Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor repairer?

Views : 2654

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 7th, 2021, 12:58   #11
Derek UK
VOC Member

I'll preface this by saying that I know nothing about this unit or how it really works. Is it basically redundant after start and a sensible warm up period. How much work does it do +/- during normal running? Would it work acceptably well feeding a fixed but average signal to the ECU?
I'm thinking of a switched type potentiometer which has resistors controlling the output at each switched step. These are used for volume controls on hi fi. By altering the resistors you could create an output curve that suits, say starting/cruising/sporty driving. Yes it would be manual but as a cheap compromise it might work. Experimentation would take time but resistors are cheap and so are these type of pots if bought from China. They are pretty well all made there anyway.
If I'm talking rubbish I will not be unhappy if I'm told that!!
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2021, 15:20   #12
packers1712

Hi I realise I’m jumping in a decent way through this thread but I have had a decent amount to do with these owning a VW Type 3 with D Jet, it is not possible to swap this sensor for anything else there are way too many variables that it controls and it is a highly tuned piece of kit specific to your car only which is set up at Bosch for each manufacturer depending on engine size all the way to where the car was destined for in the world (external atmospheric considerations), I’ve been to this movie! I have a good one of these that I bought from Canada last year unfortunately it is a 007 not a 010 number at the end of the part number rendering it no good for your car. When your checking the vacuum make sure you have a good seal around the pipe inlet as that can be a cause of rapid leaks!
Good luck finding a replacement I found them to be like the proverbial rocking horse sh@t and good ones are fetching big money. Make sure if you are going to buy a second hand one (as opposed to NOS) that the tamper bung in the end is still present if not it will have been adjusted and without the proper knowledge of these can make the car they’re fitted to run terribly!

Doug.
packers1712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2021, 17:42   #13
142 Guy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
I'll preface this by saying that I know nothing about this unit or how it really works. Is it basically redundant after start and a sensible warm up period. How much work does it do +/- during normal running? Would it work acceptably well feeding a fixed but average signal to the ECU?
I'm thinking of a switched type potentiometer which has resistors controlling the output at each switched step. These are used for volume controls on hi fi. By altering the resistors you could create an output curve that suits, say starting/cruising/sporty driving. Yes it would be manual but as a cheap compromise it might work. Experimentation would take time but resistors are cheap and so are these type of pots if bought from China. They are pretty well all made there anyway.
If I'm talking rubbish I will not be unhappy if I'm told that!!
Definitely not redundant after start. It is the electrical equivalent of the venturi and metering jets in a carburetor and is the primary sensor that determines how much fuel should be delivered for each engine cycle.

Unfortunately, a variable resistance as a substitute for the signal on the output winding of the sensor will not work. That would be an easy fix if it did.
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 142 Guy For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2021, 17:46   #14
142 Guy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by packers1712 View Post
When your checking the vacuum make sure you have a good seal around the pipe inlet as that can be a cause of rapid leaks!
I was about to apply a similar bit of advice to make sure that it is not the internal seals in the hand vacuum pump that are allowing leak down. Wouldn't be the first time that the test equipment gave erroneous results.
Old Mar 7th, 2021, 20:10   #15
ChasesDragons

Thank you Doug, Derek and c1800. That is info that will narrow my search. It is becoming increasingly apparent that a different engine management system is worth exploring.

142, again, you have left me standing in the dust with your knowledge!! 👀💫

Kurt has been very kind and helpful over on the Facebook P1800 groups. There are two issues with getting it from him - I am on the other side of the pond and her Majesty will screw me with about 40% of all the associated costs of getting it here, then I have to get it further tuned here. I did not even think of the third problem of cold running. He has moved to.Florida nowadays, which doesn't exactly suffer our weather either.

I have found British sources who work with MS and I will take advice from them re any of the other management systems that might be relevant and established here. Thanks also to the reference for the Brit tuner.

The vacuum seal was checked - it is on a freshly brightened nipple. The Vacuum held on two of the W114 MAP sensors so its own integrity is trustworthy.

C1800, you are echoing concerns by other people that I have spoken to, that there will be borewash and petrol everywhere from my attempts. The fresh oil now stinks of petrol (opening the rocker cover to set TDC), I dread to think of the brand new spark plugs condition.

Question now is gentlemen- how big is the jump from an inevitable MAP sensor and loom buy to a new Engine Manahement system......
ChasesDragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2021, 22:15   #16
142 Guy
Master Member

If you pay somebody else to build it, install it with a custom wiring harness and then do the software configuration and tuning you will be way beyond the cost of a MAP sensor rebuild by Bosch or a rebuilt sensor from Scandcar or Iroll. I suspect that you would be in the same cost range as if you purchased an engine, transmission, engine wiring harness and ECU from a wrecked 10 year old Mazda MX5 and transplanted it into the 1800 (that is based on wrecker costs in North America).

If you are prepared to wade into the Megasquirt manuals (or the application guides for whatever system you might purchase) then the costs become more reasonable. I acquired a lot of my parts from a local pick and pull salvage yard and I repurposed the orignal D jet harness. Total cost of my system is probably in the $700 - $1000 Cdn range which includes a spare controller; but, is based upon MS2 prices from about 7 years ago. Still more expensive than a rebuilt Bosch MAP sensor and its going to take a while before you can get the car to the point that you can drive it.

I would be inclined to re assess the condition of the D jet system. If it is just the MAP sensor that is faulty, I personally would be inclined to consider the purchase of a rebuilt MAP sensor rather than launching on a conversion to digital EFI unless you want a project that is going to take you well past the end of the COVID 19 lock down (I hope).
Old Mar 7th, 2021, 23:40   #17
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasesDragons View Post
Thank you Doug, Derek and c1800. That is info that will narrow my search. It is becoming increasingly apparent that a different engine management system is worth exploring.

142, again, you have left me standing in the dust with your knowledge!! 👀💫

Kurt has been very kind and helpful over on the Facebook P1800 groups. There are two issues with getting it from him - I am on the other side of the pond and her Majesty will screw me with about 40% of all the associated costs of getting it here, then I have to get it further tuned here. I did not even think of the third problem of cold running. He has moved to.Florida nowadays, which doesn't exactly suffer our weather either.

I have found British sources who work with MS and I will take advice from them re any of the other management systems that might be relevant and established here. Thanks also to the reference for the Brit tuner.

The vacuum seal was checked - it is on a freshly brightened nipple. The Vacuum held on two of the W114 MAP sensors so its own integrity is trustworthy.

C1800, you are echoing concerns by other people that I have spoken to, that there will be borewash and petrol everywhere from my attempts. The fresh oil now stinks of petrol (opening the rocker cover to set TDC), I dread to think of the brand new spark plugs condition.

Question now is gentlemen- how big is the jump from an inevitable MAP sensor and loom buy to a new Engine Manahement system......
Have you thought about putting the FI system from a late 940 on it ? it should be very close and run like a dream ..It would need a lambda sensor of course

Talking of bore wash , when the 144GL and 1800E were new they came in from the transporter stinking of fuel , there were a couple of pints of fuel in the sump due to all the cold starts in between the factory and dealer ..

Last edited by Clan; Mar 7th, 2021 at 23:42.
Clan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clan For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 8th, 2021, 08:46   #18
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

The jump to mega squirt for FI and ignition on a P1800E would be good, it’s a excellent system. If you can’t do it yourself then it’s finding someone competent to do the work for you at a reasonable cost. Worth contacting the folks selling mega squirt and enquiring about how much to install and who can do it for you.
Old Mar 8th, 2021, 09:29   #19
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Couple of companies to enquire about a conversion and costs: http://www.extraefi.co.uk/services.html
Old Mar 8th, 2021, 16:09   #20
ChasesDragons

My concern is what else is lining up to blow up in the 50 year old system. If I go for a rebuilt MAP.......

Originally, I was going to have someone rip out the engine and install a T4 engine which we thought might just fit in. I think I would like to keep it near as a P1800E megasquirt being the farthest departure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 142 Guy View Post
SNIPPED.

I would be inclined to re assess the condition of the D jet system. If it is just the MAP sensor that is faulty, I personally would be inclined to consider the purchase of a rebuilt MAP sensor rather than launching on a conversion to digital EFI unless you want a project that is going to take you well past the end of the COVID 19 lock down (I hope).
ChasesDragons is offline   Reply With Quote