Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC70 Dipped Beam Performance - Downright Dangerous

Views : 17590

Replies : 92

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: XC70 Dipped Beam Performance
Great - no problem 25 22.32%
Not bad - ok for me 17 15.18%
Could be better 51 45.54%
Downright Dangerous 19 16.96%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 21:55   #21
Westyman
VOC Member

My 2010 V70 - allegedly a 2011 model but they never listed my spec in the 2011 price list - has rubbish dipped lights, Halogen Hwhatever. Brighter bulbs, as per Nightbreakers wouldn't help as they are just set too low IMHO.
Can the dipped be raised separately to the mains? IIRC on the last V70 the whole unit was moved so dipped and mains went together. But I may be talking rubbish.....
1972 MG B GT
Westyman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Westyman For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 29th, 2012, 21:47   #22
GrantA
Master Member

Don't have any problem with my non-active Xenons in fact I find them very bright and certainly better than my old Merc C220 CDI dipped lights. Every time I start the car the dipped lights do a quick check up and down and settle into a good alignment position for driving in the dark depending on the load in the car. Headlights are great, can't find fault with them either.

Last edited by GrantA; Nov 29th, 2012 at 22:19.
GrantA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2012, 22:32   #23
S40 Squared

Had this fault on our S80 SE Lux 2 years ago. The active bi-xenons required a software upgrade. In short, they were too low, so driving 200 miles south from Glasgow in the new year of 2010 was tricky. Once fixed, all is fine.
Old Nov 30th, 2012, 18:51   #24
clivea
clivea

I've got Osram Nightbreaker plus in the dips and they are a big improvement over the OEM bulbs, but life is 12k miles or just over the year. Although changing them is a 20-30 minute job in total as the Xc 70 is well designed in this respect. I'd still have preferred dedicated long life day running lights like my first Volvo 245 had. Such is progress!

April 2014 Subaru Forester XE Lineatronic.
2010-April 2014 XC70 SE Premium 205ps D5 Geartronic AWD 2010MY Oyster Grey
clivea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2012, 23:02   #25
mollusk
VOC Member

The wife has an 2012 XC70 with bendy xenons - never been happy with dipped beams - always found setting way too low. (mains superb).

Reported as a problem at service 2 weeks ago (was given 2013 S40 as a loan car and found it's dip far far worse!). After service, dealer reported that they had adjusted lamps to MOT standard (could not explain why lamps were not already set to Mot std.!!).

Result - dipped beam now MUCH better, and perfectly adaquate.

So if you're unhappy - moan at the dealer - they may be able to improve things.

Mollusk.
mollusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2012, 22:44   #26
MartinK

On my 2009 XC70 (standard lights) I upgraded to Philips Extrem (after hitting a deer on the A9 in the dark). It was then that i decided the lights needed improving.

I also spent a good while re-aligning them.

Now they're actually pretty good - certainly acceptable.

And thanks to this chap (AA Milne):
Quote:
Fog lamps are for use when it's foggy and only with sidelights on. The fog lights on the XC70 are very good when used in this manner. Visibility without horrendous glare from the fog.

Their use in any other conditions is illegal, and for good reason. They dazzle oncoming traffic and quite frankly, they're a pain in the arse.

Now, apart from the illegality of using them, they're actually pointless in anything other than really foggy weather and provide absolutely no extra additional visibility - they light up the road right in front of the car, at low level to get under the fog as much as possible.
Switch those fogs off NOW and give us a break - you should NEVER drive with dip beam and fogs. If you want to use them as driving lights, then treat them as full beam - and switch them off when anyone else is in view.
MartinK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 5th, 2012, 22:40   #27
GrantA
Master Member

Just drove 70 miles up the Great Glen in Scotland in pitch dark and the lights were great no problems at all with dip or main beam. Before I left the car was parked in front of a white wall and one thing I did notice when I flashed my headlights the Xenon dipped beams appeared to rise up to the same level as the headlights. I switched to main beam and the same happened, both the dip and main beam lights appeared to shine at the same level. I could be wrong but that is what it appeared to me. The dip beams always do an up and down check before they settle when I start the car so I suppose they could tip up on main beam. Has anyone else noticed this or should I take more water in my whisky? LOL.
Old Dec 5th, 2012, 22:47   #28
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantA View Post
Just drove 70 miles up the Great Glen in Scotland in pitch dark and the lights were great no problems at all with dip or main beam. Before I left the car was parked in front of a white wall and one thing I did notice when I flashed my headlights the Xenon dipped beams appeared to rise up to the same level as the headlights. I switched to main beam and the same happened, both the dip and main beam lights appeared to shine at the same level. I could be wrong but that is what it appeared to me. The dip beams always do an up and down check before they settle when I start the car so I suppose they could tip up on main beam. Has anyone else noticed this or should I take more water in my whisky? LOL.
yes completely normal , dip assists main beam there ...
Old Mar 7th, 2014, 12:28   #29
100K+
Premier Member

One point I'd make to anyone who manually adjusts the "computer controlled" headlights up ......

Remember to manually adjust them back down again before service else when your car is returned to you, the lights will be lower, and you will have lost the ability to raise them..

Cheers

Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2014, 00:50   #30
PEGE63
Master Member

We had a another post on this subject last sept/oct on the same lines, took me awhile to get used to the lights and it did not help with wet roads etc as in certain conditions nothing helps. I fitted philips Extreme and have them adjusted to be as high as legally possible. Overall they work fine now..

V70 D5 (185) SE Sport, Geartronic, 58 MY08 4C. 133k
(before Avensis 55 95K, P97 945 LPT 2.3FK 113K and J92 945 2.0T 165K)
PEGE63 is offline   Reply With Quote