GAM (I'm sure Luke will be able to come up with some tasteful 'tuning' project😀&#128512 Although I dare say you already have another project idea that might be bubbling away at the back of your mind??

Good luck with a road trip with Bob,

Cheers
Steve
Thank you Steve,

There may be one last chapter of the RB story, I’m just costing up how much it would cost to swap the gearbox for the Scot here - if I do the work I’ll record it all here. The Scot isn’t IT savvy, but I’ll encourage him to continue the thread.

GAM’s thread will continue of course (indefinitely I should think). I’ll need another project to use up that B230e motor :-).

Alan
Old Aug 4th, 2022, 21:01   #3112
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Congrats on the sale Alan although it's a sad day in many ways, i'll miss your latest adventures with it.

Whwn i saw you were considering fitting the AW71 before taking it to the buyer, at first i was all for it, a fitting end to the chapter of the RBs life in your hands as it were.

Then i thought about it a bit more and realised the maiden voyage of any distance would almost certainly be the trip to Scotland. With all new fluid in, that could easily pop the seals in the box if not gently run in before a long journey at speed like a motorway or even fast A road.
You wouldn't have the chance to give it a week or two running about gently and then a part-change before you went to ensure the fluid was all clean and new and any dirt that had got in during storage was removed and meanwhile the seals had recovered with gentle use and new "Seal-Swell".

As such, a better idea to let the new owner fit the AW71, advise him to do a part-change of fluid after about a week or 3-400 miles at the most after doing it to ensure the fluid is all clean (as above) then a yearly part-change to keep it clean.

Another travel option would be to drive the RB up and then fly back from Glasgow, not sure what airport you'd land at locally or you could take your parachute with you and get the pilot to fly slowly over Corby and bale out and land in your garden.

More seriously i'm fairly sure you could get a train from a local airport cheaper than train all the way back from Scotland although BA have stopped all domestic flights for the time being.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 5th, 2022, 06:26   #3113
Othen
Premier Member

Dave, the favoured transport option would be to rent a car trailer here (£60/day or £100/2 days - think I'd need it for 2 days) + £100 worth of diesel for a 540 mile round trip. The RB is still running-in really, so that would be best I think.
:-)
Old Aug 5th, 2022, 06:27   #3114
360beast
Go redblock or go home

I did ask Alan if he wanted to buy the blue 760 turbo off of me but estates and turbos don't tickle his pickle it would seem, a saloon man like me? We are a very rare breed in the Volvo world!
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 5th, 2022, 06:52   #3115
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Dave, the favoured transport option would be to rent a car trailer here (£60/day or £100/2 days - think I'd need it for 2 days) + £100 worth of diesel for a 540 mile round trip. The RB is still running-in really, so that would be best I think.
I think you're right Alan, two days would be the sensible option for hiring a trailer. Pick it up one evening, load the RB on ready for an early start next morning then allow for at least 6 hours to get there and 6 back plus time for "comfort breaks" and return the trailer the next morning. Still within 48 hours rental period and i'm sure Bob would enjoy the journey there and back too.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Aug 5th, 2022, 08:44   #3116
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Could the Skoda handle it legally, weight wise?
Old Aug 5th, 2022, 08:54   #3117
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
Good point Andrew, the last car trailer i hired was 660kg and i forgot to take that into account when i added up the total train weight, put me at a bit over 3.5T all up! That said i was using a 4.0HO Jeep to tow with so it didn't even notice the 2.2T of trailer and car on it!

Had Mr Plod or similar weighed the trailer, car and Jeep, i'm fairly sure my ears would have been chewed!

Old Aug 5th, 2022, 09:37   #3118
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Good point Andrew, the last car trailer i hired was 660kg and i forgot to take that into account when i added up the total train weight, put me at a bit over 3.5T all up! That said i was using a 4.0HO Jeep to tow with so it didn't even notice the 2.2T of trailer and car on it!

Had Mr Plod or similar weighed the trailer, car and Jeep, i'm fairly sure my ears would have been chewed!
I was more concerned with the legal permitted weight for the car, not the gross train weight!

The car and trailer could easily be 1800kg ,my old D5’s MPW. I doubt the Skoda is as high!

Don’t like scaremongering but it has to be an element of the task in hand.
Old Aug 5th, 2022, 10:29   #3119
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I was more concerned with the legal permitted weight for the car, not the gross train weight!

The car and trailer could easily be 1800kg ,my old D5’s MPW. I doubt the Skoda is as high!

Don’t like scaremongering but it has to be an element of the task in hand.
I think we're both looking at similar things Andrew, just from a different perspective - both things need to be considered though!

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 5th, 2022, 10:52   #3120
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Yes indeed.