Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Wants

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1998 940 parts needed please.

Views : 516

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 4th, 2021, 22:35   #1
GingerMagic

Default 1998 940 parts needed please.

It seems the longer I own my new Volvo, the more bits I seem to need replacing.....!

Purely cosmetic stuff mind you, so...

My car is a 1998 940 estate - the bits I am looking to replace are;
The two front sidelight/indicators ( mine are clear but cracked and cloudy ) ideally I would want the clear ones but I'm not fussed if I can only get the orange/clear lights .

I also seem to have a cracked rear lens, so a pair of these wouldn't go amiss either.

Bonnet mounted washer jets, mine are broken and just spurting everywhere

Driver's side headlight wiper is also needed, unless I can get mine working ( it's just clunking and grinding.. )

Driver's door seal too, as mine is torn and worn at the bottom...!

Lastly, some recommendations please for remaps ( mines a lpt I think.. ) and for some roof bars to fit the roof rails.

Once my current car has been MOTed and sold on, then the Volvo will be my daily, so it'll be used in the manner a Volvo estate should be used.

Maybe in the future it'll be polybushed and lowered a bit, but not really a priority unless the current set up wears out or fails.

I'll do a project thread shortly.

Many thanks in advance.
Kelv
2019 Citroen C3 ( wife's )
GingerMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GingerMagic For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 4th, 2021, 22:58   #2
360beast
Go redblock or go home

You can get clear front sidelights from eurocarparts but I believe they are the Taiwanese aftermarket ones that don't fit properly and the locating tags usually break off when you try to fit them.

LH2.4 isn't as easy to tune as modern stuff with a remap, it is old school chip tuning, you can get chips from Martin Smith or Boostin Billy on ebay, you will only be able to chip your fuel ECU as it is a 98, if you can get a gold EZK (ignition ECU) then you can chip that too.

Best thing to do would be get a fuel ECU chip to extend the fuel mapping so it doesn't get boost cut and a manual boost controller to up the boost. The LPT wastegate doesn't hold higher boost pressure very well so it will peak and then drop off. Your best bet is to find a HPT wastegate or to buy a kinugawa wastegate off eBay with the spring selection and set it to the desired pressure. However these 13C turbos don't do very well at higher pressures and start blowing hot at 12psi. These 940s are simple to tune but require quite a lot of parts to make some decent power.

The best thing to do will be

Manual boost controller or kinugawa wastegate (you will need an accurate boost gauge)
Chipped ECU
Different camshaft as the stock one runs out of puff at about 4500rpm so it is like driving a diesel. You will want an A, V, VX, H or K cam but they're getting hard to find.

After that you will probably destroy a tired old clutch and will want a stronger clutch setup and a solid flywheel to remove the dual mass. You will also want to be careful changing in to 3rd so you don't blow the synchromesh. Then you are looking at a bigger turbo, T5 blue injectors with the ballast resisitor deleted and a better flowing exhaust system as the standard system is restrictive especially if an aftermarket system has been fitted where the bends are formed by being ran over with a Volvo.

The spaceship bushes will be knackered no doubt so they will need replacing, here is a guide I made for polybsuhing and I offer it as a service too, I refurbish a set of arms with polybushes for a fee with a deposit and take your old suspension arms from you and return your deposit upon receipt of your old arms if this is something you're interested in.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=307435
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 4th, 2021, 23:22   #3
GingerMagic

Many thanks for the comprehensive reply.

I should have mentioned mine is a 2.3 auto ( insert deep sighs and eye rolling here.... )

I'm only really used to dealing with diesel 406s so retrofitting stuff and remapping ( Bosch ECU ) was relatively straightforward compared to the older petrol Volvo, but I will learn.

Are you saying the only difference between the lpt and the hpt is the wastegate? Is it mechanical or ECU controlled?

I'll investigate the camshaft, may as well do this first before other mods.

As for the rest of the system ( suck, squeeze, bang, blow ) the exhaust is new, recent service and timing belt so I'll give it a few months of daily driving before I decide how far to take it regarding extra horses.
As in, when the exhaust fails, I'll go stainless steel - when the bushes go then I'll go polybush. To be honest the car handles better than I imagined, and I'm well impressed with the turning circle, a rwd trait...

Thanks again for the guidance.
The Following User Says Thank You to GingerMagic For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 5th, 2021, 06:32   #4
360beast
Go redblock or go home

You're very welcome.

Ah yes the autotragic, there's a few on here who love them, I've ditched mine and fitted an M90 manual as I hate automatics. They sap a few mpg and slow down the entire car as they sap power and are lazy in their response/waiting for the kickdown.

Yes the wastegate is the only difference between the HPT and LPT. One is 7psi and the other 3.5psi, another thing to check is to see if the locking pin has rotten away/fallen off so the wastage arm doesn't actuate the wastegate flap so you are making no boost, I've seen this several times now. It is just a mechanical wastegate no clever ECU control.

The best mod to do will be the MBC first as atleast it will give you some useable power straight away, the camshaft swap won't add much power it will mainly allow it to rev for longer. It is a lot of work as you will have to set the valve clearances with new shims so the car will be off the road for several days if not longer, if you do decide to do it I can tell you how but it isn't a quick job. But yes go for a MBC and it will bring the car to life.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 5th, 2021, 07:36   #5
GingerMagic

I used to hate them too, but seeing as I drive an auto lorry ( 12 speeds of hesitancy ) I'm now used to them so to be honest I kinda wanted the slushmatic as it seems pretty suited to the car, quite reliable compared to other marques and at some point in the future my legs will become more useless......

I'll check the wastegate for movement, and see how easy it is to swap it if required.

I'll definitely get the camshaft done, but it'll be in a garage for that as it's out of my league I think, I only have limited tools and know-how.

Thanks again for your input.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GingerMagic For This Useful Post: