Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine Temp High reduce speed

Views : 1998

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 31st, 2021, 09:10   #11
taxi driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olaf Els View Post
I suggest using an infrared thermometer to help understand what's going on in the cooling system. Lots of info online about how to do this.

If you don't have access to one, they aren't expensive. Much cheaper than wasted garage hours.

You'll also be able to rule out a defective temperature sensor.
That sounds a brilliant idea!
taxi driver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to taxi driver For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 31st, 2021, 10:41   #12
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

Water pump could be U/S. A rare failure on these, but the symptoms fit.

Better to do this systematically than justnusing the scattergun approach - Whip the sensors out and test them, reverse flush the system, check the rad for damage and degradation. All those are free checks, and once eliminated only the pump remains.

Last edited by Familyman 90; Jul 31st, 2021 at 10:44.
Familyman 90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2021, 11:15   #13
taxi driver

The sensor has been changed for a new Volvo part. My understanding with the water pump is efficiently wise they either work or leak. I am coming to the conclusion that radiator degradation is probably going to be the culprit.
taxi driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2024, 23:52   #14
2010XC70fan
XCfan

Default 2010XC70 overheating issues

I have exactly the same problem with our 2010XC70D5: Can drive around all day at low speed and car will not bring up message. As soon as you go on the highway or up a steep hill it will bring up the "yellow warning message" and eventually the Red one telling you to stop. Stop the car and the fans run on for 3 or 4 min and she cools down a bit and you can continue (slowly).

There is no evidence of a blown head gasket...no coolant in the oil, no oil or exhaust gasses in the cooling system, no bubbling at any time.

Work done so far:
Coolant system flush including the cabin heater core. Notably prior to the flush, the cabin heater would not produce heat but now is, indicating that there was a blockage. Also there was lots of "gunk" came out of the cooling system.
New water pump and belts.
New thermostat.
New radiator.
New engine coolant temperature sensor.
Coolant system flush (again).
Unfortunately the problem continues to be an issue.
Tearing my hair out!
I am wondering if anyone knows of a safe solution that may break down any further contaminants that are likely still within the cooling system galleries and that may be preventing the transfer of heat to the coolant.
2010XC70fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2024, 15:10   #15
mcfe

Well, my question to you is, is it an automatic? If it is I can add another source for the overheating. Some of these automatics use just the internal built-in cooler of the radiator, if so, the radiator is trying to cool both the engine and gearbox. This normally would not be a problem, but if the torque converter is slipping it CAN raise the temps(such as to 150) and make the engine start overheating.

If it isn't, it is still likely pointing to a head gasket.

Last edited by mcfe; Feb 9th, 2024 at 15:13.
mcfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2024, 14:44   #16
ShadeTek
Premier Member

Sounds like the water pump vanes are worn away with reduced amount of water circulating the engine. If you do need to dump heat out of the engine in a hurry to save your head gasket, turn the cabin fan, the heating up to full and the air con on to get the radiator fan to rotate.

V70 SE NAV 1.6 D2 2015MY POWERSHIFT, D4162T, 86000miles, RED.
/VOL FCR/PEPER OBD2/Acron 9135 OBD2/L.E.D Flasher/VDASH/ANCEL BA301
ShadeTek is offline   Reply With Quote