Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Buying 940 Classic Wagon with 500000km!?

Views : 389

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 27th, 2021, 11:43   #1
SalvadorP
Master Member

Default Buying 940 Classic Wagon with 500000km!?

So, I'm about to make the payment on this 1997 940 wagon. My dream car, but it has 500000km. It costs 2k. It's a 1 owner, pristine exterior and interior, I mean, other than a few cracks on the bumpers, a front lip with a crack in the midle and the wheel peeling off a bit, the car is brand new.
Car comes with an extensive record of maintenance, always done at the volvo dealership where the car was bought. Owner also provided receipts of an engine rebuilt in 2019 worth 3k€. Considering the parts listed, I believe the car overheated.

Known problems include faulty ac, stops working when the car is runing for a bit, kicks back in when you let it idle. And a leak that I couldn't figure out if it was just the ac condensation or something worse. Also I couldn't hear the turbo kicking in when I test drove the car.

I'm obviously a bit scared of buying a 500000km, but the maintenance record is so extensive and detailed that I think the risk is kinda minimal. But I'm not sure if I'm downplaying the risk just because I'm in love with it. Then there is the engine rebuilt, 600€ in head repair, all gaskets, radiator, sensor, piston rings, etc. I find it unlikely that the engine can be in bad shape after just 3 years (24000km). Also the fact that the car is so well taken care of. It's hard to believe that this car might be holding a big sour surprise.

The inspection is due in mid august so the hipothesis of the guy wanting to sell the car before the time is up just because he discovered something on the car is also on the back of my mind. But again, he just spent 3k on the car 3 years ago. So how bad could that problem be!?

Car has had almost all major components fixed or replaced over its 24 yeard of life. Clutch replacement several times. Suspension. Pumps, Catalytic converter, you name it. It's all in the books. And it shows. It handles quite well, seemed to break well too. Not much power though. Not sure if that's because it's a wagon, something with the engine or turbo related.

Please tell me I'll be fine!
SalvadorP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2021, 12:15   #2
kiloran

Was the engine rebuild done by Volvo? What colour is the coolant in the expansion tank? Can you see where the coolant is leaking from? It depends on how badly it overheated - my car has just blown the headgasket (2 litre non-turbo) and there is block damage which would need machining/skimming to resolve so will need a new block. Was the head skimmed when it was rebuilt? Do you have a list of parts for the head rebuild?
Old Jul 27th, 2021, 12:25   #3
tofufi
Premier Member

My brother's 1994 940 has done 465,000km (289,000 miles) and still drives lovely. It's been fine in the time he has had it, in fact rather more reliable than the '04 plate BMW it replaced.

If it has been well maintained and drives nicely, I'd have no hesitation in buying it. Miles don't kill cars, neglect does

I'd check the turbo is working though - If it's an LPT, it'll only do so much, and if it's a HPT you should have a boost gauge
tofufi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tofufi For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 27th, 2021, 12:29   #4
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofufi View Post
My brother's 1994 940 has done 465,000km (289,000 miles) and still drives lovely. It's been fine in the time he has had it, in fact rather more reliable than the '04 plate BMW it replaced.

If it has been well maintained and drives nicely, I'd have no hesitation in buying it. Miles don't kill cars, neglect does

I'd check the turbo is working though - If it's an LPT, it'll only do so much, and if it's a HPT you should have a boost gauge
Perfect response
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 27th, 2021, 14:21   #5
tofufi
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
Perfect response
Thanks Luke. I should have said, he's had it for 3 years too, so a fair amount of time to gauge longer term reliability
tofufi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tofufi For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 27th, 2021, 15:41   #6
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiloran View Post
Was the engine rebuild done by Volvo? What colour is the coolant in the expansion tank? Can you see where the coolant is leaking from? It depends on how badly it overheated - my car has just blown the headgasket (2 litre non-turbo) and there is block damage which would need machining/skimming to resolve so will need a new block. Was the head skimmed when it was rebuilt? Do you have a list of parts for the head rebuild?
Yes, it was done by volvo and there is a non-specified repair on the head, that alone costing 600€.
Color was blue. DIdn't seem to dirty but I don't remember too well.
I have reason to believe the leak is water condensate from the ac as several people have pointed out to me and I confirmed with the owner that it only happens in the summer.
I have a list of parts yes. It got all gaskets, piston rings, all belts, and some other stuff. I don't know if it heated r not. I'm just led to believe it did juding by the parts list.
Old Jul 27th, 2021, 15:45   #7
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofufi View Post

I'm not sure it is working. But honestly it was the first turbo car I have ever driven and I am a noob, so maybe I'm wrong. Also I couldn't really syep too much on the gas. I must have reached 100km/h or so, but no big acceleration. But acceleration seemed to suck, to be honest.
I might have to do some turbo work in the future or install a manual boost control valve.
EDIT: It's an LPT, B230FK, Manual tranny (M90)
The Following User Says Thank You to SalvadorP For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 27th, 2021, 15:56   #8
kiloran

Hopefully it is condensate - particularly as you're in Lisbon. The only car we own with A/C absolutely pours water out stopping after a long run on a hot day. If you can see where it's dripping from try and collect it. If it's blue, you know it's coolant. If not, it's likely to be condensate. On one of my VWs the a/c outlet helpfully poured water straight over one of the suspension arms.