Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My new V40

Views : 1373

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 1st, 2015, 11:20   #1
villarsch

Default My new V40

Well, it has finally arrived V40, R + Nav, colour Inscription Electric Silver (my wife's chouice) with the T5 engine (my choice). Only major opions not fitted is the TV and lowered ride height (althouth I did specify the adjustable steering force. Only complaint is the time it took to get the care. Ordered on 18 November, delivered to the dealee 30 January. But well worth the wait, as it is a really splendid car. I traded in my S80 V8 Exec., and have absolutely no regrets. The V40 ride is much better that many people have warned, and the performance is really outstanding.
There is, however, one important query on which I hope someone could help. During the over-two-months' wait, I read the handbook for the car. Thishandbook is the more universal edition than the one which comes with the car, and it lists as an option or accessory the fitting of a front camera. This seems to me to be a very useful safety feature, but the very helpful dealer, Lookers, can find no mention of this feature in the Volvo UK's site. Can anyone advise if it is in fact available in other European markets? If so, it seems very bad that such a safety feature is not available in the UK.

Otherwise, the car is more that I could have hoped for.

Regards, Villarsch
villarsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2015, 06:50   #2
Marc01

Congrats on your new car, I am very jealous of your T5 I was torn between this and the new D4, went with the D4 and will now wait and see over the next few years how the diesel situation pans out.
I would be really intrested to hear of your real world mpg after you have some miles on the clock.

As for the camera is this not part of the city safety pack? I,m not sure it's a camera in the traditional sense and works in tandem with the radar to detect pedestrians and cyclist on your blind side. Not 100% sure on this as I did not spec that pack.
Marc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2015, 15:32   #3
villarsch

Many thanks for your reply. Unfortunately the front camera is not part of any pack which is available in the UK. It does seem perverse of Volvo UK not to make available such a good safety feature. I am trying to see where this accessory can be obtained on the continent, so that I can go to the country and get one fitted.

Regards,

Villarsch
villarsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2015, 11:46   #4
Marc01

Ok my bad thought you meant the safety camera which is it appears standard across the V40 range mine even has it. A front camera in this car though I would of thought more of a convenience thing for parking rather than safety.
Old Feb 6th, 2015, 18:02   #5
IamDave

Nice choice of car :thumb_up: also very jealous of your T5, if I could've stretched my budget and if they did it in a manual I would've got one! As for the front camera I do recall seeing it possibly on the Volvo website does it not come as part of the driver assistance pack?

EDIT: Just looked myself and indeed it doesn't as you said. I have seen a video of it somewhere though, two cameras mounted on/near both wings?
Rebel Blue.

Last edited by IamDave; Feb 6th, 2015 at 18:04.
IamDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2015, 18:20   #6
cumbrianmale
Forum Support Team

Would it not be part of the lane departure warning or the system which recognises road signs.

Previous Volvos
90 240 GL B230FB Auto
96 940 CD
13 V40 D2 R-design
89 745 GLE
98 V90 3.0 24v
98 945 Celebration Auto
96 965 SE Auto
86 744 GL
81 244 DL
cumbrianmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2015, 19:40   #7
Marc01

Quote:
Originally Posted by cumbrianmale View Post
Would it not be part of the lane departure warning or the system which recognises road signs.
I think he means the front camera similar to the rear reversing camera not to he safety camera which is part of the driver support pack.
Old Feb 9th, 2015, 19:52   #8
volvorocks
Rodney

There is a front blind view camera for Volvos, fitted in the grille, in the badge I think. This allows you to 'see round corners'. Then there is the rear parking camera that is (obviously.!!) at the rear, then there is BLIS, which has detectors in the wing mirrors that look like cameras.

Regards

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc01 View Post
I think he means the front camera similar to the rear reversing camera not to he safety camera which is part of the driver support pack.
The safety 'camera' such as with radar cruise or city safety is more a detector rather than a camera (if people think 'camera' they generally think 'pictures')

Regards

Last edited by volvorocks; Feb 9th, 2015 at 20:03.
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2015, 19:57   #9
volvorocks
Rodney

In fact here it is

If it doesn't show straight away when clicking the link - Scroll down to Sensus Connected Touch then click the third white dot...

http://www.volvocars.com/uk/all-cars...cessories.aspx

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote