Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General > 850/x70 S1 Wants
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Egg crate grill and other bits wanted

Views : 387

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 22nd, 2021, 19:47   #1
Mattyw1991

Default Egg crate grill and other bits wanted

After a few parts for a car I’ve just bought.

Egg crate front grill, strut brace, front passenger black leather seat in good condition, will buy both fronts if needing to.

Some nice wheels, comets, nebs, or maybe some decent bolas, rotas, 17s preferably
Mattyw1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2021, 21:57   #2
Mattyw1991

Would maybe buy some titans or pegs. Also in need of a gear gaiter as mine is torn slightly.

Possibly R bumpers too

Thanks
Old Jul 24th, 2021, 11:20   #3
SteveSarre
Premier Member

Hi Matty

What car have you just bought?

Presume V70 not C70.

I have some good black leather front seats from a 1998 V70

I have removed the leather skins from the drivers seat. Passenger side skins are still in place (but could be removed to save transport costs).

Steve
Far south west
V70 2.5 Turbo AWD Auto 1998 Green, V70 2.5 10V Auto BiFuel 1999 Red (scrapped) V70 20v Auto 1999 Green (scrapped)
SteveSarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2021, 12:43   #4
Mattyw1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSarre View Post
Hi Matty

What car have you just bought?

Presume V70 not C70.

I have some good black leather front seats from a 1998 V70

I have removed the leather skins from the drivers seat. Passenger side skins are still in place (but could be removed to save transport costs).

Steve
Far south west

Hi Steve

Thanks for reply, yes v70 TDI.

Sourced an egg crate grill and a 2 fob kit already.

Passenger seat is a bluey tinge, what does changing the skins entail? Is it easy enough to do and would changing them sort my issue? Sorry if they’re dumb questions?
Old Jul 28th, 2021, 16:14   #5
SteveSarre
Premier Member

Hi Mattyw1991

The skins are mainly held on with "hog rings" which are small loops of steel wire pinched to pull the skin to a frame.

The skins are in two parts for each seat - the upright back part, and the seat squab part.

It is much easier to do anything skin related if the seat is out of the car.
They are heavy. I strongly recommend not trying to do it on your own. It is very easy to damage other parts of the bodywork and interior if you try to do it on your own.

Before you remove a seat, you must disconnect the battery, discharge any residual charge in the SRS system and disconnect the SRS wires that run to the seat air bags (certainly in the drivers seat - I dont remember about the passenger side). Otherwise you may end up with an SRS code which only a dealer can clear.

Once you have a seat out you can look around the edges and see the hog rings.

Removing the upright skin is a bit more tricky than removing the seat squab because you will have to remove the headrests and also the lumbar adjustment knobs.

Google to learn more about the skin replacement process.

Depending on why you want to replace your seats (torn, worn etc), it is simplest just to buy a whole seat unit from a scrappie. But you need to take note of the driver's side seat controls (if electric) and air bag systems (various over the years).

Or to save transport costs, you could switch just the skins.

HTH
Steve
V70 2.5 Turbo AWD Auto 1998 Green, V70 2.5 10V Auto BiFuel 1999 Red (scrapped) V70 20v Auto 1999 Green (scrapped)
SteveSarre is offline   Reply With Quote