Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo 131 relay question

Views : 1090

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 19th, 2021, 09:56   #1
superspod

Default Volvo 131 relay question

Hi all, I have a 1969 b20 131, and upon trying to trouble shoot an issue with the electrics associated with the top bullet fuse (and having cleaned the fuse box, connections, replaced fuses etc to no avail) I noticed my round relay the SR 803 unit has only got a brown wire and a grey wire plugged in and an empty spade terminal on the bottom.
Could this potentially be the cause of my electrical gremlins? I've tried looking at wiring diagrams to not much luck. If it is the cause, how can I resolve it?
Thank you so much in advance!
superspod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2021, 10:45   #2
Derek UK
VOC Member

Symptoms? What is happening?
Derek UK is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 19th, 2021, 10:48   #3
superspod

Basically nothing on the top fuse system system is working- no brake lights, no wipers, no interior lights, etc. from my research it looks like the missing wire is meant to go to the reversing light switch on the gearbox so i will go check that in a bit!
Old Jul 19th, 2021, 12:15   #4
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Ss;

"nothing on the top fuse system system is working- no brake lights, no wipers, no interior lights," The only load mentioned which is actually powered by Fuse 1 is Wipers. Brake Lights are powered from Fuse 2, (both are Ignition Power) and Interior Lights Fuse 4 (Battery Power).

Relay with Brown wire is for Reversing Light, but it should not have an unused terminal.

See also: https://www.sw-em.com/Fuses,%20Alloc...g.htm#122_(12V)

Good Hunting!

Last edited by Ron Kwas; Jul 19th, 2021 at 12:22.
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 19th, 2021, 12:32   #5
superspod

So update!
Definitely the wire heading to the reversing light switch missing! I suspect this is responsible for at least For the reverse lamp working but maybe the wipers, the washer bottle, and the brake lights not working as well at any point (I've been going off the little card in the fuse box for what is responsible for what)? Hopefully I will be able to find a cable to test this hypothesis soon!
Thank you again for all the help.
Old Jul 19th, 2021, 15:35   #6
simonvolvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by superspod View Post
So update!
Definitely the wire heading to the reversing light switch missing!
The wire (colour code: black) from relay to reversing light switch on the gearbox is not bound up with the rest of the wiring loom. That explains why it easily gets lost/forgotten about “in the heat of battle” (when doing a major job that involves e.g. dropping and re-fitting the engine + gearbox).

Easy enough to make up a new one if it has indeed gone missing.
simonvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to simonvolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 19th, 2021, 18:42   #7
Derek UK
VOC Member

Have you got 12v at either side of the top fuse?
Old Aug 3rd, 2021, 18:24   #8
HRA

Would I be right in thinking that the top fuse is the short fat one? I had one that looked fine but only worked intermittently. The "fuse" bit that "blows" looked ok but there was a dry solder-joint between it and one of the end-caps. Every now and then the gremlins would strike - the car would drop out of overdrive, the radio would go silent and half a mile later the engine would stall because the after-market fuel-pump had stopped. When checking the fuses at the roadside I'd give each one a twiddle and that was enough to remake contact. I could re-start the car and be on my way without ever knowing what the problem had been.

It was only when I got another short fat fuse that I swapped them and took a close look at the original. It's probably still sitting in my desk drawer waiting for me to re-solder it!
HRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2021, 19:44   #9
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

HRA;

Top Fuse 1 is indeed a 7 X 17mm (GBF) 25A shorty. You should check your owners manual for good additional info, but might want to make up the little fuse/load identifier card which resided in each FuseBlock upon delivery. See: https://www.sw-em.com/Fuses,%20Alloc....htm#122_(12V))

...and if you've had intermittent function, I first recommend cleaning all fuse-ends and FB clips to shiny metal, then reinstalling them with a dab of ACZP. See: https://www.sw-em.com/anti_corrosive_paste.htm

7 X 17mm 25A shorty fuses are available...unless you're located on a Jupiter outpost where access and availability might be an issue, repairing fuses is not absolutely necessary...

Also, IF F1 or associated connections open, the AMP Indicator would come ON.

Cheers

Last edited by Ron Kwas; Aug 3rd, 2021 at 22:15.
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2021, 21:46   #10
Derek UK
VOC Member

If you keep giving the top fuse a twiddle it can cut the pointed ends off completely. By luck it can still make contact but worth a very close look.
You can make up a 25 amp blade fuse as a permanent fix or as an emergency add on for your tool box. See Ron's page.

Tags
amazon, electrical gremlins, relays