Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

SE Sport or Active?

Views : 2168

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 12th, 2012, 10:37   #1
Andym01207

Default SE Sport or Active?

Hi
Looking to replace my wifes Freelander with something a bit bigger and looking at Disco3's and XC90's.

During initial internet research I have spotted a few nice looking XC90s, many of which are Active models, but I have also seen a nice SE Sport which seems better spec'd but a little older.

Essentially a 2008 SE Sport 40k miles versus a 09/10 Active with 20k ish miles is what I am looking at.

I notice that there are a lot of Active spec cars around, and not too many SE Sport. The SE Sport looks to have better spec, heated leather etc..

Any thoughts on Active v SE Sport? What sort of spec is Active?

All suggestions appreciated.

Thanks
Andy

Last edited by Andym01207; Feb 12th, 2012 at 10:38. Reason: Spelling :o(
Andym01207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2012, 14:26   #2
JimG
Premier Member

Active is the entry level model, so basic spec.

www.alignmycar.co.uk
www.rearfacing.co.uk
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2012, 14:35   #3
Sportwag

If it is an Auto SE Sport (Geartronic), this will fall into the higher road tax bracket although it has already been mentioned on this forum that this is less than two tanks of fuel! The spec and aesthetics would push me towards the Sport though. Active has active bendy xenon lights as standard (option on the Sport).

In either case haggle hard!
Sportwag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2012, 15:00   #4
Andym01207

Thanks for the swift response.

Do you know off the top of your head the monetary difference in tax between the two?

Regarding your haggle hard comment.....are the values not strong on these at the moment?

The SE Sport I have seen is just under £21k, but I have seen someone on here in the sales looking best offer over £18k for a similar car which is what dealer/webuyanycar have offered. I would have been v interested if it was black leather not cream (2 week old baby!!!)

Cheers
Andy
Andym01207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2012, 15:12   #5
GerryS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andym01207 View Post
Thanks for the swift response.

The SE Sport I have seen is just under £21k, but I have seen someone on here in the sales looking best offer over £18k for a similar car which is what dealer/webuyanycar have offered. I would have been v interested if it was black leather not cream (2 week old baby!!!)

Cheers
Andy
Personally I wouldn't worry about the cream leather. I've got black leather in my XC90 but had cream leather in my previous SAAB (which I had for 10 years). The cream leather was no problem at all, even with young kids. The joy of leather is that it just needs a wipe with a damp cloth to get rid of footprints, etc. Mud shows fairly clearly on black leather (as much as cream).

Gerry
GerryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2012, 16:46   #6
gary austin

hi have you looked at the se lux it comes with all the toys and leather and if you go for a manual box the tax is only 260 year and i think the auto is 400 a year i have an se lux with leather,sunroof ,active steering headlights ,rear audio for the kids water repelant front glass and much more, i believe the active was a volvo recetion beater i think they were mid 20k in 2009/2010 check the speck go for high end se /se lux /sport cheers gary
gary austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2012, 19:24   #7
Sportwag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andym01207 View Post
Do you know off the top of your head the monetary difference in tax between the two?

Regarding your haggle hard comment.....are the values not strong on these at the moment?

Andy
The difference in road tax is £260 v's £445. In my experience the XC90 is a steady seller but there are plenty to choose from and after 9.5 years in production, I certainly wouldn't pay anything like the dealer's asking price! They are a seasonal car so values will start to fall again very shortly. I have child seats with the seat protectors underneath so colour isn't an issue although I do prefer the black leather with white strips. I would be inclined to go for the latest, lowest mileage car although condition is very important - as many are used as glorified school buses, there is some tat out there!
Sportwag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2012, 21:49   #8
JimG
Premier Member

I love my SE Lux.

www.alignmycar.co.uk
www.rearfacing.co.uk
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 11:34   #9
ChrisE
Volvo Owner Since 1990

Like when you buy new the "value" of the extra that you get by upping the trim level is totally subjective.

The thing that isn't subjective are the running cost differences. Road tax has been discussed but don't forget tyre choice & price. 17" to 19" makes a big difference.
ChrisE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 14:40   #10
Rawas
Master Member

Default JimG

Looks so good Jim, what color is the interior?
mine is exactly the same but 3.2 petrol.
Rawas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rawas For This Useful Post: