Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New proud owner of a 940 Turbo Wagon

Views : 1186

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 29th, 2021, 21:38   #21
360beast
Go redblock or go home

That's a very tidy looking 940!

As others have said the LPT on runs 3.5psi so you probably won't even feel anything from it, it has the same power as the 2.3 non turbo but a bit extra torque.

Check the linkage from the wastegate actuator that goes to a pin on the back of the turbo (the wastegate) is actually connected as the R clip that holds them can fall out or get broken etc, quite a common problem which means the arm falls off so it makes no boost at all.

Finding a HPT actuator will be quite hard where as a £15 manual boost controller is readily available. To set the psi accurately you need a boost gauge, don't go for a cheap one as they aren't accurate at all.

They also have a T cam which means they run out of puff about 4500rpm and sap all the fun out of having a turbo petrol! I've fitted an IPD turbo cam and 531 head to mine and it happily revs to over 6k while still pulling hard and I'm sure if I let it then it would easily rev to 7k!

Seeing as it is a recently rebuilt engine I'd just give it a proper service, clean out the PCV system and if you want more power then fit a manual boost controller and if you want a wider power band then fit one of the following camshafts: A H K V VX3 VX or IPD turbo.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 29th, 2021, 21:44   #22
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
With an MBC ideally you'd want a boost guage too so you could make sure you weren't overboosting but an HPT actuator would be quicker and easier to install and look more original. There are pros and cons to both sides of the argument really, take advice from others as well and then decide.

The HPT is about 30bhp more than the LPT but uses the same ECU and everything as far as i'm aware so should be an easy bolt-on power gain.

Not sure how the Spanish insurers react to modified vehicles, with the HPT actuator it's visually the same as the LPT one so no need to tell them, with an MBC you'd be wise to tell them (in the UK at least) as it's visually obvious.
My problem here will be finding the right terms for the parts, since I'm not a native spanish speaker. Even if I was...
I know what you're saying regarding the gauge and the insurance. Are there aftermarket actuators? Or is second hand the onlu option? I need to start looking for online shops that sell parts here in europe.
SalvadorP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SalvadorP For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 29th, 2021, 21:55   #23
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

My knowledge of Spanish is very limited so i'm not able to help on that score. In terms of getting hold of parts, if you found someone willing to send parts to Spain from the UK that would make life easier.

Luke aka 360beast can probably advise you better than i can on an MBC and perhaps give you a few pointers.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2021, 22:19   #24
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
My knowledge of Spanish is very limited so i'm not able to help on that score. In terms of getting hold of parts, if you found someone willing to send parts to Spain from the UK that would make life easier.

Luke aka 360beast can probably advise you better than i can on an MBC and perhaps give you a few pointers.
I'm more inclined to explore the actuator option first. Any ideas on where can I read more about it?
Old Jul 29th, 2021, 22:42   #25
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalvadorP View Post
I'm more inclined to explore the actuator option first. Any ideas on where can I read more about it?
Had a quick look and can only find things on the MBC option. If you do a search for "Volvo 940 turbo wastegate actuator upgrade" you should find a few options. Maybe no more than i did, i noticed a couple were shall we say, probably not quite right for Volvos and aimed as a general tuning guide but trying to sound speciliaised so you need to read a few and work out the most likely good options.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2021, 23:24   #26
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Had a quick look and can only find things on the MBC option. If you do a search for "Volvo 940 turbo wastegate actuator upgrade" you should find a few options. Maybe no more than i did, i noticed a couple were shall we say, probably not quite right for Volvos and aimed as a general tuning guide but trying to sound speciliaised so you need to read a few and work out the most likely good options.
I've found a few and althought that's a real good option if you can find a ft actuator, it seems to be more accepted that a MBC would be a better option. I guess because it is cheaper and not contingent on finding a used part. Also because the actuator "only" raises it to 8-9psi.

EDIT: im stupid, the ft actuator is adjustable. I think the argument is that if you are going to adjust the pressure higher than 8-9psi, you will need a gauge, because the lpt doesn't have a pressure gauge. So if you are going to install a gauge anyways, you are better off with a MBC.

Last edited by SalvadorP; Jul 29th, 2021 at 23:28.
Old Jul 30th, 2021, 01:01   #27
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
That's a very tidy looking 940!

As others have said the LPT on runs 3.5psi so you probably won't even feel anything from it, it has the same power as the 2.3 non turbo but a bit extra torque.

Check the linkage from the wastegate actuator that goes to a pin on the back of the turbo (the wastegate) is actually connected as the R clip that holds them can fall out or get broken etc, quite a common problem which means the arm falls off so it makes no boost at all.

Finding a HPT actuator will be quite hard where as a £15 manual boost controller is readily available. To set the psi accurately you need a boost gauge, don't go for a cheap one as they aren't accurate at all.

They also have a T cam which means they run out of puff about 4500rpm and sap all the fun out of having a turbo petrol! I've fitted an IPD turbo cam and 531 head to mine and it happily revs to over 6k while still pulling hard and I'm sure if I let it then it would easily rev to 7k!

Seeing as it is a recently rebuilt engine I'd just give it a proper service, clean out the PCV system and if you want more power then fit a manual boost controller and if you want a wider power band then fit one of the following camshafts: A H K V VX3 VX or IPD turbo.
Thank you so much for the tips.
Let me ask you a question that might be stupid. I swear I looked on and out of the forum. But I'm having trouble finding shops where to buy parts. I know the USA forum has a list of them but most are in the USA or out of business. Is there such a list on this forum too? I can't, for the life of me, find it. I can find some shops on Google, but I'm sure there must be a thread discussing this. I just can't find it.
For example, where should I look for a good quality gauge or MBC?
Old Jul 30th, 2021, 01:04   #28
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Looking through your pics i don't see a boost guage so i'm guessing that Spain is the same as here - no boost guage means B230FK aka LPT so it won't be a ball of fire.

If you get the engine warm then accelerate from a standing start in 1st gear and as soon as you can, floor the throttle, you should feel an extra push as the turbo comes in. Alternatively accelerate gently to about 15-20mph (20-30kmh) in 1st then change into 2nd and then floor it - as it builds up boost you should feel the increased push coming in.
Usually if a turbo is working as it should, there isn't any noise, perhaps a slight whine/whistle at higher revs when working hard but other than that, you shouldn't really hear anything.

I have heard of the linkage between the wastegate actuator and the wastegate disconnecting resulting in no boost, might be worth having a look between the actuator (the diaphragm thing on the turbo) to make sure the linkage is connected to the wastegate, can't remember if it's a circlip or E-clip (like a circlip but without the lugs for the circlip pliers) but if it has been lost (which is the usual cause of the linkage disconnecting) you can put the linkage back together then wind a piece of single strand wire into the groove and twist the ends together to stop it falling off as a test. If all is good, find the right size E-clip/circlip to do the job properly.
Thx. I'll try that tomorrow. I think i do feel the boost a little bit, but not sure. Need to go to a more secluded road to make a proper test as i only drove it inside Barcelona so far.
Old Jul 30th, 2021, 01:06   #29
SalvadorP
Master Member

Guys, is there a list of online shops in Europe on the forum? Or maybe a thread discussing this. I searched but couldn't find any. Don't know which shops are good/cheap and which are not. Can't find many either.
Old Jul 30th, 2021, 13:11   #30
TonyS9
Premier Member

It will be difficult to buy an original HPT actuator, but an aftermarket adjustable one with various spring options would be a good buy. You don't want to use an MBC on a the LPT actuator anyway, it will be unstable.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192617850134

An actuator with 7psi setting will be plenty to start with (HPT level), it will really shift. 12psi will be a rocket in comparison.

As for turbo noises and acceleration, even the HPT is hardly noticeable, boost is available instantly above 2000rpm. The air filter does a good job of keeping it quiet. Its only if you go for more than HPT boost that you notice time to build pressure turbo lag. If you want more noise or to check it, remove the air filter and prop the box open, or fit a cone filter. I use this in my 360 with B230FT and the turbo is very noisey.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote