Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Wants

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1976 244-DL parts availability

Views : 918

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 28th, 2021, 00:09   #1
atombaum

Default 1976 244-DL parts availability

I originally posted this in the general discussion area, but didn't get any replies, so trying here.

I'm looking at a 1976 244-DL, and it needs a few things, and I'm trying to gauge the difficulty in sourcing them. Please reply if you have insight on parts availability, or actually have the parts (include details, and prices!).

Needs

• Square plastic escutcheon (easily broken) that surrounds the glove box key

• Two dashboard heater/air vent controls: 1) the far right side, and 2) one of the center vents

• Fan switch (position "1" [low speed] not working) - switch or the resistor?

• Period OEM Volvo AM/FM radio (not sure if they were stereo or mono)

• I believe these all had two-tone horns. It sounds like one horn is not working. I think the frequency is stamped on the horns, so if it's supposed to have two, I can get the other frequency. Please verify if this makes sense or not. Maybe some models only had one, single-tone horn?

• Does the hazard switch have a replaceable bulb, or does the whole switch need to be replaced?

Question

• Did all 1976 244DLs with manual transmission have the push-button overdrive? Reason is I'm also looking for an instrument cluster with a working odometer and speedometer, tachometer, etc. and don't know if some manual gearbox cars did not have the cluster light for when the O.D. is enabled. If they all have that indicator, then as long as a cluster has the tachometer, I should be okay. Right? Please verify or enlighten!

Thank you.
1985 DL (manual w/ O.D. / 4-door (’85-’86)
1987 240 DL (automatic / 4-door (’90-’99)
atombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2021, 00:23   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atombaum View Post
I originally posted this in the general discussion area, but didn't get any replies, so trying here.

I'm looking at a 1976 244-DL, and it needs a few things, and I'm trying to gauge the difficulty in sourcing them. Please reply if you have insight on parts availability, or actually have the parts (include details, and prices!).

Needs

• Square plastic escutcheon (easily broken) that surrounds the glove box key try dismantler or volvo for a new one

• Two dashboard heater/air vent controls: 1) the far right side, and 2) one of the center vents should be plenty of these around either new from dealer or scrapped car was around from 1974 - 1981

• Fan switch (position "1" [low speed] not working) - switch or the resistor? Resistor , fan switch is very robust

• Period OEM Volvo AM/FM radio (not sure if they were stereo or mono)

they should be around

• I believe these all had two-tone horns. It sounds like one horn is not working. I think the frequency is stamped on the horns, so if it's supposed to have two, I can get the other frequency. Please verify if this makes sense or not. Maybe some models only had one, single-tone horn?

yes twin tone horns

• Does the hazard switch have a replaceable bulb, or does the whole switch need to be replaced?

yes it has a bulb holder which presses in the rear of the switch

Question

• Did all 1976 244DLs with manual transmission have the push-button overdrive? Reason is I'm also looking for an instrument cluster with a working odometer and speedometer, tachometer, etc. and don't know if some manual gearbox cars did not have the cluster light for when the O.D. is enabled. If they all have that indicator, then as long as a cluster has the tachometer, I should be okay. Right? Please verify or enlighten!

yes the OD light is there on them all , OD was fitted on GL and GLE

Thank you.
I hope that helps
Old Jul 28th, 2021, 03:34   #3
atombaum

Default 1976 244DL tail light cluster photos from INSIDE the trunk

1976 244-DL

Can someone please post a couple photos of what the tail light cluster assembly and connections should look like from INSIDE the trunk? For example, show how they are mounted inside the trunk.

I seem to remember something different in my old 1976 and 1977 242DL cars than what I saw in this 1976 244DL that I'm looking at. There seemed to be no covering or shell around the wire connections. It looked like something was missing. I could be wrong. Maybe they evolved throughout production?

Your help will be greatly appreciated in this matter!
Old Jul 28th, 2021, 15:20   #4
atombaum

Default photos of tail lights from inside trunk

Here are two photos of how the tail lights look in mine. Seems kind of crude and exposed. Maybe later iterations of the 240 series became more eloquent. I don't think my '76 and '77 looked like this, but that was 38 years ago.

Thoughts, comparison photos, comments and replies please!
Old Jul 29th, 2021, 08:45   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Here are two photos of how the tail lights look in mine. Seems kind of crude and exposed. Maybe later iterations of the 240 series became more eloquent. I don't think my '76 and '77 looked like this, but that was 38 years ago.

Thoughts, comparison photos, comments and replies please!
There were black fibre card pressings covering the rear panel as far as i remember .Not something you take much notice of !
Old Jul 29th, 2021, 14:49   #6
atombaum

Would anyone have a set of the black fibre coverings for the back and sides of the trunk?
Old Aug 9th, 2021, 16:52   #7
atombaum

Quote:
Would anyone have a set of the black fibre coverings for the back and sides of the trunk?
Do the fiber boards (trunk sides, and rear - cover the tail light connections) ever become available, or is it a lost cause?
Old Sep 10th, 2021, 02:01   #8
atombaum

Default parts diagram and part numbers

See attached. These are the panels in question. Anyone know where to find these?

2 = carpet for spare tire – p/n: TBD
6 = right side trunk panel – p/n: 1224860
7 = left side tail light panel – p/n: 1264341
8 = right side tail light panel – p/n: 1264342
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trunk Panels Diagram.jpg (44.1 KB, 4 views)
Old Sep 10th, 2021, 09:07   #9
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

You'd probably have to fabricate the side panel; something like Bristol Board or other heavy cardstock with a carpet covering would do. Mock up a template in paper first then get your heavy cardstock. Likewise for the spare wheel carpet, possibly using thick Evergreen styrene to get the radius and bond the carpet to it.

There are probably very few cars of that age in breakers now, and the rear wings are a different shape to the later cars though the later cars might give you the spare wheel cover and a side panel that you can cut to shape.

You could always try Volvo's own Classic Operation, via a main dealer, for the parts as some of the older stuff is still available, albeit with a longish lead time.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2021, 10:24   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Do the fiber boards (trunk sides, and rear - cover the tail light connections) ever become available, or is it a lost cause?
you could make your own ......

https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/product/1648/millboard