Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Wants

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 instrument cluster wanted

Views : 2360

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 23rd, 2021, 18:15   #11
siadow

Default AT last!

Hi.
I finally tracked a cluster down on eBay. It as from diesel car. Cost arm and leg but I’ve been able to swap out speedo and fuel gauge, I broke off tiny black stop arm on fuel gauge while trying to get my speedo to work over many attempts in last 6 months!
At last now I have working speedo and some spares!
siadow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to siadow For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 1st, 2021, 20:34   #12
Volvo3000

It's best if you can to get the cluster repaired or replaced. Many years ago I went to the expense of buying a GPS one then found out that GPS ones wouldn't be recognised as a valid speedometer by the MOT. I don't know if the rules have changed now though.
Volvo3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Volvo3000 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 19th, 2021, 11:23   #13
volvulus

Default speedo

Hi, I'm still looking.

My 940 passed it's MOT yesterday without a working speedo.

The tester said they wouldn't check it unless they did a brake test on the road.

Instrument cluster still wanted, 91/92 yazaki type.

I bought new ignition leads ( bosch) made a big improvement on running.

Dunno what thats got to do with my speedo but thought I'd share that.

ken.
volvulus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volvulus For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 19th, 2021, 12:21   #14
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Congrats on the MoT pass, as the tester said, unless they take it on the road they have no way of telling the speedo is working or not so isn't tested. Seeing the same mileage recorded for more than one year running on the MoT history is a giveaway though.

As for the Bosch leads, they'll work well for quite a while, when they do start to fail take the time to find a set of Bougicord leads. They do make a huge difference and will keep going long after the Bosch leads fail miserably. Yes, they'll cost you more but are cheaper in the long run.

I had to replace the leads on mine about 3 years back as the original Bougicord leads had failed after 30 years continuous service. Given the exact nature of the failure i think it was more external intervention (not on my part) that caused the failure as when i pulled the broken lead out of the plug boot, i found ancient plier jaw marks on the broken part with enough accompanying dirt to suggest it was done several years before.

The only leads i could find for mine at the time were in fact Bosch leads in the USA but they came with the RPM Sensor on #1 lead (unlike the UK offerings in the most part) and even with S&H (USA version of P&P), exchange commision, Import Duty/VAT etc they worked out less than half the price of the same product (without RPM Sensor) in the UK.

Still looking for Bougicord leads for mine but don't seem to be around these days. They're still made for the red blocks so keep your eyes peeled for a set.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 20th, 2021, 12:08   #15
volvulus

Default 940 speedo

Thank you Laird scooby,

i was disappointed on your assessment of Bosch leads, though not surprised. Their white goods and kitchen goods are not reliable either in my experience.

I have been emailing back and forth to "autotronics" who repair clusters, they were flagged up to me in an earlier post. Has anyone had any dealings with them?

I tried a company previously who said these '91/92 Yazaki clusters are not repairable..."can't get the components" I believe they said.

Autotronics say buy the service on line (£54 I think) send the cluster and they will give me a quote if it's repairable. I asked if it's a no fix no fee and they replied; "just the return cost plus £11 admin" What happens to the £54 I would pay online they don't mention.

I'm talking to an admin mouse clicking woman; I can't get through to one of the technicians so, if anybody has had a '91 '92 yazaki speedo repaired I would very much appreciate your experience.

I tried the replacing the caps and r12 resistor as per the link on the club site without success.

Regards ken.
Old Aug 20th, 2021, 12:34   #16
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Example of the Bosch leads - recently my radiator sprang a leak which i've temporarily resolved with Radweld. Because of this, the coolant level had frequently dropped causing the CTS (Coolant Temperature Sensor) to measure hot air instead of hot coolant and as such, give erroneous results to the fuel ECU resulting in generally poor running and economy.

After adding the Radweld, things improved until yesterday when it was down to 4 cylinders, general lack of power, occasionally coming back to 5 or 6 cylinders but watched the fuel guage drop while only on 4 cylinders!

Fearing that the leak had resulted in one or both head gaskets failing, i did my shopping and then on a hunch decided to check the plug leads for security before heading home. Leads #3 and #6 were both loose on the plugs!

Pushed them back down and it fired on all 6 immediately and stayed on all 6 more importantly. On mine, it's a 90 degree V6 and the plugs are on the inboard side of the heads at 45 degrees to the head so are in fact, vertical. Makes me wonder how the plug leads came loose in the first place!

However they did and caused me considerable mental anguish yesterday. Also explained the recent rough running that i had put down to the CTS not getting the hot coolant to tell the ECU the engine was in fact hot.

Overall i've put it down to poor quality clips on the end of the HT leads that are meant to grip the nipple on the end of the plug. Like many Bosch products, nowhere near as good as they used to be!

As for Autotronics, i've not used them and don't know anybody that has. However i do know someone that used these people for an ECU repair and they also do speedos etc :

https://www.atpelectronics.co.uk/

However, it's only fair to advise you that due to the capcitors leaking on 91/92 Yazaki speedos, often this will incapacitate the IC near one of the bigger caps that leaks (can't recall the IC # just now) and that IC is a custom one. Without the original spec and/or function of that IC to refer to, repair is nigh on impossible. Annoyingly while Volvo/Yazaki corrected this problem they also changed the wiring so you can't even retrofit a later cluster.

A brief rundown on the costs with ATP, from what i remember and my memory is a bit foggy on them so are for guidance only - may serve to clarify autotronics pricing structure which i suspect will be similar.

Test/diagnose/report ~£40 + VAT - cluster returned or repaired after.
Repair ~£300 guaranteed for life on the ECU, not sure on speedos/clusters The test fee is discounted from the repair fee if the repair is carried out.

As i say, my memory is a bit foggy on the exact prices and structure but it gives you an idea.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Aug 21st, 2021, 12:32   #17
volvulus

Default speedo 940

Many thanks Laird scooby, that is constent with my thoughts on repair companies.

There is a 50 quid charge for diagnosis and the final bill would be in the £300 region. Labour must be £70 per hour.

I'll keep looking for a second hand one. Lakes don't have any and he is trying to wind down due to poor health and old age.

Ken
Old Aug 21st, 2021, 14:00   #18
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvulus View Post
Many thanks Laird scooby, that is constent with my thoughts on repair companies.

There is a 50 quid charge for diagnosis and the final bill would be in the £300 region. Labour must be £70 per hour.

I'll keep looking for a second hand one. Lakes don't have any and he is trying to wind down due to poor health and old age.

Ken
No idea on their labour charges but i would say you're probably in the ball-park. Have you tried ebay? Also there is a seller on ebay.com (the USA version) that has many secondhand but tested and/or repaired clusters for various age 940s etc. Only thing is i think they're ~£200 plus S&H (or P&P in English) but i don't know what Lakes charge so may not be that much different.

Old Sep 3rd, 2021, 03:11   #19
P505DEF
Master Member

Can still get the original leads from volvo, the king lead is separate though
P505DEF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to P505DEF For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 30th, 2021, 11:52   #20
volvulus

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvulus View Post
Hi, 940 non turbo Yazaki instrument cluster wanted for 1992 car.
My speedo fried. I changed the capacitors as per the forum link but it's still not working. Thanks Ken.
still looking......
The Following User Says Thank You to volvulus For This Useful Post: