Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Mikuni Carbs

Views : 3376

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 6th, 2016, 15:49   #1
AGT123

Default Mikuni Carbs

Hi,
Has anyone experience of replacing twin SU's with Mikuni carbs?

I am having a total engine rebuild and want to upgrade from the single Stromberg to twins.
Now the SU route seems the most normal way to go but I have read mixed reports on reliability.
Thoughts anyone??

Andy.
Glasgow.
AGT123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2016, 16:35   #2
heckflosse
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGT123 View Post
Hi,
Has anyone experience of replacing twin SU's with Mikuni carbs?

I am having a total engine rebuild and want to upgrade from the single Stromberg to twins.
Now the SU route seems the most normal way to go but I have read mixed reports on reliability.
Thoughts anyone??

Andy.
Glasgow.
SUs are fine, so long as the spindles aren't worn.
Is originality important to you? If so stick with the good old SU and get used to twiddling them monthly...
heckflosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2016, 16:59   #3
AGT123

Hi,
Nop, originality is not important as i believe any improvements to the original are always worthwhile.

My issue is that it appears difficult to source a set of new, or reconditioned SU's.
They are also carbs that time has passed by and there appears to be more efficient carbs out there, easier to maintain & more reliable.

The Mikuni carbs seem to be the carb of choice in the States for fitting to the B20 unit and I just wondered if there were any members running them who could voice an opinion.

Regards,

Andy.
Glasgow.
Old Jul 6th, 2016, 18:27   #4
amazon69
Premier Member

You can get a pair of HS6's which are essentially new from Burlen or Brookhouse. Incredibly reliable carb, never understood why people think otherwise. As long as any spindle wear is taken care of, then they are hard to beat. I'm not sure I agree that the Mikunis are the carb of choice in the states..I know John Parker bangs on about them but I don't see many other advocates, but I could, of course, be wrong.
Old Jul 6th, 2016, 18:54   #5
AGT123

Hi All,
With the greatest of respect I am not looking for input regarding the virtues of the SU setup. I have been using them for years on various classics and wish to move away from them.
In my experience they are unreliable, uneconomical & not the way I want to go with my Amazon.

I will be buying new carbs for my Amazon, just not SU's.

Regards,

Andy,
Glasgow.
The Following User Says Thank You to AGT123 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 6th, 2016, 19:39   #6
tdz840
VOC Member

Whilst John Parker is an advocate of Mikunis you need to ask why they are not the carb of choice in UK and Europe despite similar available source of carbs.
Plus I would suggest the number of tuners on the continent who have many years of experience with the B20, far outweigh the number of Us tuners, but still stick with side drafts or SUs
If you do go with Mikunis, think carefully about sending money over the pond.
Especially with the current exchange rate
Russ
tdz840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2016, 20:41   #7
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

My understanding is tuning capabilities are limited (not as good as weber DCOEs for performance or claimed by Parker) but they are a reliable carb. They have other issues as well regarding fitting and setup.

You'd be best asking on the US Volvo forums. I don't think they're that popular in the US either.
Old Jul 6th, 2016, 20:47   #8
AGT123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khe Sanh View Post
My understanding is tuning capabilities are limited (not as good as weber DCOEs for performance or claimed by Parker) but they are a reliable carb. They have other issues as well regarding fitting and setup.

You'd be best asking on the US Volvo forums. I don't think they're that popular in the US either.
Hi,
Many thanks for your feedback.
Worth a post on that site.

Thanks,

Andy,
Glasgow
Old Jul 6th, 2016, 23:41   #9
jamie
amazon1954

Default Mikunis fitted in Uk

Hi there
I know that Rob Henchoz ordered, received, yes received and then fitted Mikunis for a customer written up on his blog. So you may like to get in touch with him for info from a UK source and user.01379 388400
I hear what you are saying about SUs and you sound like you have reached the end with SUs, but....! pardon me if I say that not everyone shares your view about them and properly set up....usually that means on a rolling road for best accuracy they will give you excellent loyalty, mpg (that is a relative thing) and reliability. However, as Mr Parker says, Mikunis continued research and development long after SUs stopped theirs, so they should be better
Good luck and let us all know, I am still sticking with my SUs until I hear reliably that Mikunis are better in enough ways to suggest I switch
Kind regards from
Jamie
jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2016, 00:05   #10
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

I have never used them. The HS6's are not bad put I prefer HIF44's or Strombergs TBH

A little google came up with this but worth reading much further

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=269517
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote