Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Hi, New Member 144 S

Views : 1026

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 5th, 2007, 01:30   #1
rich_volvo

Default Hi, New Member 144 S

Hi
I have just bought a 1970 Volvo 144 2.0 S manual. 1 Owner from new, needs some cosmetics but generally sound.

There is a lot of play in the steering. Is there a rebuild kit for the steering box available?

Also what is the little moveable needle below the speedo for?

Are there any mods/adjustments that I should do? The car drives well but I will give it a full service.
I'll upload some pics in the next few days

Richard
rich_volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 18:52   #2
JIM C
Forum Support Team

Welcome to the world of classic Volvo`s.
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 20:59   #3
Citizen.Agfa
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_volvo View Post
Hi

Also what is the little moveable needle below the speedo for?

Richard
That is a reminder, that you set yourself, about your upper speed limit; it can be set to anything; I see it as just a bit of a gimmick, really.

Regards, Nick H, owner of the 144.
Citizen.Agfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 21:55   #4
john h
VOC Member

Richard, hello and welcome to the forum and 140s!

Please post some pictures of your S when you can.

Before you assume a steering box rebuild is required, try adjusting the box (there is a adjusting screw, consult Haynes).

Adjust until there is zero play, then back it off slightly. There is meant to be a little play, and if you have none it will be very stiff on lock and accelerate wear in the box.

Pic of my 164E attached

Regards

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RSCN1090.JPG (358.7 KB, 10 views)
john h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 13:13   #5
Sam Barker

Cool Hooray, Another 144 appears

I tell everyone the needle is a clapometer.
I'd drive it about for a month before doing anything to get a feel for what has to be done, then what needs to be done, then what you's like to do!

Biggest differences on mine were the Simonz exhaust, the engine came to life after fitting that, and bushes, bushes, ball joints, steering bits. Basically the obvious bits that wear.
Oh, don't forget brakes, after redoing mine it went from being good to ace.

No point doing any of the above though if the engine is about to top itself, or the clutch is about to go.

Stiffer shocks, I've got KYBs on mine because I'm poor, grown ups and rich folk go for Koni or Bilsteins.

Enjoy it.

Sam
Sam Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 16:04   #6
Snowman
never knowingly slow

Welcome to the gathering!

What a great car. I'm always breaking mine but it's used pretty hard and usually copes really well.

If it's sound enough, as Sam says do the suspension. Mine's dropped by an inch or so on uprated springs and runs bilsteins with a limited slip diff. A very different ride from the original softly/softly car is started as.

Rust is an ever present threat epecially between the rear arches and watch the gearbox oil level, if the rear seal starts to weep, you'll kill it if not checked.

I went the Simons exhaust route but later on cut it as it went over the axle and now it now goes dead straight to the rear rather than the two 90 deg bends it had before. Seemed to make no difference to the performance but much neater now.
Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 00:57   #7
rich_volvo

Hi again
Thanks for the warm welcome, i've just come in from my first 'tinkering' with the car. I found a nice new K&N air filter from my 240Z, a pair of front spot lights and a nice 60's wooden gear nob. But most importantly i've adjusted the steering box as per John H's instructions. WOW!! It feels like a new car. Well made up.

I really fancy some 240 GLT alloys for it now as i'm sure they will make the car feel a little more stable.

Cheers guys (will post some pics soon)
rich_volvo is offline   Reply With Quote