Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bringing a 740 back to life

Views : 23117

Replies : 240

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 29th, 2021, 21:02   #151
Challo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiloran View Post
Start her up, get her up to temperature and give that hose a squeeze (with gloves on). As Dave says, hopefully just a perished or not tight enough hose but that's where my HG blew. Didn't overheat but squeezing that hose caused coolant to spray out of gasket between the head and the block. I'm sure it's not that, but that's how my blown HG revealed itself...
Thanks. What’s interesting is that I took the car out yesterday, and noticed a damp patch when I went out tonight. When I topped up the coolant bottle with water it created another loads of drips to come out.

No idea if that means anything, but the car was cold as I didn’t attempt to start it. I’ll check the pipes for leaks. Don’t fancy having to drain the system again as getting rid of old coolant is a nightmare
Challo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Challo For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 29th, 2021, 22:00   #152
Challo

So had a quick look underneath and managed to take some photos. You can see the coolant in the light and seems to be underneath the water pump.

I did squeeze the pipe and that doesn’t look to be leaking. Water pump gasket?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 5DA972D7-AF1A-4F4E-BADC-D985E6C5B073.jpeg (110.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpeg CE2E7CF6-983F-4E3C-ABF1-C8A8A912D68C.jpeg (126.7 KB, 9 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Challo For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 29th, 2021, 22:15   #153
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challo View Post
So had a quick look underneath and managed to take some photos. You can see the coolant in the light and seems to be underneath the water pump.

I did squeeze the pipe and that doesn’t look to be leaking. Water pump gasket?
Looks very like the hose to me Chris :

Unless i'm mistaken, the end is delaminating and leaking, also on the other pic there is a clean patch on the underside of the water pump stub where the hose meets it which is probably the source of your leak.

If you can see what i mean and perhaps confirm it in "real life", i would suggest renewing that hose. If you're very quick and have new clips on a new hose, you should be able to loosen the clips on this one, loosen the hose at both ends then whipe it off and the new one back on without losing too much coolant. If you have a bowl/bucket below, that will cath most of it and you can then just add it back in, topping up if needed.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 30th, 2021, 10:00   #154
Ian21401
Premier Member

Dave’s diagnosis appears to be the first port of call BUT.
I cannot see it in your images but there may be what I term a “weep hole” on the underside of the water pump body under the internal shaft. I cannot remember now but it may be partly obscured by the pulley. My water pump started to leak from that hole due to some internal seals failing. It gradually increased until I replaced the water pump.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.

Last edited by Ian21401; Jul 30th, 2021 at 10:03. Reason: Add text.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 30th, 2021, 10:20   #155
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
Dave’s diagnosis appears to be the first port of call BUT.
I cannot see it in your images but there may be what I term a “weep hole” on the underside of the water pump body under the internal shaft. I cannot remember now but it may be partly obscured by the pulley. My water pump started to leak from that hole due to some internal seals failing. It gradually increased until I replaced the water pump.
That's a very good point Ian but one of the things that led me to my conclusion is in one of the pics, you can actually "follow" a "clean path" from the visible drip to the point where i believe the hose is leaking.

That said i could still be wrong as although those photos are good, there is still the age-old thing that they may not have captured exactly how it is because of photo angle, refraction/reflection of light and so on.

The other option would be a bucket/bowl underneath, loosen the Jubilee clip and pull the hose off the water pump stub and inspect. If memory serves, there's enough length on that hose to cut 3/4" (20mm) off the end and refit after giving the stub a clean with Scotchbrite or similar to remove any limescale. Once refitted return the contents of the bucket/bowl (preferably through a filter so as to not introduce any dirt that may have been washed off the underside of the pump etc) to the expansion tank, run up to temperature and check.

PS...... Purely for technical interest, on my other beast the "tell-tale hole" as it is termed on that car is hidden but any leaks from it present as a leak of coolant from the crankshaft pulley. This means urgent renewal of the timing belt and water pump as it signifies the water pump will let go imminently which will throw the timing belt too. The timing belt interval is 96k on that and the water pump is a service item at 120k, the wise owner replaces both at 96k.

The shortest time/distance i've heard of from the leak being noticed to throwing the timing belt was 7 miles - i think the owner just hadn't noticed as it's usually a bit more but he was lucky and no valve-piston contact occurred.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........

Last edited by Laird Scooby; Jul 30th, 2021 at 10:28. Reason: PS.....
Old Jul 30th, 2021, 14:19   #156
Challo

Right gents…grabbed a photo of the hose and it’s not the best. Obviously been over tightened previously, but as mentioned never leaked before.

I’ll get the quick repair done tomorrow and trim the hose accordingly and refit. I’ll also give that areas a degrease as well to make things clearer to spot leaks.

Hopefully that should pin point if it’s the hose or the water pump or something else.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 38E84F25-ED02-443A-8FFF-E1FADCD8897E.jpeg (106.8 KB, 4 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Challo For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 30th, 2021, 14:46   #157
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Right gents…grabbed a photo of the hose and it’s not the best. Obviously been over tightened previously, but as mentioned never leaked before.

I’ll get the quick repair done tomorrow and trim the hose accordingly and refit. I’ll also give that areas a degrease as well to make things clearer to spot leaks.

Hopefully that should pin point if it’s the hose or the water pump or something else.
What you could do Chris if you have a really sharp Stanley knife is to use the Jubilee clipe as a guide, cut round the hose (against the edge of the clip) on the good side, remove the Jubilee clip (in practice just loosen it and slide it up onto the good part of the hose) then slice in the direction of the hose towards the end/water pump.
Remove the piece of hose you've just cut off the end of the hose, push the good hose further on to the stub and tighten the Jubilee clip.

It looks like there's enough good hose on the water pump stub that it won't come off so you can cut the bad end off easily this way without removing the hose to do it but would pay to have a bucket/bowl just in case.

I can do a couple of drawings if it helps to explain.......

Just one drawing, should help explain what i mean.

Last edited by Laird Scooby; Jul 30th, 2021 at 15:03. Reason: Drawing
Old Jul 30th, 2021, 14:51   #158
Challo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
What you could do Chris if you have a really sharp Stanley knife is to use the Jubilee clipe as a guide, cut round the hose (against the edge of the clip) on the good side, remove the Jubilee clip (in practice just loosen it and slide it up onto the good part of the hose) then slice in the direction of the hose towards the end/water pump.
Remove the piece of hose you've just cut off the end of the hose, push the good hose further on to the stub and tighten the Jubilee clip.

It looks like there's enough good hose on the water pump stub that it won't come off so you can cut the bad end off easily this way without removing the hose to do it but would pay to have a bucket/bowl just in case.

I can do a couple of drawings if it helps to explain.......
Thanks Dave I understand. I will give it a go tomorrow if the rain holds and see how we go.
Old Jul 31st, 2021, 15:01   #159
Challo

Looks like it is the water pump. Did the fix on the pipe and removed a little bit from the end and refitted.

Started the car and you can see coolant dripping out from underneath the pump. I checked the hose and the end is dry so nothing coming from that. Looks like another fix I need to do before i can get it properly on the road.

Frustrating as everything looked good after the MOT. Back in the garage she goes.
Old Jul 31st, 2021, 16:43   #160
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Looks like it is the water pump. Did the fix on the pipe and removed a little bit from the end and refitted.

Started the car and you can see coolant dripping out from underneath the pump. I checked the hose and the end is dry so nothing coming from that. Looks like another fix I need to do before i can get it properly on the road.

Frustrating as everything looked good after the MOT. Back in the garage she goes.
That's a nuisance Chris! Just to be sure, it's not coming from the seal between the pump and head is it?

If not and you're convinced it's the pump shaft seals (only other place it can leak except the gasket which would be obvious) then it's a new pump - go for an SKF one, they're a bit dearer than most but you don't want to have to do the job again in a few months!