Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 300/66 Series General

Notices

300/66 Series General Forum for the Volvo 340, 360 and 66 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

340 1.4 rough ans slow idling

Views : 7989

Replies : 206

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jul 16th, 2021, 10:28   #201
Two340'sman
Member
 

Last Online: Jul 27th, 2021 13:21
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: London
Default

Just realised, Bionic Beaver is 18.04 LTS, which I did try, but preferred the layout of Mint. Looks like you will have a couple more years of support.
Two340'sman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Two340'sman For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 16th, 2021, 10:32   #202
Two340'sman
Member
 

Last Online: Jul 27th, 2021 13:21
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: London
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Any fuel in the sump will soon evaporate off once the oil gets hot , fortunately this isn't a problem on carburettor cars* as the engine will be undrivable if the float chamber suddenly floods , a rich idle wont harm anything due to the tiny amounts of fuel used and even the plugs will clean themselves up after some good running miles 👍

* = On injection cars fuel is pumped in regardless with some faults however and lots of cold starts and switching off will leave fuel laying around .
When the first Electronic fuel injection Volvo was launched in 1970 the new cars being shunted around in the Ipswich Raeburn Road compound and then at dealers premises all having lots of short period cold running , the sumps would literally fill with pints of fuel , part of the PDI was to drain and add new oil .
I suppose there is more chance of bore wear if mixture is rich for a long time. Never owned a car with injection, had a couple of company cars that had it (I think) The Capri 2.0 Laser and a very late Cortina 2.0 GL

Last edited by Two340'sman; Jul 16th, 2021 at 10:39.
Two340'sman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Two340'sman For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 16th, 2021, 13:07   #203
Laird Scooby
Premier Member
 
Laird Scooby's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 08:52
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lakenheath
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two340'sman View Post
I suppose there is more chance of bore wear if mixture is rich for a long time. Never owned a car with injection, had a couple of company cars that had it (I think) The Capri 2.0 Laser and a very late Cortina 2.0 GL
Those two Fords both used the Weber 32/36 DGAV carb, the only Capri with fuel injection was the Capri 2.8i using K-Jetronic injection. Even the Sierra (launched in 1982) took a while to gain fuel injection, if memory serves the first was the 2.0 GLSi and 2.0 Ghia i in about 1989/90 with the obvious exception of the XR4i that used the Capri 2.8i drivetrain.

I'm not including the Sierra RS Cosworth, that had EFi but wasn't really a mainstream model for most people.

I seem to recall seeing a messagea few months back when Bionic Beaver did an update that support would end in a couple of years. However i first started using LInux on the previous incarnation so i've already updated once to Bionic Beaver from whatever it was before - think it was the Yakkety Yak version but can't be sure.
__________________
Cheers

Dave

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Rover 827 Sterling and a 765 GLEa V6!
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 16th, 2021, 13:22   #204
Two340'sman
Member
 

Last Online: Jul 27th, 2021 13:21
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: London
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Those two Fords both used the Weber 32/36 DGAV carb, the only Capri with fuel injection was the Capri 2.8i using K-Jetronic injection. Even the Sierra (launched in 1982) took a while to gain fuel injection, if memory serves the first was the 2.0 GLSi and 2.0 Ghia i in about 1989/90 with the obvious exception of the XR4i that used the Capri 2.8i drivetrain.

I'm not including the Sierra RS Cosworth, that had EFi but wasn't really a mainstream model for most people.

I seem to recall seeing a messagea few months back when Bionic Beaver did an update that support would end in a couple of years. However i first started using LInux on the previous incarnation so i've already updated once to Bionic Beaver from whatever it was before - think it was the Yakkety Yak version but can't be sure.
Yes, got me thinking, looked at pics of Capris and Cortinas and they seemed to have carbs. Think auto choke though, perhaps this made me think it was injection. Never liked Cortinas, but this late one they had put a lot of stuff right, even the handling was not bad. The door locks were not up to much. Was in Brent X car park, did shopping and came out to car opened door and thought someone had stolen some of my belongings, was not my car I entered, was a similar red Cortina 2.0 GL. Quickly locked door and went over to mine!

Put a friend on Mint about 6 years ago and it has been pretty well trouble free. Just updated his PC to latest version as support for his ran out a while back.

Last edited by Two340'sman; Jul 16th, 2021 at 13:25.
Two340'sman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Two340'sman For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 25th, 2021, 12:35   #205
Two340'sman
Member
 

Last Online: Jul 27th, 2021 13:21
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: London
Default

Several 10 mile round trips, and trips to Aldi, 340 still running perfectly. Seems to be in better condition than me!
Two340'sman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Two340'sman For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 25th, 2021, 13:00   #206
Laird Scooby
Premier Member
 
Laird Scooby's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 08:52
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lakenheath
Default

Good to hear such excellent news!

This is another one of those "make sure of your basics" threads, shows how much a basic setting wandering slightly off can cause a lot of grief!
__________________
Cheers

Dave

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Rover 827 Sterling and a 765 GLEa V6!
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 25th, 2021, 13:13   #207
Two340'sman
Member
 

Last Online: Jul 27th, 2021 13:21
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: London
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Good to hear such excellent news!

This is another one of those "make sure of your basics" threads, shows how much a basic setting wandering slightly off can cause a lot of grief!
Absolutely, but strange that it was fine for about 10 years, me checking with CO meter before each MOT. No adjustment needed.

The trouble was me b****ring up my CO meter by connecting it reverse polarity to the battery.

At least I have one CO meter working now, thanks to Laird Scooby.
Two340'sman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Two340'sman For This Useful Post:
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:04.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.