Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Improve the ride of 11 year old XC90??

Views : 1373

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 5th, 2021, 18:39   #1
TWPC

Default Improve the ride of 11 year old XC90??

Dear all,

I love my 2010 XC90 but would like to know if there is any way to fundamentally improve the ride. I've had a quick review of the forum and the main advice seems to be:
1. lower your tyre pressures from the eco settings
2. fit the smallest wheels you can
Our car's on 18" wheels and I reckon the improvement by moving to 17" will be marginal. The tyres are now on 32psi.

The car has only done just over 61,000 miles, we have owned it since new and it has been regularly serviced. We live in London but use the car mainly for long journeys (we have a Hyundai i10 for short journeys). Looking under the car, there is nothing visibly wrong with the suspension but none of the components have been replaced since we bought it. Is there likely to be any point in replacing shocks or suspension arms?

Alternatively has anyone come across any company that offers a product or service that significantly improves the ride of the Mk 1 XC90?

I just want to be sure I'm not missing something!

Last edited by TWPC; Jul 5th, 2021 at 18:41. Reason: Addition
TWPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2021, 18:46   #2
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWPC View Post
Dear all,

I love my 2010 XC90 but would like to know if there is any way to fundamentally improve the ride. I've had a quick review of the forum and the main advice seems to be:
1. lower your tyre pressures from the eco settings
2. fit the smallest wheels you can
Our car's on 18" wheels and I reckon the improvement by moving to 17" will be marginal. The tyres are now on 32psi.

The car has only done just over 61,000 miles, we have owned it since new and it has been regularly serviced. We live in London but use the car mainly for long journeys (we have a Hyundai i10 for short journeys). Looking under the car, there is nothing visibly wrong with the suspension but none of the components have been replaced since we bought it. Is there likely to be any point in replacing shocks or suspension arms?

Alternatively has anyone come across any company that offers a product or service that significantly improves the ride of the Mk 1 XC90?

I just want to be sure I'm not missing something!
The only thing I would add is to check the lid index on the tyres is appropriate. I chose higher lid rated tyres for mine and notice that it is much stiffer. I am happy with that but you may not be.

As standard it should ride very very well on 17s so something may be wrong?
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2021, 19:21   #3
Kev0607
Premier Member

The difference between 17’s & 18’s will be more than ‘marginal’. I had 18’s on my S80, changed to 17’s & it transformed the car in my opinion. Tyres can also make a massive difference, so inspect your existing ones for any bulges etc.

When you say you’ve had a visual check, have you actually checked suspension components for play or just had a quick glance?

I wouldn’t expect much to be wrong with it really, as the mileage is low for an 11 year old car & its not as if those miles were done on roads full of potholes (I assume, as you said the Volvo is used for longer journeys). That’s not to say parts aren’t ‘tired’ though.

Are there any knocking noises at present? I wouldn’t be replacing shock absorbers for the sake of it, as if they’re worn, you’ll know because the car will be riding much harsher. Check the shocks for any leaks (they need replacing if leaking).

Last edited by Kev0607; Jul 5th, 2021 at 19:24.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2021, 19:23   #4
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
The difference between 17’s & 18’s will be more than ‘marginal’. I had 18’s on my S80, changed to 17’s & it transformed the car in my opinion. Tyres can also make a massive difference, so inspect your existing ones for any bulges etc.

When you say you’ve had a visual check, have you actually checked suspension components for play or just had a quick glance?

I wouldn’t expect much to be wrong with it really, as the mileage is low for an 11 year old car & its not as if those miles were done on roads full of potholes (I assume, as you said the Volvo is used for longer journeys). That’s not to say parts aren’t ‘tired’ though.

Are there any knocking noises at present?
Ahh.. 18 to 17 May make a difference on an s80 but don’t forget this in an XC90 so he will be running 235/60. They are already massively compliant.
Old Jul 6th, 2021, 12:39   #5
owenfackrell
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
Ahh.. 18 to 17 May make a difference on an s80 but don’t forget this in an XC90 so he will be running 235/60. They are already massively compliant.
That and the 17 tyre size is 235/65.

If your after a wafty type ride and lowering the pressure has made quite a bit of difference then I would look at the tyres themselves as sporty ones have stiffer sidewalls and some in the Volvo size are rated XL for extra load.

Last edited by owenfackrell; Jul 6th, 2021 at 12:42.
owenfackrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2021, 13:11   #6
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

I don't expect a big difference from going from 18's to 17's, assuming both at 235mm footprint that's just a 7% increase in profile. If you were changing from 20" rims or even 19's it would be much more noticeable - forum member Moose Test has done just that and was happy with the result I think. Most people who fit the 17" Neptune wheels do so as there is a greater choice and better value selection of winter, all season and off road biased tyres available.

Is you car R-Design spec? If so then I'd sell it and get an SE LUX.... (if ride is very important to you).
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Jul 6th, 2021 at 13:15.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 6th, 2021, 18:24   #7
AB-UK
Premier Member

Mine's the same age, with 10% more miles, and I have just had a broken spring replaced.
So check your springs too.
Mind you, I have driven over a fair number of potholes around chez nous!
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AB-UK For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 9th, 2021, 14:49   #8
TWPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post

Are there any knocking noises at present? I wouldn’t be replacing shock absorbers for the sake of it, as if they’re worn, you’ll know because the car will be riding much harsher. Check the shocks for any leaks (they need replacing if leaking).
Thank you for your response Kev.
To be honest I have only had a quick glance under the car so I should probably make a more careful inspection or get the garage to do it when it next goes in for a service.
There are no knocks audible but I will have a look and see if the shocks are leaking.
The Following User Says Thank You to TWPC For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 9th, 2021, 14:54   #9
TWPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
Thanks for your replies. The tyres are XL-rated Pirelli Scorpions with plenty of life left.

I don't think I'll switch to 17s. I - or my increasingly opinionated teenage children who are still confined to the rear seat when the wife and I are in the front - may be over-exaggerating the ride issue...
Old Jul 9th, 2021, 15:06   #10
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWPC View Post
Thanks for your replies. The tyres are XL-rated Pirelli Scorpions with plenty of life left.

I don't think I'll switch to 17s. I - or my increasingly opinionated teenage children who are still confined to the rear seat when the wife and I are in the front - may be over-exaggerating the ride issue...
So XL is extra load and has reinforced tyre walls. That’s probably your starting point and probably more contributing than rim size.