Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Brake Discs

Views : 1919

Replies : 35

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 20th, 2021, 20:32   #1
rsymes2k

Default Brake Discs

Hi everyone,

Appear to have some extreme warp on my front discs on my 2004 xc90 d5

Any recommendations on discs? Seen a pair of Mintex on eBay for £80 which looks a deal compared to £150 for genuine ?

Thanks
Rob
rsymes2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2021, 21:24   #2
TruckbusUK
Petrolhead+Lots of Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsymes2k View Post
Hi everyone,

Appear to have some extreme warp on my front discs on my 2004 xc90 d5

Any recommendations on discs? Seen a pair of Mintex on eBay for £80 which looks a deal compared to £150 for genuine ?

Thanks
Rob
TBH buy genuine Volvo disks, they don't get much better IMO ... plenty of deals from genuine Volvo dealers on eBay, or just visit and ask for a discount, most will oblige.
TruckbusUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2021, 22:59   #3
owenfackrell
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckbusUK View Post
TBH buy genuine Volvo disks, they don't get much better IMO ... plenty of deals from genuine Volvo dealers on eBay, or just visit and ask for a discount, most will oblige.
Having been down the route of cheaper than genuine ones before the longer lasting and the fact that no of the genuine ones have warped.
I’m on my third XC90 and with the second it needed new discs when we bought it and the dealer fitted non genuine, they showed signs of warping and had a very noticeable lip by 25k miles at that point I swapped them for genuine and they went on till we sold the car covering at least 50k miles. I have also just replaced the ones on our current XC90 with genuine ones and I got them via a dealer on eBay with pads for a dry good price of £175 all in.
owenfackrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2021, 00:19   #4
Harley Dave
Volvo Driver

+1 for genuine from an eBay listing from a pukka Volvo dealer. (Caffyns Eastbourne)

They had a special deal on at the time and I bought front discs and pads, (£167.40 + £11.50 p & p) and, while I was at it, rear discs, pads and shoes and adjusters (£198.32 + £9.99 p & p)

Fronts were changed at the time (2 years ago) rears are still OK but, when needed, I'm ready.

Cheers

Dave
Harley Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2021, 00:20   #5
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Volvo still cast their own discs for the XC90, if you buy genuine you will notice they are made in Sweden. There are so many poor quality pattern parts around made from melted down washing machines and Fiat Panda's (including Mintex of which I have personal experience). Genuine discs are the only way you know they will be okay. Your XC90 weighs 2.3 tons and is very hard on brakes.

Every couple of months we get new members on here with brake problems which are eventually cured by fitting new, genuine parts.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 21st, 2021, 11:15   #6
Kev0607
Premier Member

As others have said, I agree to sticking with genuine.

I fitted Pagid to my car, as I’ve used them in the past on other vehicles. They’re warped already… wish I spent the extra & went genuine the first time around. Lesson learned.
Old Jul 23rd, 2021, 18:41   #7
Lucien
VOC Member

+1 for genuine. The non-Volvo ones just warp. You'll have to take them off again, like I did.

Regards
Lucien
Lucien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2021, 11:27   #8
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
As others have said, I agree to sticking with genuine.

I fitted Pagid to my car, as I’ve used them in the past on other vehicles. They’re warped already… wish I spent the extra & went genuine the first time around. Lesson learned.
Funnily enough, I mentioned that my front discs had warped to my local independent. He asked what brand I used & I said Pagid… His response was they were junk & just aren’t up to the job. Its a heavy car, use the proper discs (genuine) that were designed to be used on the car & they won’t warp like the aftermarket ones do in a short period of time.
Old Jul 25th, 2021, 00:38   #9
Simmy
Premier Member

alfred teves ATE a branch of continental group make the discs . volvo.do not make brake components they are all bought in even at the factory where cars are assembled
Simmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2021, 01:58   #10
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
alfred teves ATE a branch of continental group make the discs . volvo.do not make brake components they are all bought in even at the factory where cars are assembled
Volvo do have a foundry in Sweden and in the past month I’ve unpacked and fitted Volvo discs to XC60 and XC90 labelled made in Sweden and Skovde... Continental do not have a brake manufacturing plant in Sweden.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote