Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Convert R Design to Single Exhaust to take Spare Tyre?

Views : 306

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 20th, 2021, 12:06   #1
Howard Riley

Default Convert R Design to Single Exhaust to take Spare Tyre?

I have a 2012 XC90 2.4 AWD R Design D5 with twin exhausts fitted. After a grim experience of a side wall blow out in the middle of nowhere and the inability of the gum injection system to assist i am exploring options to carry a T155 R18 space saver spare. Due to the second exhaust box on the rear offside underside there is no chance of fitting the standard which to secure any suitable size of spare wheel. Anybody know if you can revert/convert to a singe exhaust system by fitting the standard Xc 90 rear exhaust section that would create the necessary space to house the underslung spare wheel. I am happy I can fit the winch and have practiced undoing the necessary rear seat mounts to get it in. I have measured up a scrap single system and compared clearances etc and it looks like a fit. I would, prefer not to carry the spare in the hold area unless i have to. Any advice welcomed?

Cheers

Howard
Howard Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2021, 16:16   #2
XJSDriver
XJS Driver

I have looked into this and should be fairly straightforward; you can get the earlier rear valence to suit the 'single twin' from a breaker and then I imagine any exhaust centre can fit the rear single pipe to replace the double you have now.

I decided to wait as I am sure the exhaust will not be cheap plus the cost of valence replacement and any painting needed will rack up the cost - I imagine you would need to budget around £500 if you include the space saver, hoist etc.
XJSDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2021, 18:04   #3
john langrick
Master Member

Thumbs up

Hi, but I guess you could sell your old exhaust on the'bay' for a handsome price!

Far more than it will cost for a replacement regular but OEM exhaust.

I fitted aftermarket and was a very reasonable cost. about £90 including both boxes, clamps and fittings. Mine delivered from Poland I three days.

John l
john langrick is offline   Reply With Quote