Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 300/66 Series General

Notices

300/66 Series General Forum for the Volvo 340, 360 and 66 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

340 1.4 rough ans slow idling

Views : 53470

Replies : 219

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 14th, 2021, 11:40   #181
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two340'sman View Post
I think I mentioned that I got 55 MPG on a long run in the 1.7. I really thought that the petrol gauge had got stuck! The drivers handbook shows that the 1.7 is more economical than the 1.4 on a long run.

I do have the tyre pressures slightly higher than standard, but not quite as high as 36 PSI.

Suppose that I have owned 340's for around 20 years, needed virtually no spares, brake pads seem almost everlasting.

The sills have had an extra injection of wax by me.

When I said heavy body, I was comparing with my Classic Mini that has an engine not that much smaller than a 1.4, it's a bored out 1275.

I was expecting the car to be bad in snow, having been used to Minis, 1100's and Metros, however as you say the 50:50 weight distribution makes the 340 quite good.

My mechanic working on the 1.7 340 about 10 years ago

DSCF7249 by A60man, on Flickr

From the handbook

340 Fuel consumption by A60man, on Flickr
yes the 1.7 was a much more modern engine design and certainly more economical than the B14 and went very well (105 mph) despite only 8 bhp more than the B14 . It was a detuned Renault unit ...

you mentioned brake pads , when I said my two had never needed parts brake pads were changed of course BUT both have their original rear shoes and cylinders ..and the 1988 still has Its original Volvo coolant .
Old Jul 14th, 2021, 11:57   #182
Two340'sman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
yes the 1.7 was a much more modern engine design and certainly more economical than the B14 and went very well (105 mph) despite only 8 bhp more than the B14 . It was a detuned Renault unit ...

you mentioned brake pads , when I said my two had never needed parts brake pads were changed of course BUT both have their original rear shoes and cylinders ..and the 1988 still has Its original Volvo coolant .
I still prefer the 1.4 engine, no timing belt to worry about. I had a bit of noise in my 1.7 engine, ignored it as my very elderly Mum was taken very ill and not being treated well in hospital. Of course it was the cam belt, which broke, bending valves in the head. I got a second hand head quite cheaply, fitted it and all way OK. Found out there are two different cam belts for the 1.7, different number of teeth, which one depends upon year.
Two340'sman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Two340'sman For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 14th, 2021, 12:07   #183
Two340'sman

Monster Tiddles checking out the rear view from a 340

DSCF8259 (2) by A60man, on Flickr
Old Jul 14th, 2021, 12:08   #184
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Well, at one stage I had a 2.0 Capri Laser as a company car, useless in the snow, on that day I drove it a few yards and had to change to the Mini which was much better.

And, I remember sitting behind a Police Rover 3500 that could not get up a hill in the snow, slowly drove past him in the Mini. They did not look pleased!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
ohh indeed , I was never a fan of FWD much prefer rear engine rear wheel drive .. however the 850 handled FWD pretty well . The first FWD from volvo was the 480 in 1986 long long before ford came in 1999 . with the 850 coming and going in between too!
I forgot to mention that 70s Fords were tail-happy, was it the SD1 or P6 Rover 3500 that struggled getting up the hill?

Neither should have struggled though so i suspect it may have been down to driving technique more than the car - i've had several SD1 V8s that were fine in ice and snow, except for one moment one cold morning after fixing the PAS on my first V8 when i accidentally turned the steering wheel too hard for the bend i was approaching!

Went backwards into the field on the bend that was accessed from the direction i was traveling.

Oops!

The 480 was basically a rebodied Renault chassis so i don't agree it was a Volvo. I don't remember when the 850 was launched but fairly sure Ford had at least some (if not all) of their fingers in the pie by then. All of their fingers in the pie came in 1999 when they bought the remaining shares, if memory serves from about 1995/6 they had a 51% stake in Volvo that they had been slowly building over time.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 14th, 2021, 12:11   #185
Two340'sman

Was a Police SD1
Old Jul 14th, 2021, 12:12   #186
Two340'sman

Tiddles checking out my building of BBC LS3/6 clones.

DSCF9577 (2) by A60man, on Flickr
Old Jul 14th, 2021, 12:18   #187
Two340'sman

Tiddles looking up the best car insurance for me on Confused.com

Tiddles helping----.jpg by A60man, on Flickr
Old Jul 14th, 2021, 12:28   #188
Two340'sman

Over 10 years ago I broke up a 1.7 GLE (oh bad me). Tiddles was annoyed that she could not sit in, or on it any more.

Volvo cat by A60man, on Flickr

Although she was happy that it was replaced with a better 1.7 GLE.
Old Jul 14th, 2021, 13:02   #189
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Was a Police SD1
That might explain it - the clutches in manual SD1 V8s were extroarindarily heavy and to quote a Police driver from ~30 years ago, "It makes smooth driving very difficult". Doesn't take much to upset the balance in icy conditions!
By contrast, the clutch in the P6 V8 was much lighter so easier to drive smoothly - also the P6 had IRS very similar to the XJ Series cars of the time with inboard discs.

Quote:
Over 10 years ago I broke up a 1.7 GLE (oh bad me). Tiddles was annoyed that she could not sit in, or on it any more.

Volvo cat by A60man, on Flickr

Although she was happy that it was replaced with a better 1.7 GLE.
That look on her face says to me "Brilliant idea - why didn't you do this before so i could sit on the seats in the warm?"

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 14th, 2021, 15:06   #190
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
I still prefer the 1.4 engine, no timing belt to worry about. I had a bit of noise in my 1.7 engine, ignored it as my very elderly Mum was taken very ill and not being treated well in hospital. Of course it was the cam belt, which broke, bending valves in the head. I got a second hand head quite cheaply, fitted it and all way OK. Found out there are two different cam belts for the 1.7, different number of teeth, which one depends upon year.
yes i remember that, easy to change though ...

cats like the smell of the 300 ( 1983 360 GLT )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bumble 2.jpg (291.3 KB, 2 views)