Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 Celebration temp gauge

Views : 1400

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 30th, 2021, 19:55   #1
940volvoman
Master Member

Default 940 Celebration temp gauge

Hi,

As stated above,the temperature gauge on my 940 Celebration,has packed up.

Where should I start looking,at the sender,perhaps?I don't know where it is though,and whether it can be tested.

No doubt I'm not the first to have this problem,so I'm hoping for some guidance.

TIA.
940volvoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2021, 21:06   #2
360beast
Go redblock or go home

The sender is under the inlet manifold threaded in to the cylinder head. It is under port #2 of the inlet manifold and has a D shape plug, you can test it with a multimeter on the ohm/resistance setting, put one probe on a sensor pin and one on the alternator body and see what the resistance value is, do the same for the other pin and let us know the values.

I'm sure unused the alternator body last time as the earth but you may need to use the block or somewhere else.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2021, 21:49   #3
Forrest
VOC Member

If you unplug the cable from the sender and short the two wires together in the plug the gauge should shoot to maximum when you turn the ignition to position 2. A kinder way to test it is to use a suitable resistor to mimic a correctly functioning sender. Either way, this should prove or disprove the wiring and instrument.

If the above points towards the sender it might be worth checking the thermostat before you try replacing the sender. The sender is difficult to get out and if it is tight you have to break off the electrical connection in order to get a socket over it. If the thermostat has failed open it can prevent the coolant reaching normal temperature and hence the gauge could in fact still be working.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2021, 22:17   #4
940volvoman
Master Member

Thanks,so far.What I have noticed is that when I turn the key to start the key,the gauge 'twitches',but thats it.

Anyway,I'll try what's been suggested and report back.
Old Jul 1st, 2021, 06:49   #5
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940volvoman View Post
Thanks,so far.What I have noticed is that when I turn the key to start the key,the gauge 'twitches',but thats it.

Anyway,I'll try what's been suggested and report back.
That suggests the PCB on the back of the instrument cluster. Try the tests as described above and see what you've got first though.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2021, 22:53   #6
940volvoman
Master Member

There are two senders,side by side.I expect the temp gauge sender is the one nearest the firewall,not the one at the front of the engine.
Can someone confirm this?

Thanks
Old Jul 1st, 2021, 23:08   #7
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
There are two senders,side by side.I expect the temp gauge sender is the one nearest the firewall,not the one at the front of the engine.
Can someone confirm this?

Thanks
No, because it's not! Look :

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
The sender is under the inlet manifold threaded in to the cylinder head. It is under port #2 of the inlet manifold and has a D shape plug,

The fuel ECU uses the one under #3 inlet tract and is closer to the bulkhead. Use a 100 Ohm resistor to protect the guage, push it into the connector with one wire per pin and switch the ignition on. The temp guage snsor is a 2-wire animal with neither connected to earth, unlike the CTS (Coolant Temperature Sensor) which is also a 2-wire animal but both sensors internally are linked to earth via the body of the sensor. The CTS has a connector similar to the fuel injectors so you should be able to differentiate between the two fairly easily.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Jul 1st, 2021, 23:22   #8
940volvoman
Master Member

Thanks,Dave.
I just had another look,and you are,of course right.It is the front D shaped connector.
The problem I will have for testing is the lack of the 100ohm resistor.(or any resistor for that matter.

I'll order one in go from there..

Thanks again....
The Following User Says Thank You to 940volvoman For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 1st, 2021, 23:33   #9
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks,Dave.
I just had another look,and you are,of course right.It is the front D shaped connector.
The problem I will have for testing is the lack of the 100ohm resistor.(or any resistor for that matter.

I'll order one in go from there..

Thanks again....
You could use a paper clip or similar short length of wire and flick the ignition on and as soon as you see the guage move or not, switch off again but you'd need to be quick.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 5th, 2021, 23:49   #10
940volvoman
Master Member

Since posting my temp gauge problem I haven't had time to follow up.
However it doesn't mean I haven't been thinking about it. I've come up with an idea which may help trace the fault(to the gauge, at least. I have a 12 volt adjustable transformer, which I thought would gradually increase the voltage to the gauge,with the view to protecting the gauge and any other sensitive electronics on the dash.
What do you think?
The Following User Says Thank You to 940volvoman For This Useful Post: