Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2008 XC70 D5 SE Lux.

Views : 9558

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 11th, 2021, 23:58   #11
BigGreenThing

Default Is the car still available?

Hi there,

Just enquiring if the car is still available?

Thanks

J
BigGreenThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2021, 01:49   #12
XCR
Master Member

Yes it is.
Its yet to be advertised anywhere and I've just been enjoying it.
I'll drop you a PM.
Thanks.
Old Jul 14th, 2021, 00:44   #13
XCR
Master Member

PM sent with phone number but as I've not heard back, just for the thread, the car is still for sale.
Old Jul 17th, 2021, 22:19   #14
Mattyw1991

Going to say I've seen this car about and realised a lot of the pictures are in Redcar (where I live) small world.

On the hunt for a car after my v70 being written off on Thursday. Sadly I'm wanting something a little less thirsty as my D5 seemed stupid!

Looks stunning for the miles mind! GLWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR View Post
PM sent with phone number but as I've not heard back, just for the thread, the car is still for sale.
Mattyw1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2021, 22:43   #15
XCR
Master Member

Cheers bud, if I hear of any offered locally I'll drop you a line.
Have you any thoughts on what you're looking for if not a D5 ?
Old Jul 17th, 2021, 22:52   #16
Mattyw1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR View Post
Cheers bud, if I hear of any offered locally I'll drop you a line.
Have you any thoughts on what you're looking for if not a D5 ?

That would be great!

possibly V50, V70 P80, V70 P2 - Diesel and anything less than the 2.4 D5 unless the P80 then obviously 2.5

Thanks!
Old Jul 18th, 2021, 08:23   #17
yostumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyw1991 View Post

On the hunt for a car after my v70 being written off on Thursday. Sadly I'm wanting something a little less thirsty as my D5 seemed stupid!
What mileage were you getting that was so bad.? Trip on mine is currently on 46 mpg, on 1/2 tank, and depending how much I put in after the first click on fill up, it will be around 43.5 - 45.0 mpg real world. For a large car, that’s pretty good, but if you like to have ‘fun’ then it will suffer.
Old Jul 23rd, 2021, 21:17   #18
Mattyw1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by yostumpy View Post
What mileage were you getting that was so bad.? Trip on mine is currently on 46 mpg, on 1/2 tank, and depending how much I put in after the first click on fill up, it will be around 43.5 - 45.0 mpg real world. For a large car, that’s pretty good, but if you like to have ‘fun’ then it will suffer.
Mine needed swirl flaps doing I think so suspect that may have been making it low but I would never get over 34 even when driving sensible for a full tank
Old Jul 23rd, 2021, 22:24   #19
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Here is another bump! I wanted to ask how you keep it so clean? My D5 has 110,000 in the clock and I keep it very well. But the engine bay for example is not like yours. How do you clean all the engine up, what products?

It really is a superb looking car so good luck with the sale!
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2021, 01:51   #20
XCR
Master Member

Thats good of you to say, thanks.
With engine bay cleaning its important of course to avoid the alternator and air intake with strong jets of water but really theres nothing to it.
I warm the engine but not excessively hot.
Then I remove any leaves, dust or loose debris using a vacuum cleaner, air line or leaf blower with the tube cut right down and flared .
I like to remove the engine cover too and clean it separately.
Wrap any exposed cabling with cling film if necessary.
I then start with the least aggressive cleaner and mentally split the engine bay into quarters, working on each, spraying and agitating with a small stiff brush.
I use Meguiars APC but a good strong (1:10) soap solution will be fine (nick the Fairy Liquid).
Pay particular attention to all nooks, crannies and seals and be prepared to reach down deep into the bay (a brush taped to a rod/wooden spoon is a good idea)
When you've done a quarter of the engine bay give it a gentle hose off and repeat with the rest of the engine, foaming and rinsing as you go.
Once done you want a good degreaser (Meguiars) from a spray bottle. Some others will dry your rubbers and make them white so spray, agitate the oily bits and rinse away as you go. Clean your manky brush.
*If you come across any heavy oil leaks, note their position and check for future seepage, they're a lot easier to spot once everything is clean.
Once thats done, neutralise any degreaser that may be present with a decent overall spray with APC, soapy water, car shampoo solution etc.....
Agitate any bits you missed and rinse thoroughly.
Run your engine for 5 minutes and turn it off (remembering to remove any protective cling film etc) then close the bonnet and make a brew. Once supped, lift the bonnet and get to work drying any remaining water with paper towels or old microfibres...
Once fully dry its time to dress the surfaces, restoring the colour to black parts and revitalising anything made of rubber. Work steadily using something like Aerospace 303 Protectant, spray on, work in with a brush, wipe away excess with a cotton cloth or ripped up T-Shirt.

To fully do justice to your engine bay you really need to do the under bonnet area too. Its a bit messy as its above your head but the procedure is the same and should be done before the engine bay itself. Avoid soaking the insulation if you can, instead use a good hand brush and vacuum. Its a good idea to drape towels or an old blanket over the engine bay while you clean and rinse the under bonnet.

At this stage you've probably got filthy spray all over your screen and down the wings, so do the decent thing and give the entire car a good wash and dry.
Avoid tackling the engine bay immediately AFTER cleaning the entire car.....how do I know this ?

The Aerospace 303 Protectant is probably the best all round product you can buy. Door seals, pedal rubbers, interior and exterior trim including grilles and window trim. It leaves a natural new car finish which is neither shiny or greasy and lasts a fair while too.

On the XC theres a fair bit of black trim.....
The Following User Says Thank You to XCR For This Useful Post: