Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

diesel engine conversion...minilites... spots...

Views : 6140

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 21:42   #1
mike7

Default diesel engine conversion...minilites... spots...

Hi Guys,
just wondering if anyone has installed a diesel engine of some sort into an Amazon, and if so how was it done? I might be looking to try this in the future if I ever find a rat Amazon to try it on.
I also fancy a set of minilite wheels for my 122S. Where is the best place to try and find some?
Finally, fancy a pair of spots for above. What would be the ones to keep the car fairly in the 60's-70's period and again, where to find them?

cheers,Mike
mike7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 22:58   #2
TomG
Rat Rodin Fool

don't understand why anyone would want to put a diesel IN a car, i thought you were only ment to take em out.

As for the minilites, you can get a set of 114.3's from Midland Wheels

1968 Volvo Amazon 133 B20
TomG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TomG For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 23:27   #3
222s
Amazoniste

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomG View Post
don't understand why anyone would want to put a diesel IN a car, i thought you were only ment to take em out.
I can - a modern turbot diseasel lump would be superb! Torque curve like Table Mountain, plenty of power & reluctant to use fuel!!! But then I do use my Amazon for towing so I like torque.

The main question is which engine. Many older tech ones would be available as genuine scrapyard parts and although less powerful & less refined than some of the current ones, they would have the advantage of not being so picky about what they are fed

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 23:31   #4
TomG
Rat Rodin Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222s View Post
But then I do use my Amazon for towing so I like torque.

I find my engine is one of the torqueiest engines i've ever owned, and i've had a tractor.

1968 Volvo Amazon 133 B20
TomG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TomG For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 20:22   #5
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

The B20 is a high revving tractor engine.
We have used our amazon to tow start a local non starting ford dexter! More impresive is the fact it had a tipping trailor hitched on, and if that was not good enough there was over a ton of stone in the trailer!!!

If you are very good with wiring etc then a diesel could be a good option for you. Modern diesel engines have a lot of electronics these days.
The older diesles are a problem finding one big enough for the job. You will need a engine of about 2.5ltr for the amazon if it is a pre 2000ish engine. There other issue you will have with newer diesels is a gearbox as most will be fwd.

You would want to be looking probably at a BMW engine as you should be able to drop it in complete.

If you are just looking for more affordable running why not keep it simple (and cheaper) and convert it to LPG.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 21:08   #6
mike7

Hi Guys,
thanks for the replies. I was/am/might consider putting a diesel into a poorer looking amazon than the one I currently have if I ever find one. I was thinking of a 2,383cc D24T Volkswagen 6-cylinder turbodiesel which came out of a 940 so I am told. The reason for this is that I know where one is available quite cheaply.
Classicswedes: Gas might be a serious option for my good car. The only query would be insurance after installing as I would only do the job myself as payback time would be too long on a professional £1000 type of job. Any thoughts are appreciated.
As to the minilites, I am looking now....

cheers,Mike
mike7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 21:19   #7
amazon69
Premier Member

hmmm..was just looking for this site:
http://www.minilite.co.uk/aboutus01.html
genuine minilites, because I knew their prices weren't far off MWS's

I have heard bad things about non genuine minilites, best to buy British anyway!

Er...

Bye.
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 20:53   #8
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Hi Mike,
we do supply DIY LPG kits and this should not be a problem with insurance.
A conversion is not as much as £1000 though.
Our prices for a fully installed amazon start @ £750 for the amazon with a cylinder tank in the boot on a single carb. The add an extra £50 for twin carbs. There is no point in fitting a spare wheel tank as you dont gain anything by doing that.
If you do get a rough amazon and do go dowm the diesel path then I can get some suitable springs made for you.

Our phone number is 01407 832 290
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 23:28   #9
222s
Amazoniste

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
There is no point in fitting a spare wheel tank as you dont gain anything by doing that.
Would it be worth fitting a spare wheel tank to an estate, so that the loadbay is maintained (esp with the rear seat folded down), or are they too deep for the spare wheel well under the boot floor?

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 17:13   #10
Brian M

Mike

As you are a long way from me, I don't mind if your Amazon ends up looking like mine!

Minilites from Minilite.co.uk and 1960's Lucas 5.5 inch spotlights from Autojumbles, wired in as main beam, so they have to be on brackets that come through the grille to meet minimum height.

more pictures in my album at

http://rides.webshots.com/album/172715925vyghLY

Brian

Last edited by Brian M; Oct 5th, 2006 at 17:19. Reason: photo not appearing
Brian M is offline   Reply With Quote