Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 300/66 Series General

Notices

300/66 Series General Forum for the Volvo 340, 360 and 66 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

B200K Temperature Sensor Wiring

Views : 5406

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 7th, 2021, 01:38   #1
Joseph Martin
Master Member

Default B200K Temperature Sensor Wiring

Shortly before taking my car off the road before its MoT expiring in late November I noticed that my temperature gauge had dropped to 'cold' and the red coolant warning light was on. The car showed no signs of overheating and no loss of coolant, cold hoses or cold air through the vents. I thought this would be the coolant temperature sensor below no. 2 cylinder on the intake manifold side, so I ordered one up. Only when I went to fit it today did I discover that a) I've ordered the wrong one as the one on my car is a spade connector, and b) the wiring itself was actually disconnected and the end of the plug was broken, likely due to the heat exposure and 33 year old plastic. It seemed a bit of a 'stretch' to the coolant temp sensor but it wouldn't plug back in anyway due to it being broken. Do I stand a chance of getting one of these to replace it? And if so, where would it plug in at the other end? A Scottish winter day today meant I didn't spend too long under the bonnet to investigate. Thanks in advance.
S40 1.6 (x2); 440 1.6i
Joseph Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2021, 09:13   #2
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Have you got a photo? I can't picture what you're saying properly.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2021, 11:33   #3
Joseph Martin
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
I'll try and get one today, it's rather buried under the inlet manifold but will see what I can do!
S40 1.6 (x2); 440 1.6i
The Following User Says Thank You to Joseph Martin For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 10th, 2021, 22:16   #4
Joseph Martin
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
Been trying to upload the pic last night but to no success, I may try another way but a pic is coming!
S40 1.6 (x2); 440 1.6i
Old Feb 11th, 2021, 01:27   #5
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I think he's looking for the wiring colour code for the temp guage sensor Luke, sounds like the sensor he ordered was the ECU sensor for EFi models and not the guage one.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2021, 13:08   #6
Joseph Martin
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I think he's looking for the wiring colour code for the temp guage sensor Luke, sounds like the sensor he ordered was the ECU sensor for EFi models and not the guage one.
Ah I see, sounds like I have the wrong sensor then.

If anyone wants an EFI sensor then let me know!
S40 1.6 (x2); 440 1.6i
Old Feb 11th, 2021, 14:22   #7
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Martin View Post
Ah I see, sounds like I have the wrong sensor then.

If anyone wants an EFI sensor then let me know!
What's the make and part number of the sensor you've got? Also which car/year/fueling is it?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Feb 11th, 2021, 15:08   #8
Joseph Martin
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
What's the make and part number of the sensor you've got? Also which car/year/fueling is it?
I'll check the invoice for the part number etc, the pin is definitely different to the one on my car. My car is a 1988 360 GLE with the B200K, and it's the incorrect part. As I say, the wiring on my car is knackered it seems, so the sensor may be fine. Sensor I bought has a blue electrical connector at the end.

Thanks,

Joseph
S40 1.6 (x2); 440 1.6i
Old Feb 11th, 2021, 16:38   #9
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Martin View Post
I'll check the invoice for the part number etc, the pin is definitely different to the one on my car. My car is a 1988 360 GLE with the B200K, and it's the incorrect part. As I say, the wiring on my car is knackered it seems, so the sensor may be fine. Sensor I bought has a blue electrical connector at the end.

Thanks,

Joseph
That's the carb engine then? Is there only one terminal on the sensor you bought? Can you put a photo of the strange blue connector up?

Old Oct 23rd, 2021, 15:53   #10
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by broodieMoha View Post
How about putting this wire in one branch of a Wheatstone bridge? The resistance of the wire depends on its temperature so you can balance the bridge at 120C.

At room temperature this wire will have a resistance of approx 0.1 Ohm. At 120C it will be around 0.14 Ohm.
What you say is correct but given the ECU temp sensor is 2500 +/-12% at 20C, 0.04 Ohms difference in the wires to/from it won't make a significant amount of difference. Even at 80C it's in the order of 290-364 Ohms so again, 0.04 Ohms won't make any real difference.

Simple fact is the supplied sensor was for the engine management ECUs, it should have been for the instrument in the dash which uses a different sensor.

Also the broken wiring to the gauge sensor would give exactly the symptoms the OP described.